ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

IMO I liked the ones with the giant pickaxe better.
59511_highlight.jpg

They’re doing the pick axe stickers on the helmet for any good play, etc. about time! I know there were a few on here who wanted to see that in the past

--tweet is back up

About time they did the mini pick axe stickers on the helmets. We had suggested that since the 2000 season when i was in the equipment room there.

Yes they did, lots of chatter and I remember them talking about this change 4 years ago while ordering shirts for student orgs. Oh, it's officially "UTEP Orange" (page 21) :p

https://www.utep.edu/university-communications/_Files/docs/UTEP-GRAPHIC-IDENTITY-GUIDE.pdf
UTEP changes the shade every few years. They did twice in 80s if I remember right. Changed shade of blue in 90's. Changed shade of orange in very late 90's/2000's (Nord years I think) and that endured the longest I can remember to what they have today. I never even noticed until a buddy pointed it out during a late season game because he noticed the internet fed basketball games had a brighter UTEP orange display during timeouts. "Did UTEP change their colors or have we've been swigging to many beers?".

Aha. The "new" orange ... at least new for UTEP.

Melikey. With the right mix of light and dark colors for contrast, this could look sharp.

On the same topic, I hope Chris Park, the new associate A.D. for football, and Coach Dimel will tweak the color wheel to make the jersey numbers more legible.

In the stadium last year, the numbers were difficult to read. On TV, you could forget about it, especially when the Miners wore their home orange.

UTEP changes the shade every few years. They did twice in 80s if I remember right. Changed shade of blue in 90's. Changed shade of orange in very late 90's/2000's (Nord years I think) and that endured the longest I can remember to what they have today. I never even noticed until a buddy pointed it out during a late season game because he noticed the internet fed basketball games had a brighter UTEP orange display during timeouts. "Did UTEP change their colors or have we've been swigging to many beers?".

You’re right. I was never a fan of that light blue. I shocked some new freshman when I was doing new student orientation that it was burnt orange, white, and a black trim in the TWC days

Reactions: HeWore62
Big kid from a good program. State HS champs and few of his teammates getting D1 offers or committed to FCS and FBS programs. Two of his teammates are going to UNLV and SDSU respectively from his class. That is impressive even for Texas HS standards. Had offers from Sac State, Portland State, Idaho and UTEP.
It says he's 6'1 265, not very tall. Im wondering if they will have him more as a DE like Trace. They have similar height and weight

It says he's 6'1 265, not very tall. Im wondering if they will have him more as a DE like Trace. They have similar height and weight

Good comparison, at least for height/weight. Trace Moscoro impressed UTEP coaches right away. How?

Coming out of a good 2A program in Refugio, Moscoro was already D-1 strong. He can pick up the back end of a Jeep and walk off with it. Better yet, coaches really liked his long, long arms. When I get to Camp Ruidoso, I will try to get his sleeve length. This we know for sure:

Kid is an octopus, using his long arms and strong hands to play with uncommon leverage for a guy just now about to start his second year. Eventually, I'd like to see UTEP recruit a more dynamic (read: faster) athlete at DE, but Trace Moscoro is going to play a lot of football for the Miners and we should be glad he's in our stable.

Apologies if this has been posted before but on the current (3rd) season of Last Chance U., Kai Locksley's Iowa Western team rolls 70 on the protagonist team in the first episode. Locksley owned the second half of that game running for at least 2 touchdowns and passing for another.

Question: Do the additions of NJCAA POY and AJ Hotchkins immediately make our team better than last year? I say yes just based on the season Kai had.

Apologies if this has been posted before but on the current (3rd) season of Last Chance U., Kai Locksley's Iowa Western team rolls 70

Question: Do the additions of NJCAA POY and AJ Hotchkins immediately make our team better than last year? I say yes just based on the season Kai had.

That ICC team in Last Chance U could beat anybody and they could lose to anybody. After their first game, every game was close regardless of how good or bad the opponent was. Every now and then you see teams that perform this way; they have all of the talent in the world, yet they only play up/down to their level of competition each week. When I see a team performing this same way in the future, it will make me wonder if that team is being run and organized in the same chaotic way as we saw this coach in Last Chance U run his team?

As for the UTEP transfers, we should have 4 P5 level transfers: Locksley(UT), Hotchkins(Oregon), and Reese & Dimel(K State). But in addition to these guys, we will also be adding 4 of our best players who essentially did not play last year: Greg Long(Redshirted last year after getting hurt in the 2nd game), Jayson Van Hook(Red Shirted last year after getting hurt in the 2nd game), Qaurdraiz Wadley(only played in 3 1/2 games last year), and we also add Alan Busey who I am really high on and he also redshirted last year after getting hurt in the first game.

This hopefully will give us a total of 8 quality additions over last year's team.

That ICC team in Last Chance U could beat anybody and they could lose to anybody. After their first game, every game was close regardless of how good or bad the opponent was. Every now and then you see teams that perform this way; they have all of the talent in the world, yet they only play up/down to their level of competition each week. When I see a team performing this same way in the future, it will make me wonder if that team is being run and organized in the same chaotic way as we saw this coach in Last Chance U run his team?

As for the UTEP transfers, we should have 4 P5 level transfers: Locksley(UT), Hotchkins(Oregon), and Reese & Dimel(K State). But in addition to these guys, we will also be adding 4 of our best players who essentially did not play last year: Greg Long(Redshirted last year after getting hurt in the 2nd game), Jayson Van Hook(Red Shirted last year after getting hurt in the 2nd game), Qaurdraiz Wadley(only played in 3 1/2 games last year), and we also add Alan Busey who I am really high on and he also redshirted last year after getting hurt in the first game.

This hopefully will give us a total of 8 quality additions over last year's team.
And dont forget Chris Richardson. He was set to start at NT last year.

Aside from losing Hernandez, UTEP probably added more than they lost.

Reactions: miner1liner
For all the praise Terry has received about his recruiting it has been Dimel who plugged up key holes with P5 graduate transfers.

For all the praise Terry has received about his recruiting it has been Dimel who plugged up key holes with P5 graduate transfers.

Interesting observation, JCorona. Some of those P5 transfers may show out for UTEP, pronto.

I expect good things from Van Hook. His injury hurt UTEP D last year. UTEP has 7 qb's going into camp with Jones from the juco ranks. Wow! Now that's depth x2. Sounds to me like Dimel is saying "you want that position (or in the rotation)? Earn it! (Even if I did recruit you personally). But let's be real, 7 is too many. Something or someone has to give.

I expect good things from Van Hook. His injury hurt UTEP D last year. UTEP has 7 qb's going into camp with Jones from the juco ranks. Wow! Now that's depth x2. Sounds to me like Dimel is saying "you want that position (or in the rotation)? Earn it! (Even if I did recruit you personally). But let's be real, 7 is too many. Something or someone has to give.

Definitely, utep2step. The quarterback "room," as Tom Herman calls it at Texas, is overcrowded.

There's an NCAA ruling in play here, and it's new: Kids are now allowed to play in four games while still retaining a redshirt. Good timing for the new UTEP staff. The godfathers of college football granted UTEP coaches a free look-see on a couple QBs.

Even at that, you have to figure, by Christmas, at least two of those QBs will be gone. Maybe as many as four.

Definitely, utep2step. The quarterback "room," as Tom Herman calls it at Texas, is overcrowded.

There's an NCAA ruling in play here, and it's new: Kids are now allowed to play in four games while still retaining a redshirt. Good timing for the new UTEP staff. The godfathers of college football granted UTEP coaches a free look-see on a couple QBs.

Even at that, you have to figure, by Christmas, at least two of those QBs will be gone. Maybe as many as four.
How likely is it that of the seven candidates, two or three can contribute at other positions? Three QB's on the roster should be more than adequate; shouldn't it?

How likely is it that of the seven candidates, two or three can contribute at other positions? Three QB's on the roster should be more than adequate; shouldn't it?

Carrying 7 quarterbacks is not that unusual. UTEP had 7 on the roster in 2008, and 2009 and 6 in 2010. There seemed to be a lot of turnover outside of the top 3. I don’t know if QB is a position you want to go light on, just because of the fact that it is the single most important position on the team and if we are going to emphasize running at the QB spot there is a possibility an injury can occur.

That's two commitments before the season even starts. When was the last time that happened?

That's two commitments before the season even starts. When was the last time that happened?

He is listed as a 2018 graduate, so he is possibly a walk-on.

BTW, the EPTimes says that Jayson Van Hook will not play this year due to academics, which is not good news.

Still went NAIA, check back messages on this thread. I think Hampton committed to UTAH.

Still went NAIA, check back messages on this thread. I think Hampton committed to UTAH.
Yes I do remember that now regarding Still. Hampton transfered out of UTAH and there were some rumers he was hanging around?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT