ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

Taped highlights are just that -- a small sample showing only the moments of success. But this Williams kid has size, range and when he hits somebody, they stay hit. This shows proper leverage and, most important of all, want-to.

Instead of writing that he is committing, he instead writes that he has decided to "verbally continue" followed by the very next sentence which states: "My recruitment is still open to anyone and everyone!!" in all caps.

This is about as non-committal of a commitment as I have ever seen. Why even post a commitment like this?

Instead of writing that he is committing, he instead writes that he has decided to "verbally continue" followed by the very next sentence which states: "My recruitment is still open to anyone and everyone!!" in all caps.

This is about as non-committal of a commitment as I have ever seen. Why even post a commitment like this?

I thought the same thing.

"I'll commit until something better comes along". Wow, what an exciting announcement.

At least the kid is honest. Most verbal commits are like this(not all),"I'll go there(Insert any small school) but if Oklahoma or Texas calls goodbye". It is unorthodox that he comes right out and declares it though.

Reactions: minerfan_14
Cut the cord. Let him go. Withdraw the offer. It’s a new era and a precedent needs to be set. To openly go along with his “plan” reeks of desperation.

Get on board with the new vision that Dimel has laid out, or see ya later. Just my worthless two cents on the matter.

During Price’s tenure weren’t bigger schools just following The staff and stealing them by offering at the last minute? Maybe this kid feels that an offer or commitment from Dimel and his staff could lead to bigger offers. Still not a good look for him but maybe he’s banking on bigger offers down the road.

It's a slight oopsie twitter comment. Kind of like saying "Yeah. Bobby and I are tight (but you just like him because his sister is hot)". UTEP is Bobby.

During Price’s tenure weren’t bigger schools just following The staff and stealing them by offering at the last minute? Maybe this kid feels that an offer or commitment from Dimel and his staff could lead to bigger offers. Still not a good look for him but maybe he’s banking on bigger offers down the road.
Yes, Price and staff got poached.

I think the kid meant well, but it came out wrong.

Yes, Price and staff got poached.

I think the kid meant well, but it came out wrong.

You may be absolutely right. It would be an amazing blunder to @ the coaches and post UTEP photos and then say “I’m gonna go to UTEP, BUT IM NOT GOING TO GO TO UTEP.”

He plays alongside Lavea and Williams at Chapin. Both have offers from P5 schools among other G5’s. Plenty of scouts have gone out to his school and seen him play. Apparently they don’t think he’s worthy of an offer. Kid should be grateful UTEP is his first and only offer. It’s ok if he wants to wait for a better offer but then don’t commit. He could easily post a tweet he has been offered by UTEP and leave it at that.

Cut the cord. Let him go. Withdraw the offer. It’s a new era and a precedent needs to be set. To openly go along with his “plan” reeks of desperation.

Get on board with the new vision that Dimel has laid out, or see ya later. Just my worthless two cents on the matter.

Give the kid a break. He's a teenager just learning the ropes. Who among us would not like to take back some dumb*** remark?

However .... No room for half-stepping here. UTEP's rebuilding process will not be an ice cream social. There will be discomfort, even pain.

This period will place less of a premium on talent than character, commitment and give-a-shed attitude. Think back, amigos. In your own experience -- business, sports, chiquitas -- you always placed high value on the classmate, colleague, woman, partner, teammate who cared about the right stuff. Right?

FanatiCoog, you and I are thinking alike. You should find that worrisome.

Last edited:
Give the kid a break. He's a teenager just learning the ropes. Who among us would not like to take back some dumb*** remark?

However .... No room for half-stepping here. UTEP's rebuilding process will not be an ice cream social. There will be discomfort, even pain.

This period will place less of a premium on talent than character, commitment and give-a-shed attitude. Think back, amigos. In your own experience -- business, sports, chiquitas -- you always placed high value on the classmate, colleague, woman, partner, teammate who cared about the right stuff. Right?

Bon voyage amigo. Hope you have happy sightings in the cool pines. Wish we could share a few at Casablanca.

Wholeheartedly agree that most everybody would like to take something back that we have uttered. There are certainly things I have said that I wouldn’t want to be judged by either, as whatever I said wasn’t representative of my whole attitude.

This one is hard to chalk up to as just putting foot in mouth, though. It’s not so much what words he said as it is the mentality the kid has to be coming from. Hard to misconstrue this one. Like jcorona said, if you want to leave your options open, that is all well and good, just don’t verbally “commit” and state that your recruitment is still open. That simple. Perhaps the kid should be provided an opportunity to clarify his intentions, as I’m sure the coaching staff has already done. At least I’d hope.

As far as us thinking alike, as they say, “great minds...”. Although, I must admit, “great mind” is a far stretch in my case. Lol.

Looking forward to your on-site reporting from Camp Ruidoso. Keep it flowing.

Last edited:
Reactions: axingfools1
How do you think he meant for it to come out?
"Blessed! [prayer emoji hands] for the UTEP offer". "I'll keep grinding for a strong future", or something like that.

I think he meant to say "Thank you" to UTEP and had hopes for a strong senior year to lead to bigger offers. He just should have left it at "Thank you" and/or "Blessed"

We should play the twitter "keep grinding" game for college recruits. For every recruit who twitters that, you take a shot. Wait, we'll pass out in twenty minutes.

Wholeheartedly agree that most everybody would like to take something back that we have uttered. There are certainly things I have said that I wouldn’t want to be judged by either, as whatever I said wasn’t representative of my whole attitude.

This one is hard to chalk up to as just putting foot in mouth, though. It’s not so much what words he said as it is the mentality the kid has to be coming from. Hard to misconstrue this one. Like jcorona said, if you want to leave your options open, that is all well and good, just don’t verbally “commit” and state that your recruitment is still open. That simple. Perhaps the kid should be provided an opportunity to clarify his intentions, as I’m sure the coaching staff has already done. At least I’d hope.

As far as us thinking alike, as they say, “great minds...”. Although, I must admit, “great mind” is a far stretch in my case. Lol.
He is provided the opportunity to clarify his intentions in the same fashion that he made them in the first place.... "Twitter ". We'll see how genuine he is.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Why would they even take his commit
Maybe they are using him to try to get at Williams, like he is trying to use UTEP for 'better offers'.

We need receivers and TEs. The kid is 6'5". His wording on twitter is just leaving a bad taste in everybody's mouth. Bad judgement, but he could probably give a shit. After watching Last Chance U, I'm not suprised at anything when it comes to football and recruiting and poor attitute or just plain stupidity. They are all just using each other.

Why would they even take his commit
I am not to sure but there was a certain punter for the Eagles who just got his Super Bowl ring and played for the Miners. The poor fella only had one D1 scholi out of high school and that was from UTEP. He was a Nord recruit.

I am not to sure but there was a certain punter for the Eagles who just got his Super Bowl ring and played for the Miners. The poor fella only had one D1 scholi out of high school and that was from UTEP. He was a Nord recruit.

I can’t speak for daydev but I’m assuming he’s not addressing the abilities of the kid but rather his loose conceptualization of “commitment”. Just a guess, though.

He plays alongside Lavea and Williams at Chapin. Both have offers from P5 schools among other G5’s. Plenty of scouts have gone out to his school and seen him play. Apparently they don’t think he’s worthy of an offer. Kid should be grateful UTEP is his first and only offer. It’s ok if he wants to wait for a better offer but then don’t commit. He could easily post a tweet he has been offered by UTEP and leave it at that.

This kid just transferred to chapin from North Carolina for his senior year. So i doubt the scouts that came to see his teammates have even seen him play. So to say those same scouts didnt think he is worth an offer is a unfair and incorrect assessment of him as a player.

Last edited:
If he thinks he is all that. Coach D should back off the offer he might
create problems.

Go Miners..

Huge commit indeed! Congrats to Dimel and his staff. It looked like Aaron Jones also did some lifting on this one over the summer as well. I wonder if this could possibly help us with Hankins teammate Lyles as well?

The early signing period starts on December 19th, let’s hope that Hankins is still committed to be a Miner on that date.

Great job by this staff, especially since they have only been after this kid since January at the earliest. I can’t wait to see him in a Miner uniform.

Reactions: minermx07
Huge commit indeed! Congrats to Dimel and his staff. It looked like Aaron Jones also did some lifting on this one over the summer as well. I wonder if this could possibly help us with Hankins teammate Lyles as well?

The early signing period starts on December 19th, let’s hope that Hankins is still committed to be a Miner on that date.
Looks just grand on tape, and lots of people want the Hankins kid. His commitment could create a waterfall of me-too.

But color me wary. Between now and Dec. 19, this commitment must be re-recruited time after time. {Question for the panel: Is re-recruit a word?}

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT