ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry makes 1st UTEP offer / Basketball Recruiting

Villa vibes??? When in the hell this season did villa EVER shoot 6/12 5/8 or 5/7 ????
That’s over 50 percent .... you want villa vibes you should have said 1/10, 0/8, 1/7
Villa shot at 45 percent from the three in conference games at his JUCO school.

Hess is a role player, a 3-pt shooter for now. He's not coming in to start. We still need a lead guard to round out the starting lineup.
I question our starter at the 3 as well. We know what we have in Archie. Kennedy put up similar numbers at Xavier before he left there, so a lot is riding on him becoming a capable scorer when he did not show that previously. With the loss of Stroud, that is one less offensive option, on a team that desperately needs more of them. You can't win playing 3 on 5 on offense. Of course, that also assumes Terry finds a capable point, and Williams coming back.

I question our starter at the 3 as well. We know what we have in Archie. Kennedy put up similar numbers at Xavier before he left there, so a lot is riding on him becoming a capable scorer when he did not show that previously. With the loss of Stroud, that is one less offensive option, on a team that desperately needs more of them. You can't win playing 3 on 5 on offense. Of course, that also assumes Terry finds a capable point, and Williams coming back.
Very true. Kappy suggested in his article about Stroud that one of the factors for leaving may have been Kennedy. I hated losing Stroud, but let's hope this is true.

I can also see Archie at the 3 as well, but he needs to work on his ball handling and finishing. He does play good defense at times.

One could also consider Vila, but.....

Overall, I really can't stand it when guys are hesitant to attack the rim (especially when they have shown they can do it). Archie is one of them. He is big, athletic and hesitant. Want to play in the NBA? Attack the MF rim! Thats what I would be telling these guys. Terry obviously doesn't share those thoughts.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Very true. Kappy suggested in his article about Stroud that one of the factors for leaving may have been Kennedy. I hated losing Stroud, but let's hope this is true.

I can also see Archie at the 3 as well, but he needs to work on his ball handling and finishing. He does play good defense at times.

One could also consider Vila, but.....

Overall, I really can't stand it when guys are hesitant to attack the rim (especially when they have shown they can do it). Archie is one of them. He is big, athletic and hesitant. Want to play in the NBA? Attack the MF rim! Thats what I would be telling these guys. Terry obviously doesn't share those thoughts.
I thought Archie did attempt to attack the rim at times, but he just wasn't very effective. He is a strong kid, but not especially quick. Many times defenders were just waiting on him to drive and take the charge. I also think the refs didn't help with some questionable calls, but it didn't take long for Archie to get the "bull in the china cabinet" reputation; meaning he was out of control. His inability to shoot from the outside, made him even easier to defend. Throw in questionable handles and unforced turnovers, and you have an offensive mess; and one that is easy to game plan for defensively. Again, more an athlete than basketball skills. The lack of offensive skills can be masked in a run and gun pick up game, but that is not the case in a D1 half court offensive game.

Last edited:
I thought Archie did attempt to attack the rim at times, but he just wasn't very effective. He is a strong kid, but not especially quick. Many times defenders were just waiting on him to drive and take the charge. I also think the refs didn't help with some questionable calls, but it didn't take long for Archie to get the "bull in the china cabinet" reputation; meaning he was out of control. His inability to shoot from the outside, made him even easier to defend. Throw in questionable handles and unforced turnovers, and you have an offensive mess; and one that is easy to game plan for defensively. Again, more an athlete than basketball skills. The lack of offensive skills can be masked in a run and gun pick up game, but that is not the case in a D1 half court offensive game.
Man...Lil. You got Archie pegged exactly. Athletic indeed, just like Tarke and Stroud. Dimel could have used all three.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Fresno is better than UTEP? Neftali Alvarez left Fairfield and is now at Mercer. He was a Terry recruit. Jesse Zarzuela is at some nonD1 school in Missouri.
You got me there. Alvarez wasn’t a commit so he doesn’t count. Unofficial count.
Upgrade 2 Lateral 1 Downgrade 1
Not a bad start. We’ll see where Lathon and Hawkins end up. Tarke will probably be a downgrade.

Math was never my favorite, but I'm having some trouble with basic addition and subtraction. Do I have this straight?
13 schollys consists of
Williams
Boum
Efe
Verhoefen
Vila
Kennedy
Hess
Agnew
Archie
Eze
Stroud
McGriff
Tarke
Subtract last five and we have 8 scholarship players. That's one more than we had Terry's first year. Now he can use the same excuse again. Since nothing comes as a surprise anymore, these 8 aren't guaranteed to stay either.

Math was never my favorite, but I'm having some trouble with basic addition and subtraction. Do I have this straight?
13 schollys consists of
Williams
Boum
Efe
Verhoefen
Vila
Kennedy
Hess
Agnew
Archie
Eze
Stroud
McGriff
Tarke
Subtract last five and we have 8 scholarship players. That's one more than we had Terry's first year. Now he can use the same excuse again. Since nothing comes as a surprise anymore, these 8 aren't guaranteed to stay either.
Add Onyema as a freshman. We have 4 open spots right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT