ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry makes 1st UTEP offer / Basketball Recruiting

I like this recruit, but I still think we need a Big Man Transfer who can help right away maybe 2. The cupboard is very empty right now.

I like this recruit, but I still think we need a Big Man Transfer who can help right away maybe 2. The cupboard is very empty right now.

No doubt. I agree. I think we for sure need two more. At least one with some college experience under his belt already.

His signing gives us five (5) scholarship players. There's lots of room for more. I am convinced that Terry has more coming and I'm anxious to see who. He certainly knows what he needs, but the question is " what's still out there"?

His signing gives us five (5) scholarship players. There's lots of room for more. I am convinced that Terry has more coming and I'm anxious to see who. He certainly knows what he needs, but the question is " what's still out there"?

There’s lots of players still out there. He can afford to take some risks. I would venture to say that it’s highly unlikely all 9 of these players end up using all their eligibility here. Maybe he only signs 7 or 8 too and saves 1 or 2 for next year.

Have we offered this kid or what. We can't lose a baller from our own back yard, especially with 7-8 scholarships available this late.
We can't lose on a kid from our own backyard? Dude seriously. Just because a kid is good in El Paso doesn't mean anything. We do NOT have to sign anyone from El Paso. Some of these kids WANT to go away from home, regardless of how you feel.
I'm not sold on El Paso hoops kids. It's been forever we had a kid with D1 skill. Our kids don't seem to have the skill set to play D1, probably because of lack of competition.....

We can't lose on a kid from our own backyard? Dude seriously. Just because a kid is good in El Paso doesn't mean anything. We do NOT have to sign anyone from El Paso. Some of these kids WANT to go away from home, regardless of how you feel.
I'm not sold on El Paso hoops kids. It's been forever we had a kid with D1 skill. Our kids don't seem to have the skill set to play D1, probably because of lack of competition.....
Yes dude seriously. If you have researched him and don't think we should offer then that's fine. Let us know why because I'm interested in hearing. I agree that there is a lack of competition here in El Paso (I've even mentioned that in my previous posts), but if he is a baller and gets away because there was no offer, then that is a different story.
Of course he can go wherever he chooses. I never said otherwise. He can't choose UTEP if there is no offer (which I haven't seen).

If you are just calling me out and passing judgement on him at the same time then whatever.

Reactions: Lil_Train
What I am saying is this....it APPEARS that you want UTEP to offer him because he was the best local player and we have extra scholarships to give right now. I don't believe just because you average 30 ppg in El Paso that means you are a D1 player. From what I've seen, this kid only has an offer from Evansville. (I could be wrong cuz I'm too lazy to really look into it) If this is true, why aren't more schools chasing him?
I'm not bashing the kid as I haven't seen him play, but stats do lie (as we have seen from MANY kids that go to UTEP). Hell, I could watch him and think he's the next Jordan. I'm no judge. What I am saying is I HATE hearing people push to have local kids all the time. I am OLD and very rarely in my lifetime have I seen local kids be D1 in any sport. (Please don't read that as never) It's few and far between and we shouldn't take a kid "just because he's the best in El Paso"

And because I know there are much smarter people out there with better memories than me, who was the last local kid that did anything in college basketball? Tucker? He didn't pan out either...

Don't be so thin skinned Ax. I am usually on your side....

Reactions: KaneFan29
It will be interesting to see how the Newton situation plays out. My gut feeling is that Terry does indeed have interest in Newton, but may be holding off on extending the formal offer until he sees what transpires with the other players he is pursuing. I would think Likelele and Alvarez would be the next priority targets. While it is true that El Paso/Las Cruces is far from a hotbed of D1 basketball talent, there are recent examples of guys who are legit D1 guys; examples, Daniel Amigo and McCants (NMSU). Recruiting is definitely not an exact science, but the key is to not miss out on a guy who can contribute regardless of where he is from. In Newton's case, it seems that Terry may not be sure on him. Again, just speculation.

Yes dude seriously. If you have researched him and don't think we should offer then that's fine. Let us know why because I'm interested in hearing. I agree that there is a lack of competition here in El Paso (I've even mentioned that in my previous posts), but if he is a baller and gets away because there was no offer, then that is a different story.
Of course he can go wherever he chooses. I never said otherwise. He can't choose UTEP if there is no offer (which I haven't seen).

If you are just calling me out and passing judgement on him at the same time then whatever.
AX this kid looks really good I agree. However there are literally hundreds and maybe a thousand kids nationwide better. Terry has been doing this awhile I'm sure he knows what he needs and where to look. If a kid from EP is talented enough to merit one of his Scholarships then he'll offer one. If he doesn't think so, then he won't.

Reactions: axingfools1
Have we offered this kid or what. We can't lose a baller from our own back yard, especially with 7-8 scholarships available this late.
We don't have to nab every kid from El Paso who has potential D1 skills. Most kids want to leave home, but not too far.

If CRT pulls this rabbit out of his recruiting hat I will be blown away. But Wichita State really, really wants Alvarez not to mention Purdue, Virginia and Georgia Tech.

If we stole this kid and Likekele I'd be surprised, but very happy. With some quality Big guys the future would look nice with Gilyard and those two. We'd have some very high quality guards.

Exactly. Maybe Newton wants to leave El Paso. Can’t assume that everyone wants to stay home and attend their local college.

What I am saying is this....it APPEARS that you want UTEP to offer him because he was the best local player and we have extra scholarships to give right now. I don't believe just because you average 30 ppg in El Paso that means you are a D1 player. From what I've seen, this kid only has an offer from Evansville. (I could be wrong cuz I'm too lazy to really look into it) If this is true, why aren't more schools chasing him?
I'm not bashing the kid as I haven't seen him play, but stats do lie (as we have seen from MANY kids that go to UTEP). Hell, I could watch him and think he's the next Jordan. I'm no judge. What I am saying is I HATE hearing people push to have local kids all the time. I am OLD and very rarely in my lifetime have I seen local kids be D1 in any sport. (Please don't read that as never) It's few and far between and we shouldn't take a kid "just because he's the best in El Paso"

And because I know there are much smarter people out there with better memories than me, who was the last local kid that did anything in college basketball? Tucker? He didn't pan out either...

Don't be so thin skinned Ax. I am usually on your side....
Ok fair enough. I understand your point of view. Thanks for explaining as well. I am not one of those that pushes for local kids just because. I am a fan a Warren Redix. I do think a lot of UTEP fans are now jaded on local players because of what happened in football with Kugler. If it weren't for the Jones brothers then it would be hard for ANYBODY to think otherwise.

That has never applied to basketball at UTEP and you obviously agree that it would unfair to categorize him because he plays in El Paso.

I want the best we can get. I agree EP is far from a hotbed for D1 recruits and many coaches/recruiters/grading agencies will feel the same way about our local players. We have had a few very good D1 worthy local players (Richardson, McCall, Ezenwa, Thomas, Martinez, Tucker, McCants).

Newton was dropping 30-50+ points deep into the playoffs last year as a junior, and leading his team in rebounds. He is an excellent freethrow shooter as well. He is a SG/SF that is the tallest guy on the team at 6'3". EP usually has no size like some of the better teams around the state. That usually gets them in the end.

I am giving Terry and his process the benefit of the doubt. I think he deserves an offer even if its as a preffered walk-on.

Plus our only video of him is playing with an injury.
Ok fair enough. I understand your point of view. Thanks for explaining as well. I am not one of those that pushes for local kids just because. I am a fan a Warren Redix. I do think a lot of UTEP fans are now jaded on local players because of what happened in football with Kugler. If it weren't for the Jones brothers then it would be hard for ANYBODY to think otherwise.

That has never applied to basketball at UTEP and you obviously agree that it would unfair to categorize him because he plays in El Paso.

I want the best we can get. I agree EP is far from a hotbed for D1 recruits and many coaches/recruiters/grading agencies will feel the same way about our local players. We have had a few very good D1 worthy local players (Richardson, McCall, Ezenwa, Thomas, Martinez, Tucker, McCants).

Newton was dropping 30-50+ points deep into the playoffs last year as a junior, and leading his team in rebounds. He is an excellent freethrow shooter as well. He is a SG/SF that is the tallest guy on the team at 6'3". EP usually has no size like some of the better teams around the state. That usually gets them in the end.

I am giving Terry and his process the benefit of the doubt. I think he deserves an offer even if its as a preffered walk-on.
Local players not to be forgotten....Bobby Joe Hill, Jim Forbes, Ed Lynum, Beto Bautista and I omitted some I'm sure.

Bobby Joe Hill was not from El Paso please brush up on your history!
Excuuuuuuuuuuse me. How could I make such an unforgivable blunder? Hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me. Guess I was remembering all of the conversations we used to have downtown after he was out of school and working and living in EP.

Excuuuuuuuuuuse me. How could I make such an unforgivable blunder? Hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me. Guess I was remembering all of the conversations we used to have downtown after he was out of school and working and living in EP.
Lol he did stay in EP after Utep and thats cool you knew him personally, Very Cool actually. Just pointing out he's not from here and didn't play ball here.

Lol he did stay in EP after Utep and thats cool you knew him personally, Very Cool actually. Just pointing out he's not from here and didn't play ball here.
He went to work at EPNG in their purchasing Dept. We would encounter each other walking the streets downtown and he would update me on new recruits that Haskins was after and/or signing. He was a very unassuming guy and very timid as well.

He went to work at EPNG in their purchasing Dept. We would encounter each other walking the streets downtown and he would update me on new recruits that Haskins was after and/or signing. He was a very unassuming guy and very timid as well.
From what I hear he was very humble. Could have went pro, but had no interest. Respect for yoyr long years as a Miner Fan Sir!

From what I hear he was very humble. Could have went pro, but had no interest. Respect for yoyr long years as a Miner Fan Sir!
Seems like I've worn out the phrase, "wait till next year" and I'm still waiting. Will " that year" ever come again? It used to be easy being a Miner fan during the " glory years". It was win, win, win, win, etc

Sorry, I have white man's disease. What's it say?
Rough translation...

I’ve been hearing your name lately and it makes me happy for your accomplishments, even more coming from boricua. UTEP MBB is a program with much athletic tradition but more importantly education to accomplish your goals. Proud to be a miner for life. It would be an honor if you considered...

Using the pro tip here’s google’s translation.

Lately I've heard your name and that makes me happy for your achievements, even better leaving the borincua patio. @UTEP_MBB program with a lot of sporting tradition but more important educational to achieve your goals, proud to be a MINER⛏4 Life. It would be an honor to consider it ✊

Reactions: utep2step
Pro tip for next time. Open up a 2nd browser tab and type it in yourself to google translate. Not that hard
Expert tip....bite me
I use google translate a lot, but I have found that folks that are fluent in spanish tend to translate if differently than google translate does, therefore it seems to lose something.
but yeah, I was lazy too. :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT