ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

I found the list of restricted schools/conferences on Hampton's Utah transfer letter to be a bit odd; just a random observation. In any event, with the number of scholarships available to football, I can see why Dimel would want to bring the guy on board, especially in a known area of need like WR.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
I found the list of restricted schools/conferences on Hampton's Utah transfer letter to be a bit odd; just a random observation.

I thought the same thing at first, but I just figured that the odd schools must be the team's on their future schedule. So I just looked and sure enough, Northern Illinois, BYU, Wyoming are all future opponents for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil_Train
Welp, against my wishes LMAO!!! I'm hearing from an interesting source that Hampton will be a Miner at some point this summer.....
Wood, it's official. You are way, way too much. {chuckling here in office}

Like you, I question the commitment level of kids who transfer, then leave town, then transfer, then quit again and transfer once more. How often can you fold the tent?

This is America. Free country, sometimes. But all this movement makes me wonder.

So I admittedly haven't kept up with this lengthy thread, so maybe someone can catch me up...

1. How many recruits have we landed so far for this season?
2. Who, if any, would be considered high level recruits?
3. I've seen that we've made a lot of offers, but when do you typically see verbals during the recruiting season?

Thanks!

Love the updates but it seems there are 1/2 kids that have received offers from UTEP every couple of days. How many of those have given a verbal commitment? How many kids say they have received an offer? It seems like the staff has extended offers to way more players than we would/could sign.

Love the updates but it seems there are 1/2 kids that have received offers from UTEP every couple of days. How many of those have given a verbal commitment? How many kids say they have received an offer? It seems like the staff has extended offers to way more players than we would/could sign.

I don’t see the problem with offers over what we may be able to sign. Not all of them will commit (and the fact that we’re runninng with the big boys is a positive step) and I’m sure there might be transfers. I would rather have a little over than under.

As far as to verbal commitments, anyone have any reliable subscription (rivals, etc) insight? Maybe we’re in a NCAA Football verbal “dead period”? Anyone know

I don't think we have any commits, but the first football signing date is still 6 months away and any players that we will sign at that time still have their entire Senior high school football season yet to take place. Personally, I am not sure that I would get very excited about any commitment at this point. There is just way too much time for things to change before that commitment would become binding. I doubt that potential December signees have even been able to take official visits yet either.

I don't think we have any commits, but the first football signing date is still 6 months away and any players that we will sign at that time still have their entire Senior high school football season yet to take place. Personally, I am not sure that I would get very excited about any commitment at this point. There is just way too much time for things to change before that commitment would become binding. I doubt that potential December signees have even been able to take official visits yet either.
Very true. I will give Bob Stull credit when he used to be on Kap's show on a more frequent basis some years ago and state exactly what Defense pointed out. I will go so far as to say that expect bigger programs to poach some Dimel "hard commit" recruits as signing day draws close because they too lose their #1 recruit to whomever and need to go to plan B; which is follow a coach like Dimel at UTEP and steal their top recruit.

I can see why we are giving so many offers. The staff is offering players they feel can help UTEP win and if we just hit on 15-20% we are in a win situation with recruiting. The past staff didn't offer early so our name was never out there. This staff has made it known that UTEP is a player in the recruiting world now. No one can say UTEP isn't trying to win some recruiting wars instead of just sitting back and taking the scraps.

Everybody can expect that from UTEP based on last season.
I seriously doubt we will be dead last. I see us winning 4 games.
We got some key players that had been missing in the last 6
years. Number one is the QB which was upgraded.

Go Miners...

Totally new to the game. He is a track stud. His HS Hudl clip was kind of well....he needs some polishing, but he's recruited by UTEP as a db obviously, which is a different animal from rb and UTEP is stocked at rb for the next two years.

Now as far as his O line, they need recruited. Did you see the holes they opened up? Shovel shit could run through that easily.

A little ot but it does mention recruiting. What do you all think of this article?

A little ot but it does mention recruiting. What do you all think of this article?

Some good points and some points that can cause a lot of disagreement with some. I'm not one that sees the Dimal hire as a "bad" one. He'll always be remembered for HOU, but one has to remember you can't build a team from a losing record to a winning one in two years (which is what he had). I think he's very experienced, but the overlooked aspect is the staff he's hired.

I see us winning 2-3 games. Worse case, 1 win is statistically 100% better than last year.

The article is just some Joe Schmoe’s opinion. As bad as we were last year, we were one average FG kicker away from winning 1 game. Dimel and Canales are both offensive minded coaches , we have much better odds of putting points on the board than we did with Kugler and company...3rd and 10 but we run out route for 5 yards.

Yes Dimel did awful at Houston. But people fail to mention that he never had a losing season in his 3 years at Wyoming before the Houston job. So he has had success as a head coach as well. Plus the Houston disaster was like 16 years ago, not last season. He has like 16 years to think about what he did wrong and 8 of those years was working under Bill Snyder and a program that does more with less.

We got a mobile QB who can extend plays, we upgraded the WR position a bit with some JUCO’s, and with have an offensive minded OC and HC, and we play in CUSA...we aren’t going to win anywhere near 6 games, but we will win at least one. Plus Northern Arizona and NMSU are very winnable games at home.

This is very alarming: In Dimel’s short time in El Paso, he has brought in a recruiting class that is ranked 129th out of 130 teams. The guys UTEP are getting are ranked dead last in C-USA, so the product on the field isn’t going to get much better.

Reactions: ShovelMan66
This is very alarming: In Dimel’s short time in El Paso, he has brought in a recruiting class that is ranked 129th out of 130 teams. The guys UTEP are getting are ranked dead last in C-USA, so the product on the field isn’t going to get much better.

You are just looking at the paper. Don't go by what somebody else
is stating. We are going to play with a different playbook. The only
reason we didn't win a game last season cause we didn't mix it up
and we were predictable.
I think that a lot of us will be surprised.
I do believe we will win 3 games.

GO Miners...

I am just excited UTEP has Senter and new coaches aiming high. With that inoculation, hard work, good morals, good attitude and have some fun, the wins will come.

As far as recruiting the last class, that ALL falls on Kuglar. When the new staff got here the old staff hadn't even started a true recruiting season. Kuglar was like a self inflicted death sentence.

You are just looking at the paper. Don't go by what somebody else
is stating. We are going to play with a different playbook. The only
reason we didn't win a game last season cause we didn't mix it up
and we were predictable.
I think that a lot of us will be surprised.
I do believe we will win 3 games.

GO Miners...

I hope you're right. I wouldn't be surprised if we win 0 games, but I also wouldn't be surprised if we win 3 games. This season is a big mystery.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT