ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

What wil it take for a El Pasoan to be a 4 or even a 5 star? I thoughr Hankins did enough to be a 4 star.

What wil it take for a El Pasoan to be a 4 or even a 5 star? I thoughr Hankins did enough to be a 4 star.
I agree the kid has multiple P5 offers. No disrespect to our newly signed qb but he has no P5 offers and are both rated 3 star.

El Paso schoolboy football is getting better and better. Not just one man's opinion.

It is the consensus of coaches from towns -- Midland, Odessa, Lubbock et al -- who have been playing vs. Sun City teams for decades. From video and on-field experience, these rival coaches see a general upward trajectory that may be difficult for locals to discern.

Areas of most improvement, they say, have been upgrades in basic fundamentals of blocking/tackling, with a slight uptick in overall team speed.

For what it's worth.

El Paso HS football has taken off the past few years. Districts letting coaches build a foundation and little league Pop Warner has become solid in El Paso. With a massive military base like Fort Bliss, good talent comes in, but it leaves, too. UTEP football coaches are proactive and off field training is now a 24/7 business in El Paso. Not a doubt in my mind west Texas coaches from the pan handle to Permian Basin have taken notice and Permian Basin football made El Paso step up. El Paso does produce D1 talent and a small handful of FBS material. It will get better.

Reactions: HeWore62
The spread style of play and moving away from when we used to get physically dominated at the line of scrimmage has certainly helped, but the Permian Basin teams have also dropped at a greater level than El Paso teams have improved. As a whole, the Permian Basin teams have not been what they used to be in the 80’s and 90’s and that is the biggest reason that the gap has closed a little. The Permian Basin still has high quality teams every now and then, but they are no longer fighting for state championships every year like they used to.

Last edited:
The spread style of play and moving away from when we used to get physically dominated at the line of scrimmage has certainly helped, but the Permian Basin teams have also dropped at a greater level than El Paso teams have improved. As a whole, the Permian Basin teams have not been what they used to be in the 80’s and 90’s and that is the biggest ream that the gap has closed a little. The Permian Basin still has high quality teams every now and then, but they are no longer fighting for state championships every year like they used to.

Absolutely correct UTEPdefense, the Permian Basin teams rarely make a deep playoff run these days, not like when Midland Lee and Odessa Permian would collide in the regional final.

As for individual talent, Panhandle and Permian Basin talent still exists (see UTEP center Derron Gatewood) but it is no longer a river, and with years of hard work, El Paso programs have gained ground. Gee, was Aaron Jones any good?

This rise has been a long, long time in coming, so ... Here's a toast to you, Sun City coaches, for giving local kids better, safer training.

{Will be at the UTEP practice session tomorrow morning in Ruidoso. Old fat guy, big hat, camera, notepad. Hunt me up.}

According to posts from Bloomquist, Miners are playing a 4 - 2 - 5 on defense with Justin Rogers playing nickle. Hotchkins is already playing with the 1s along side RS freshman Sione Tupou. I don't want to sound like a homer but if Rogers is playing nickle, we are loaded at DB.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
According to posts from Bloomquist, Miners are playing a 4 - 2 - 5 on defense with Justin Rogers playing nickle. Hotchkins is already playing with the 1s along side RS freshman Sione Tupou. I don't want to sound like a homer but if Rogers is playing nickle, we are loaded at DB.
Tupou is impressing so far. He comes from good competition and has good size. Its just too bad our best OLB is ineligible.

They have been going back and forth between a 4-3 and 4-2-5. Either way I agree that we are good at CB if rogers is the nickel

Reactions: jdubb66
Not meaning to change the subject but is UTEP recruiting this big fella at Americas High?

ec7911089aea55b7172173476b6d3f38.gif

Here is what I have put together on Darta Lee. He played Left Tackle in high school, he was listed as a 3 star prospect and he had 24 Division 1 offers including Texas Tech and Kansas State. So our coaches might have recruited him back in high school and have a familiarity with him. He signed with Illinois and got arrested there along with two other players for a robbery in the dorms and he was dismissed. He went to Kilgore JC last year and played Right Tackle.

Despite playing both tackle positions previously, I agree that he looks more like a guard. After watching his High School and JC videos, he is at best when he gets his hands on the defender and he is somewhat mobile, but I am not sure if he will be an impact player for us? I also wonder why he is barely joining the team half-way through training camp? It looks like it’s worth a shot and he is certainly an interesting late addition.

Here is what I have put together on Darta Lee. He played Left Tackle in high school, he was listed as a 3 star prospect and he had 24 Division 1 offers including Texas Tech and Kansas State. So our coaches might have recruited him back in high school and have a familiarity with him. He signed with Illinois and got arrested there along with two other players for a robbery in the dorms and he was dismissed. He went to Kilgore JC last year and played Right Tackle.

Despite playing both tackle positions previously, I agree that he looks more like a guard. After watching his High School and JC videos, he is at best when he gets his hands on the defender and he is somewhat mobile, but I am not sure if he will be an impact player for us? I also wonder why he is barely joining the team half-way through training camp? It looks like it’s worth a shot and he is certainly an interesting late addition.

UTEP's starting O-line will be quite serviceable, but the bench is thin. (at LB, too) Any sizable mesomorph, especially with experience, would be welcome.

However ....

Stealing or roughing up a woman were two tickets for quick exits for any player under Kugler. Ditto for the Dimel program. The new mandate on conduct with women could be even more restrictive: No disrespecting a woman. Somebody define that for us.

Is disagreeing with an angry woman "disrespectful"?

Last edited:
"Lee, a Fresno (Texas) native, played in six games as a true freshman, including two starts. He was the first true freshman offensive lineman to start a season opener in 20 years. Lee was battling for a starting spot in spring practice."

"Darta Lee, 19, formerly of Champaign, sentenced Friday, May 4, 2018, to conditional discharge after pleading guilty to to misdemeanor theft in a May 10, 2017, incident in which he and two other former Illini football players stole cash from a fellow resident of Bromley Hall."

Misdemeaner theft? Sounds more like home invasion. I guess we need these second chancers to win.

He plead to a misdemeanor theft. Sounds like he got sticky fingers seeing cash on the "fellow resident". Kind of like when the stripper leaves her purse full of bills and she tells you "Watch my purse! It's my turn on stage", and for life the of you you swear you have never seen so many twenties in your life and you try and try not to get tempted. He got tempted.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT