ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry makes 1st UTEP offer / Basketball Recruiting

So I looked into Oregon’s roster a bit. 4 of their top 7 contributors are forwards, 6’7” or taller. Two of those guys will still be there when Bryson Williams is eligible. There are two more young forwards who logged significant minutes but appear to be waiting in the wings for a couple guys to graduate. On top of that, Oregon signed a 5* forward and a 4* forward in its 2018 class.

If BW is confident enough to walk into a situation like that, more power to him. Or he could come to UTEP and play immediately upon meeting his eligibility requirements. I’m having doubts about whether we’re out of the race to get him now.
Yes I mentioned that above but you broke it down a lot better!

To be honest, I’m not sure. However, I have never heard of a player having to sit 2 years except in the circumstance you described...an intraconference transfer.

I can’t imagine Bryson Williams would have even considered UTEP if that was a stipulation. Don’t think he’d have wasted one of his officials. Nor do I think Terry would have wasted one of only 8 officials he could give. Just my rationale for saying “nope”.

Any school outside MWC. Third article down in a Google search.

http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/col...ate/bulldogs-basketball/article208614654.html

Last edited:
He actually avgd. almost 23 ppg last season and is also being recruited by Houston. Just saw last years highlights. Very impressed! Quick Shot, crafty, can create his own shot, nice handles. I'll take him with another Big please.
Very true Natty! I didn't see last year's stats where he took a huge jump in scoring and shooting percentage (along with a huge jump in playing time). Averaged 3 assists/per as well. I guess he is a grad transfer. I was thinking he was a sit out guy for 19-20'.

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Landon-Goesling/Summary/81377

So I looked into Oregon’s roster a bit. 4 of their top 7 contributors are forwards, 6’7” or taller. Two of those guys will still be there when Bryson Williams is eligible. There are two more young forwards who logged significant minutes but appear to be waiting in the wings for a couple guys to graduate. On top of that, Oregon signed a 5* forward and a 4* forward in its 2018 class.

If BW is confident enough to walk into a situation like that, more power to him. Or he could come to UTEP and play immediately upon meeting his eligibility requirements. I’m having doubts about whether we’re out of the race to get him now.

Appreciate the research. Good eye, Fanati.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
There are tons of major D1 talent at the D2 and lower that can easily suit up in major or mid major uni and hit the ground running. They just never got offered, trouble qualifying, lazy HS or AAU coach (or plays politics with the players; this happened to me in high school), family or personal upheaval that got them off or never put on the radar. The american high school basketball world/pipeline has got to be the most motley crew of young american personalities that I would love to do a college dissertation about. Hope and disaster. End of the line or just hitting their apex.

Reactions: HeWore62
Efe Odigie
Miner Digs says 6-9, 275:lbs. Other sites vary from 6-7, 220 lbs or 235 on lbs. We had the same variances on Smith last year. I would guess somewhere in between like 6-8, 240. We know he's big, but how big?
The only video I've seen is the short one where he's gimpy and playing one leg. There must be another same name player with some videos, but don't think it's our Efe. Anybody out there got more poop?

Efe Odigie
Miner Digs says 6-9, 275:lbs. Other sites vary from 6-7, 220 lbs or 235 on lbs. We had the same variances on Smith last year. I would guess somewhere in between like 6-8, 240. We know he's big, but how big?
The only video I've seen is the short one where he's gimpy and playing one leg. There must be another same name player with some videos, but don't think it's our Efe. Anybody out there got more poop?
Maybe Terry will give us accurate heights and weights on the players (unlike Barbee and Floyd). I never understood why coaches/players lie or exaggerate about that stuff.

Maybe Terry will give us accurate heights and weights on the players (unlike Barbee and Floyd). I never understood why coaches/players lie or exaggerate about that stuff.
Goes back decades. Tim Hardaway was 6' 3". Yeah, right. And I wrote the hit "Purple Rain", not Prince.

It’s not just Barbee and Floyd. It’s every HS, college, NBA coach/team everywhere.

It is funny that every school exagerates height/weight. So everyone automatically takes an inch or two off players’ listed heights. So isn’t it a wash?

God, seriously!? It's always been known in recruitment circles that recruits are always exaggerated in height. Its not Tim Floyd's fault this time!

Yup in basketball everyone exaggerates their weight and height. The only 2 players who never made the attempt to pad their height or weight stats were Kevin Durant and Bill Walton because neither wanted the stereotype of being 7 footers and having to play like one.

God, seriously!? It's always been known in recruitment circles that recruits are always exaggerated in height. Its not Tim Floyd's fault this time!
Yes seriously. You can take away the Floyd part if that angered you. I don't see the point of any player or coach exaggerating the height or weight, whether it's "always" been done or not. Makes no sense. Anyway..

Anybody have anymore insight on the recruiting trail?

Why do players and coaches lie about their heights? If two players are exactly the same, but one player is three inches taller, then the taller player gets recruited, drafted, etc.

Why do players and coaches lie about their heights? If two players are exactly the same, but one player is three inches taller, then the taller player gets recruited, drafted, etc.
Stat wars. I'm dead serious. Plain psyops intended to influence your opponent. Started in late 70's, early 80's I believe. You're a 6'2" pg and your opponent is 5'10" on video but 6'3" on paper. Think about it. Kind of makes you think twice doesn't it as far as your approach going into the game? Mission accomplished.

It's no different than some programs having the visiting team locker room painted pink.

Yup in basketball everyone exaggerates their weight and height. The only 2 players who never made the attempt to pad their height or weight stats were Kevin Durant and Bill Walton because neither wanted the stereotype of being 7 footers and having to play like one.

I've heard the same said about Kevin Garnett.

Reactions: minermx07
Always listed at 6'10", Moses Malone was one of the greatest players I ever saw. After years of carrying Houston on his back, he came to Philly and won them a championship along side one Dr. J. If we buy into the "height liars" philosophy, Moses must have been aroun 6'8" in reality. Wes Unseld was always listed at 6'7" and beat up centers like Walton, Jabbar, Gilmore etc.

This Post has went so far off course! Guess that's what happens when we don't get new Recruiting info. Hopefully hear something soon on transfers since the date to withdraw name from NBA has came and went. Also still hoping we get Williams for 2019 somehow, but not confident.

I can share one point with you. I questioned why the women's signees are announced regularly on the website while none of the men's signees have been announced. It was explained to me that Terry prefers to wait and have all signees announced simultaneously rather than one at a time. He obviously has his own style on how to handle the process.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
This Post has went so far off course! Guess that's what happens when we don't get new Recruiting info. Hopefully hear something soon on transfers since the date to withdraw name from NBA has came and went. Also still hoping we get Williams for 2019 somehow, but not confident.
Do you or anyone else on here know until what date he has to announce his decision?

Not quite. A player has until final student roster is announced at the end of enrollment sometime in early to mid september to be included on the team.
I think your correct. Didn't that happen to one of Floyd's recruits in recent memory not long ago?

Reactions: jdubb66
I honestly think we are going to end up with a guy who is just going to
fill in the spot. I really don't mind if it's a graduate transfer for a year.
Coach Terry can save the scholarships for next year.
Currently we have a good core of players for the near future.
Coach Terry and his staff will have enough time to recruit players
we need to run C-USA.

GO Miners...

Reactions: minerfan_14
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT