ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry makes 1st UTEP offer / Basketball Recruiting

I looked for film on this guy and came across a beast that was blocking shots and dunking on everybody.....too bad it was a different Efe Odigie. There is some film on this kid. He is big and has some nice post moves, but seems to play below the rim. I think maybe his ankle was bothering him or something.

He looks like maybe he rolled his ankle because you see him hobble early in the video. This kid would be a good pick up for The Miners because he posts up and plays with his back to the basket. He’s doing post moves as opposed to trying to face up and dribble and drive.

He looks like maybe he rolled his ankle because you see him hobble early in the video. This kid would be a good pick up for The Miners because he posts up and plays with his back to the basket. He’s doing post moves as opposed to trying to face up and dribble and drive.

I agree. He’s got a soft touch and uses the glass well to put the ball in the bucket. Also uses his body well, at least at the HS level.

Definitely hurt himself early in the vid.

Seems similar to Royster in terms of athletic ability. Hopefully, Terry has some more seasoned guys on the radar as well. We definitely need tons of help inside. Interested to see if the two young wing players will be visiting soon.

Seems similar to Royster in terms of athletic ability. Hopefully, Terry has some more seasoned guys on the radar as well. We definitely need tons of help inside. Interested to see if the two young wing players will be visiting soon.

Maybe we’ll get lucky and land a guy like Loyola-Chicago’s big, Krutwig. He looks so uncoordinated and out of shape, but proved to be quite a baller, even as a freshman.

Reactions: Lil_Train
i want a player like arnette Moultrie. He had such great talent and just blew it away.. But he was great in college.

Reactions: axingfools1
i want a player like arnette Moultrie. He had such great talent and just blew it away.. But he was great in college.
Agreed. We need to fill scholarships but Coach Terry needs to be as selective as possible for the future. He is in a tough spot. He has got to get a impact players in here.

Just the way barber left Floyd a mess to deal with recruiting wise.... Floyd left terry a mess as well and it's going to be extremely tough for him this late in the game--- his best bet was to secure the players we had but lost two of the better ones (at least he kept gilyard)

Just the way barber left Floyd a mess to deal with recruiting wise.... Floyd left terry a mess as well and it's going to be extremely tough for him this late in the game--- his best bet was to secure the players we had but lost two of the better ones (at least he kept gilyard)
Too bad Floyd didn’t leave Terry an NCAA caliber team the way Barbee did to Floyd.

Barbee left Floyd with an NCAA tourney program not a mess. Floyd inherited a team that came off an NCAA appearance and Floyd had plenty of time(more than a year) to go out and recruit for the seniors he was going to lose. He completely destroyed this program and turned it into a bottom dweller CUSA program.

Terry inherited an absolute mess from Floyd. Its tough trying to sell a bottom dweller CUSA program to recruits vs. a top CUSA program coming off a NCAA Tourney appearance like Floyd had the benefit of having.

And please stop bring up Floyd. We are trying to get rid of that awful stench and move on. Stop trying to make it seem like Floyd and Terry were in similar situations when they first came here because that is not the case.

Last edited:
They are in the same recruiting situation both having to fill an enormous amount of scholarships and that won't be good at all

They are in the same recruiting situation both having to fill an enormous amount of scholarships and that won't be good at all
Tim had a NCAA Tourney stacked roster for the next season when we hired him. Terry doesn't even have enough players to make a starting 5 lineup when he was hired and a program that had to come down to the wire to be the 12th team in the CUSA Tourney, Not even close to the same recruiting situation.

Last edited:
Tim had a NCAA Tourney stacked roster for the next season when we hired him. Terry doesn't even have enough players to make a starting 5 lineup when he was hired and a program that had to come down to the wire to be the 12th team in the CUSA Tourney, Not even close to the same recruiting situation.

You are not listening to me---- I said as far as a large number of scholarships to fill that is it....

You are not listening to me---- I said as far as a large number of scholarships to fill that is it....
Ya I am and thats why I said Tim Floyd had an entire team for the next season after he was hired and had to fill very few scholarships from the time he was hired until the next season. Terry barely has enough players to make a starting lineup for next season when he was hired. Terry has a mess on his hands from day 1 compared to Floyd.

Reactions: develman
I get how you can compare Terry’s situation to Floyd’s, in terms of scholarships. I remember Floyd talked about the need to evenly spread the scholarships over the 4 classes so you are not having to overrecruit. I’m not a coach but I can see why you need to do that. You could argue that the team Floyd inherited with 8 Seniors was set up to win now, and that was without Character and Moultrie. So he did have to overhaul the roster in that 2nd season because the only returning players were McCauley, Bo, Perez and Kevin Perry. Fair enough. But the problem was and always be that Floyd was never able to spread out the scholarships.

Last edited:
And seriously what's with the name calling?? Are we in 1st grade?
That wasn't name calling, simply a question. If you are purposefully not seeing that the situation Floyd inherited is not the same that Terry has? If you're purposefully ignoring facts you're just as bad as certain trolls around here. BTW, Obtuse is not a first-grade level word.

But the problem was and always be with Floyd was that he was never able to spread out the scholarships.
I agree. It was impossible to do that because hardly any of his high school recruits played a full 4 years here. They either never showed up to campus, they left, or Floyd drove them off when he would hit the reset button at the end of the season. But Floyd and his ego would always blame Barbee for the "scholarship" situation that happened 7 recruiting classes ago.

I agree. It was impossible to do that because hardly any of his high school recruits played a full 4 years here. They either never showed up to campus, they left, or Floyd drove them off when he would hit the reset button at the end of the season. But Floyd and his ego would always blame Barbee for the "scholarship" situation that happened 7 recruiting classes ago.

Yup. He never built any continuity within the program. Terry has a ton of scholarships and so little time to round out his roster. I’m sure he knows he needs to fill out the roster with some JUCOs just so he doesn’t screw himself over down the road.

Reactions: develman
Purple sorry you're mistaken. Floyds first year was a loaded team. He walked into an easy situation. The next year he had to rebuild.

If you want to compare the situation Terry is inheriting I think you could say it is more like Billy G’s first year. Except he took the job in March as opposed to August. Both coaches inherited depleted squads but Terry has a little more time to put a class together. By the looks of it he may steal a recruit or two. Let’s see how this plays out.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
Floyd was loaded the 1st year, so he had an entire year to get players for year two. Yes, he needed a lot, but the team was on an upward trend and returning the reigning CUSA player of the year. He should have been able to recruit at a HIGH level and continue the trend.

He knew he had a good team and a whole year so he let his arrogence allow Moultrie escape (who was only a sophmore). IMO that cost him the CUSA title and a second NCAA appearance for UTEP. That was his first huge mistake.

He then went after a non-qualifier in 4-star Harris who never opened a high school book. Floyd told us he would qualify late.
He kept 3-star Bo.
He brought in 4-star Wasburn as a Prop 48.
He recruited Haynes, Lee and Perez with limited time.

So in year 2 he had only Mcculley, Bo, Perez and Washburn because the rest left or never qualified (little did we know this would be an annual endeavor under Floyd). He then had the whole 1st season to recruit and prepare for building a team. He brought in a bunch of role player freshman (with only Lang turning into an impact player) and Streeter.

From there the players turned over and CTF could never once build the team he wanted due to defections, non-arrivals, non-qualifiers, ncaa violations and guys leaving early.

Terry has 4 players left from a near bottom dwelling team. There is no comparison.

Wow! Hopefully Efe is no longer "iffy". With him we can get five players on the floor and he's a bonafide stud.
Great news!
I don't think we have to worry about him being "iffy". He signed with UTEP after just 5 days of him being granted his official release from Fresno...which means Efe and Terry have developed a pretty strong relationship and he wants to play for Terry.

Just watched efe's highlights. Seems to play below the rim. His shot is also a little "clunky". I suppose he's seen as a project with upside, as are many big men...

Thanks and congrats to Efe. Hope he's ready to jump right in. 275 sounds pretty big!

He’d probably be a beast at 250-255. Definitely needs to shed some of the excess.

Reminds me of the way Tofi played. Below the rim, but uses body well to create space. Plays way down low for some easy bunnies. Decent footwork. Almost every shot is off the glass. Terry has wanted him for a while. Must see some good stuff.

Last edited:
I hope he plays a lot better than that highlight film.....

Highlight videos don't mean crap. Remember this guy??? He looked like the next Shaq in the above video, and is now averaging like 2 points game at a junior college in Odessa Texas. He did nothing of that above when he was at UTEP.

Jones did look like a beast in that video. But you have to take it all with a grain of salt. That video had 2 clips of him making big man moves. One he spun in the post and threw it up. The other was a hookshot. The rest was him dunking on a bunch of scrubs from God knows where. Floyd knew he was a project. No way was he going to get uncontested jams left and right in college. But that’s the same thing with Paul Thomas. His highlight showed a big man facing up and dribbling. He comes to UTEP and they ask him to rebound. Obviously the hilight is different from reality.

At least with Odigie’s highlight you see a big man that is posting up, using post moves, finishing with his left and right and rebounding. Those are all big man fundamentals that Jones and Thomas didn’t show in their videos which probably should tell you that they didn’t possess those skills. So that at least let’s you know he has the skill set and they don’t have to change his game and make him into something he isn’t when he gets to college.

Efe reminds me of Lamarcus Aldridge in good ways and bad. He has a soft touch and high bball iq, I wish he was more of a bully down low, and there seemed to be a lack of verticality.

Still I think he's a good signing. In a best case scenario he starts his college career as the back up big and works his way into becoming a starter. However, I think he's gonna have to play major minutes for us this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT