ADVERTISEMENT

Which teams are your preference for the Sun Bowl?

Florida State and UCLA. We would have got Notre Dame this year, but looks like that's not happening.

Anybody but USC. Nothing but a bunch of crying bitches. Whaaaaa we deserve a better bowl even though we had an average season yet again.

It's just looks like a fun matchup, that'll all. I'm not sure if they've ever played each other. Both party animal schools, except for USC, in El Paso, where they always lose. Getting beat-downs in El Paso is not something you want to tell your kids. Riots could occur if both teams bring their horses and threatening riders, both looking for a fight.

Florida St. vs Stanford but I think Florida St. vs Oregon would be fun

Florida St. vs Stanford but I think Florida St. vs Oregon would be fun

Yes

1a96b37dafb2fd47f8ed85d38d7e375d.jpg

If Christian McCaffrey is healthy and playing, Stanford would be a good choice for the SB. I also don't think either Florida St or Pitt, at this point. Pitt just beat Clemson (to go along with an earlier win vs. Penn St).
Stanford vs. UNC might be interesting .

It doesn't matter what anyone wants. We are locked in certain positions. Bernie gets paid for free trips for him and his family to go across the country to "watch" potential participants. In reality, his opinion means absolutely squat.

What a waste of money

Reactions: FarWestTexas
It doesn't matter what anyone wants. We are locked in certain positions. Bernie gets paid for free trips for him and his family to go across the country to "watch" potential participants. In reality, his opinion means absolutely squat.

What a waste of money

So we can't have a preference?

As of 11/15- Pittsburgh with running back James Conner (storyline that he overcame a knee injury and Hodgkin lymphoma) vs. Southern California- quarterback Sam Darnold and wide receiver JuJu Smith- Schuster.

So we can't have a preference?

Sure.....

It just baffles me. The Sun Bowl should be about bringing people into El Paso to spend money. We should want outsiders visiting paying the hotel tax, car rental tax, eating in our local restaurants, etc....It shouldn't be about ...hey cool I get to see Penn st in our city..
The city should be outraged with Bernie. Yes, the Sun Bowl draws well, but mainly from El Pasoans. Bernie's job should be to draw as many people from out of town instead of getting corporate sponsors in EP to buy huge amounts of tickets to give to their employees. Get locked into agreements with conferences relatively close to here that can and might travel to El Paso. While the ACC has some shiny teams, do you really think FSU would travel here? Wake? Carolina? Sure, a few hundred, but c'mon man! The Sun Bowl is the reason we raised the taxes for visitors anyway.
Since my opinion doesn't matter anyway....rant over...

I HATE usc so leave them out no matter what....Oregon has the hottest cheerleaders...so yeah... :)

It doesn't matter what anyone wants. We are locked in certain positions.
1bbr8l.jpg

Bernie gets paid for free trips for him and his family to go across the country to "watch" potential participants.

1bbr8l.jpg

In reality, his opinion means absolutely squat.

1bbr8l.jpg

What a waste of money

What a waste of money
Although we have contracts with the PAC12 and ACC, there is still a great deal of flexibility when it comes to which teams we actually get and their ranking in their conference. I think with the ACC it's #3-6.The Sun Bowl wants the most glamourous teams it can get…like USC v Florida State. So do the conferences. Exciting match ups benefit both conferences. Bowls also make trades improve the match-up. CBS also has a lot of influence.

Bernie's job to to sell the SunBowl to the conferences so they send us their best available teams.

Reactions: UTEP05
When does the contract with the ACC end and get with the Big 12?

By the time the bowl contracts come up again, there may not be a Big 12. I guess you didn't check the Big 12 Standings this year, but hypothetical teams that might have been available to the Sun Bowl were 6-6 TCU and 6-6 Baylor who lost their last 6 games.

Compare that to Va Tech, Pittsburgh, North Carolina and Georgia Tech all of whom only had 4 losses. Three of those either finished the season ranked or were ranked at some time during the season.

A contract with the ACC also gives access to Notre Dame. There are 15 possible teams from the ACC and only 10 with the Big 12.

Reactions: UTEP05
By the time the bowl contracts come up again, there may not be a Big 12. I guess you didn't check the Big 12 Standings this year, but hypothetical teams that might have been available to the Sun Bowl were 6-6 TCU and 6-6 Baylor who lost their last 6 games.

Compare that to Va Tech, Pittsburgh, North Carolina and Georgia Tech all of whom only had 4 losses. Three of those either finished the season ranked or were ranked at some time during the season.

A contract with the ACC also gives access to Notre Dame. There are 15 possible teams from the ACC and only 10 with the Big 12.

here's the deal with the Big 12. Having played this BS courting game with several schools, when they do decide to expand, how many schools are going to believe them, much less participate fully in the process? Houston got shafted and if I were the MWC, I'd look to add them sooner than later. Then again, they might want to wait to see how the Cougs do post-Herman.

here's the deal with the Big 12. Having played this BS courting game with several schools, when they do decide to expand, how many schools are going to believe them, much less participate fully in the process? Houston got shafted and if I were the MWC, I'd look to add them sooner than later. Then again, they might want to wait to see how the Cougs do post-Herman.
But why would Houston be interested in joining the MWC? The AAC is a better fit and has a better tv deal and bowls.

But why would Houston be interested in joining the MWC? The AAC is a better fit and has a better tv deal and bowls.

I'm sure the smaller conferences see the writing on the wall. Not only via their own conference, but in TV revenue. As popular as the game is, the networks are going to be hard pressed to try and pass on another round of big conference contract costs to advertisers. ESPN has already hinted at it. Outside of regional broadcasts, each conference is going to need higher profile games to market.

I'd debate if the AAC is a better conference fit than the MWC, but that's a matter of opinion. The MWC needs (or would need) Houston more than vice-versa. Adding Houston allows the MWC to bargain for better bowl tie'ins instead of their current offering (which is where they lose to the AAC). But that would mean the MWC would have to revamp their tv revenue so Boise wasn't getting the lion's share. Lots of parts at play.

if my numbers are even close to accurate, the MWC had $40+ million in revenue last season. I'm not sure where the AAC fell in comparison, but their average payout to their member schools was approximately $24 million spread across 12 programs. I'm guessing and I'd bet a pizza that in the next several years the mid major conferences are going to reset to compete with the P5 conferences in bowls alignments and tv broadcast rights. Frankly, the MWC should be the first to fire the shot with realignment because it's going to be one of these scenarios where you don't want to be the one without a chair when the music stops. By realigning themselves, they could get prime spots that are already attached to a Bowl to market, ie, the Sun Bowl. lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT