ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

A football camp for high school prospects was hosted yesterday by Abilene Christian Univ. A number of D-1 schools were there -- SMU, Okie State among others.

Heard from one of the camp attendee's parents that UTEP had a coach or two on site.

Any word on how it went? Did we have any spies in Abilene yesterday?

New info: Strike SMU from the mix. Add New Mexico, Angelo State and such.

This camp was open to junior high kids, at $50 a head. So draw your own conclusions. {Insert your cynicism here} Promising sophomore and juniors were roundly ignored, paying customers tell me.

NCAA does not allow schools to make money on these camps. So, we can presume that any overage of production costs go to Kansas City?

If I were the coach (or parent) of a high school prospect, it might be wise to look in askance at these one-day events open to junior high kids. Really? Wake me up when the kids who have started shaving show up.

Last edited:
A football camp for high school prospects was hosted yesterday by Abilene Christian Univ. A number of D-1 schools were there -- SMU, Okie State among others.

Heard from one of the camp attendee's parents that UTEP had a coach or two on site.

Any word on how it went? Did we have any spies in Abilene yesterday?

Would be nice to know as well. UTEP has one this weekend and there’s one at Belton (see tweet)

Anybody live up in Chicago for that camp at Northwestern?

Would be nice to know as well. UTEP has one this weekend and there’s one at Belton (see tweet)

Anybody live up in Chicago for that camp at Northwestern?

They need to hit the small towns in the panhandle of Nebraska. Region is very rural. So rural that is where cable TV was born (Cheyenne County, NE) out of necessity. Small high schools, big boys.

They need to hit the small towns in the panhandle of Nebraska. Region is very rural. So rural that is where cable TV was born (Cheyenne County, NE) out of necessity. Small high schools, big boys.

I thought it was a legal requirement you had to play for Nebraska lol

Anyway, I have a hunch that Coach Waters will be in that region...was at Iowa Western in April and I read somewhere (can't find it now) that Matt Rahl the recruiting director has some connections in that area/southern IL , where there are some big boys too.

Reactions: HeWore62
Digging the obvious excitement UTEP assistants are bringing to social media. A sharp departure from techniques used by the previous staff.

Dimel could be our next draft pick if he chooses UTEP (aside from one of our DBs).

UTEP current staff has done the most impressive job of trying to recruit and getting out in front of the kids as I have seen from this school. They are hitting the camps hard and trying to draw kids and interest to UTEP. I have a QB from Mesquite Jermaine Givens who took a trip to UTEP and month or so ago. They loved the campus and the school. Go watch his film the kid is a baller. But my point is in the past UTEP wouldn't have come here under the last staff, and they sure wouldn't have been able to get a kid to spend his own money to come to El Paso. They are doing a great Job.

UTEP current staff has done the most impressive job of trying to recruit and getting out in front of the kids as I have seen from this school. They are hitting the camps hard and trying to draw kids and interest to UTEP. I have a QB from Mesquite Jermaine Givens who took a trip to UTEP and month or so ago. They loved the campus and the school. Go watch his film the kid is a baller. But my point is in the past UTEP wouldn't have come here under the last staff, and they sure wouldn't have been able to get a kid to spend his own money to come to El Paso. They are doing a great Job.
"I have a QB from Mesquite Jermaine Givens" ... help us here, DayDev. Translate "I have," please. The prospect is your son? Advise.

For those of you who keep records and are also good in math; how many QB's does this add up to?

"I have a QB from Mesquite Jermaine Givens" ... help us here, DayDev. Translate "I have," please. The prospect is your son? Advise.
Lol no my son played and graduated from UTEP in 2014. I train most the top players in NT and he's one of the kids we deal with. Lol I don't peddle kids I was making a point to how UTEP has grown with this new staff. Marcus Bagley was one of mine, Walter Dawns and a few more UTEP players. Ex UTEP player Quentin Demps has trained with us the past 5 years. I am trying to get more players excited about UTEP and what it has to offer. My son loved his time there.

This Winston Dimel confirmation also goes as another correct call for Bigwood. He called this a few months back and was one of the first to confirm.

It wasn't really a big secret that Winston was going to sign with UTEP. I'm just surprised it took him this long to announce it.

We beat out two SEC bowl teams for Winston. It must have been a very difficult decision to make. He took a long time to think it out throughly.

On the one hand he wants to help his dad get this program on its feet. He knows the situation he’s walking into. A losing season is all but guaranteed and he will get very little publicity from the major tv networks.

On the other hand is the chance to step out of his fathers shadow and go make a name for himself. Join a football powerhouse in the best conference in the nation. Have the opportunity to play in a team that can compete for an access bowl or even sneak into the playoffs. Have all his games televised on ESPN and the networks constantly talking about his league.

In the end family comes first. He’s going to be a big part of the offense here and should put up nice stats. Hopefully this leads to a solid foundation being set by CDD in his first year.

Very nice early Father’s Day for Dana from his son.

I think Dimmel is going to make a huge difference for this team, mostly by keeping our QB's from getting killed. But without Dimmel, I was thinking a 1 win season, now I'm thinking 4 wins. I know that sounds sarcastic, but progress is progress.

I really respect Winston Dimmel for coming to UTEP. I don’t think anyone would fault him if he did not come to UTEP, especially his father. We need all the help we can get in terms of talent, and as much as he may bring to the table on offense I think it’s a great pickup because of what he brings off the field.

CJ Reese, Dimmel and Locksley all came from big programs and you know they have a firm grasp of how to prepare and what’s expected of them, especially the last two since they are the sons of coaches. I think that experience/leadership may trump what they bring on the field. The big boy mentality is something that UTEP desperately needs and I’m sure those three will be leaned on to provide off the field leadership heading into the season, regardless of how much playing time they get.

Can't wait to see a full house backfield with dimmel, mc kee and Hughes punching it in for a TD.
If we have some movement on the O-line, our backfield is gonna do some work. A lot of options back there and the defensives will not be able to key on 1 player. I think Hughes and/or Wadley will have 1000 yards this season.

Reactions: minermx07
I thought it was a legal requirement you had to play for Nebraska lol

Anyway, I have a hunch that Coach Waters will be in that region...was at Iowa Western in April and I read somewhere (can't find it now) that Matt Rahl the recruiting director has some connections in that area/southern IL , where there are some big boys too.
These are really small towns. Nebraska is is of two halves. One half doesn't know where the other exist. I'm dead serious. Western Nebraskan's know every gawd damned minutia of Nebraskan history and such and they love to talk about it but you'd think you were watching erosion. Eastern Nebraskan's are "huh....where?!", "What's a unicameral government?!".

What’s y’alls over/under that we snag this guy?
I know UTEP is no position to turn down any type of talent, particularly at WR, but this kid flipped flopped so much during his recruitment, then transfers out after his first year playing just special teams. I don't know the kid personally, but he screams DIVA with no production, best to stay away from him in my opinion.

I know UTEP is no position to turn down any type of talent, particularly at WR, but this kid flipped flopped so much during his recruitment, then transfers out after his first year playing just special teams. I don't know the kid personally, but he screams DIVA with no production, best to stay away from him in my opinion.

What you crazy. If he wants to come Utep should let him.

What you crazy. If he wants to come Utep should let him.
I agree. A 17-18 year old EP kid that was being recruited by various teams from the Big 12, SEC, PAC 12, AAC, MW, CUSA, and Sun Belt is going to have a hard time making up his mind. He probably had 100 different people telling him where to go. All those schools saw the talent and potential he has. If our group of coaches can work with him and bring it out he can turn into the deep threat we are sorely lacking.

Reactions: minermx07
I agree. A 17-18 year old EP kid that was being recruited by various teams from the Big 12, SEC, PAC 12, AAC, MW, CUSA, and Sun Belt is going to have a hard time making up his mind. He probably had 100 different people telling him where to go. All those schools saw the talent and potential he has. If our group of coaches can work with him and bring it out he can turn into the deep threat we are sorely lacking.

Good points. However, IF (big IF) Bigwood’s hunch is correct (he hasn’t been wrong much) and he is a “diva” then is that good for the team? Will the coaches put up with him? Is it worth all that trouble for 1 player?

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
I thought he signed with Wash St. out of high school. I guess he did flip. The two kids from Parkland should be our EP targets for right now.

Hampton committed to SMU, then 4 months later he decommitted and reopened his recruitment. Then he committed to Washington State and 4 months after that, he again decommitted and reopened his recruitment. He then committed and signed with Utah. He went to Utah for one year and is now transferring. The next college that he commits to will be his 4th commitment in roughly 2 years. I think we all would love to have him come home for the next 3 years, but I see no problem with acknowledging the obvious concern.

BTW, he also played for two different El Paso high schools as well(Chapin and El Dorado), so maybe he has become comfortable around movement.

All that being said, Dana Dimel did mention after being hired that some El Paso kids had already reached out to him through the proper channels and had expressed an interest in returning home to play. It seemed like Rashad Still was the most likely candidate, but maybe Hampton could have also been one of those people who reached out to Dimel?

Last edited:
Hampton committed to SMU, then 4 months later he decommitted and reopened his commitment. Then he committed to Washington State and 4 months after that, he again decommitted and reopened his recruitment. He then committed and signed with Utah. He went to Utah for one year and is now transferring. The next college that he commits to will be his 4th commitment in roughly 2 years. I think we all would love to have him come home for the next 3 years, but I see no problem with acknowledging the obvious concern.

BTW, he also played for two different El Paso high schools as well(Chapin and El Dorado), so maybe he has become comfortable around movement.

All that being said, Dana Dimel did mention after being hired that some El Paso kids had already reached out to him through the proper channels and had expressed an interest in returning home to play. It seemed like Rashad Still was the most likely candidate, but maybe Hampton could have also been one of those people who reached out to Dimel?
Dang thats right! I would love to have Still. I think the change in coaching staff at Minnesota may have hurt his playing time...I don't know, but a big receiver like that could always help. Hampton sounds like the Brodricks Jones of football.

Hampton committed to SMU, then 4 months later he decommitted and reopened his commitment. Then he committed to Washington State and 4 months after that, he again decommitted and reopened his recruitment. He then committed and signed with Utah. He went to Utah for one year and is now transferring. The next college that he commits to will be his 4th commitment in roughly 2 years. I think we all would love to have him come home for the next 3 years, but I see no problem with acknowledging the obvious concern.

Basically my point, kid is not stable for whatever reason...

If he signed originally with UTEP I would have been called a hater because I would point out most of his yards in HS came from bubble screens and 9 routes over 5'6 DB's in El Paso's 1-6A, not a polished WR that can immediately help us in my opinion....Rashad Still would provide a bigger impact than Hampton in my opinion.

Kids are getting more sophistitcated about their recruitment especially those who are transferring. Guys are taking their time and seeing where their best options are and hopefully not just taking the offer that looks great on paper. Schools like UTEP have a lot to offer especially to local recruits. Coach Dimel strikes me as sort of a new school guy willing to let recruits grow into their positions. We'll see.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT