ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

I think their most prized recruit so far is that QB from Cy Falls TJ Goodwin.

I think their most prized recruit so far is that QB from Cy Falls TJ Goodwin.
I disagree. Hankins should be a 4 star but since he plays in El Paso he doesn’t get the respect he deserves. Compare the universities after Hankins to the ones after Goodwin and that will tell you which of the two is a more prized recruit.

Interesting that she expresses the facts when other adults apparently cannot.

"The truth! You can't handle the truth!"

What facts did she state?

I read alot about UTEP'S loss,I think that they will come around it's just the beginning, it's a new program be patient,change doesn't happen overnight. I believe everything was nice,me & my son and daughter enjoyed ourselves,UTEP will come around have faith#915
1f919.png
1f499.png
1f9e1.png

Reactions: HeWore62
Deion Hankins did not play last night. Is he injured?, or possibly being held out just to be cautious?

I spoke to coach Rebstock this evening and he said that UTEP is bringing in some big recruits this weekend.

It was stated on twitter yesterday that the 5 local D1 kids, plus TJ Goodwin will be officially visiting this weekend. Which is also unique because these 5 local guys are playing against each other Friday night in the Parkland vs. Chapin game, then they are all visiting UTEP together during the same weekend. Half of these 6 recruits are already committed to us. Keeping all 3 of these kids committed, plus adding Lyles would be a best case scenario in my opinion. In fact getting Lyles would be very exciting because he checks every box in regards to both need and talent. He could likely help us very early in his career. Flipping Williams is probably not likely, but would obviously be a big coup and much needed as well. At this point, I just hope we can keep our 3 commits and maybe add 1 more of these 6. Getting all 6 would be an incredible start for our coaching staff and maybe even program changing, particularly for our offense.

Last edited:
It was stated on twitter yesterday that the 5 local D1 kids, plus TJ Goodwin will be officially visiting this weekend. Which is also unique because these 5 local guys are playing against each other Friday night in the Parkland vs. Chapin game, then they are all visiting UTEP together during the same weekend. Half of these 6 recruits are already committed to us. Keeping all 3 of these kids committed, plus adding Lyles would be a best case scenario in my opinion. In fact getting Lyles would be very exciting because he checks every box in regards to both need and talent. He could likely help us very early in his career. Flipping Williams is probably not likely, but would obviously be a big coup and much needed as well. At this point, I just hope we can keep our 3 commits and maybe add 1 more of these 6. Getting all 6 would be an incredible start for our coaching staff and maybe even program changing, particularly for our offense.

He told me that there were a couple of JUCO kids coming in as well.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
Sitting directly behind Hankins, Goodwin and about 8 other HS recruits. All these kids have great size and will be great additions to the Miners next year, if they honor their commitments.

Sitting directly behind Hankins, Goodwin and about 8 other HS recruits. All these kids have great size and will be great additions to the Miners next year, if they honor their commitments.

We could really use them.

This certainly continues to make me feel better about Dimel. UTEP has only had 1 recruiting class in the past 8 years that had more 3 star recruits than Dimel already has committed for this year’s class. It’s even more impressive that Dimel is getting kids to commit and take a chance on us during a low time when we have the longest losing streak in the nation.

BTW, that North Shore team is elite this year and has a ridiculous amount of talent.

Im glad Dimel is adding size to our WR's. Kugler seemed to only recruit WR's 5'6 "- 5'10".

Im glad Dimel is adding size to our WR's. Kugler seemed to only recruit WR's 5'6 "- 5'10".

If Dimel can add Lyles, and that is a big if, then his 3 WR recruits for this year would be 6’5”, 6’2”, and 6’2”. That is legit D1 WR size. Add these big 6’2”+ 6’5” WR’s to our 6’5” QB commit, then line up a big 200+ pound Deion Hankins in the backfield and we are going to potentially have a big team. We might not play well, but at least we are going to look good when we step off the bus. BTW, the CB that visited this weekend was 6’1”, which is also good size for that position, so Dimel appears to really be targeting players with size.

We have 5 Senior WR’s graduating this year and I wouldn’t be surprised if a couple more don’t return as well, so there could be a need for even more WR’s to come.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
If Dimel can add Lyles, and that is a big if, then his 3 WR recruits for this year would be 6’5”, 6’2”, and 6’2”. That is legit D1 WR size. Add these big 6’2”+ 6’5” WR’s to our 6’5” QB commit, then line up a big 200+ pound Deion Hankins in the backfield and we are going to potentially have a big team. We might not play well, but at least we are going to look good when we step off the bus. BTW, the CB that visited this weekend was 6’1”, which is also good size for that position, so Dimel appears to really be targeting players with size.

We have 5 Senior WR’s graduating this year and I wouldn’t be surprised if a couple more don’t return as well, so there could be a need for even more WR’s to come.
We also have 3 star 6’2” Nwachukwu and 3 star 6’0” Garrett WR’s from the 2018 class that should be seeing the field next year.

Furthermore, do we really need him back next year?
Kavika is a decent possession receiver and he is experienced. If we have WRs that can spread the defense downfield then he will come in handy. He hasn't had many chances. He doesn't have to be a starter or even one of the top options, but a nice part of the WR core. Of course our QB has to be able the throw.

Kavika Johnson is planning to redshirt so he’ll be back next year

According to the official stats in the link below, Kavika Johnson has already played in 4 games this year. If he is going to red shirt, then he can not play in any more games this year:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/utepathletics.com/documents/2018/9/22/UTEPFBStats2018.pdf

I agree with Stanman and wonder if once we reach the final 4 games of this season, if we will start to see a lot of freshman get a lot of “free” experience and still get their redshirt?

Last edited:
Kavika is a decent possession receiver and he is experienced. If we have WRs that can spread the defense downfield then he will come in handy. He hasn't had many chances. He doesn't have to be a starter or even one of the top options, but a nice part of the WR core. Of course our QB has to be able the throw.

He is a great athlete, I'm just not sure that he
According to the official stats in the link below, Kavika Johnson has already played in 4 games this year. If he is going to red shirt, then he can play play in any more games this year:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/utepathletics.com/documents/2018/9/22/UTEPFBStats2018.pdf

I agree with Stanman and wonder if once we reach the final 4 games of this season, if we will start to see a lot of freshman get a lot of “free” experience and still get their redshirt?

I think you can only play in the first 4 games in order to be eligible for the redshirt. I don't believe you can pick and choose which 4 games you play in and then redshirt

Has anyone found stats on this new WR commit? I've seen weekly stats, and good write ups about him but not very much production this season, but I think he plays on a run first style of team....

Can anyone help?

According to the official stats in the link below, Kavika Johnson has already played in 4 games this year. If he is going to red shirt, then he can not play in any more games this year:

My understanding it doesn't work that way. Declare it or burn it is the motto I've read.

Im glad that Dimel and staff have picked up the recruiting efforts, but remember we are still way off par from even most schools in CUSA. UTSA for example has signed about 30 3-star athletes in the last two cycles, and they still suck. This is going to take time and Dimel will need to show results on the field, but It's nice to get better caliber players. I think more will follow.

Also, I say keep the graduate tranfers and top JUCO players coming as well, at least until this team can get on its feet at least.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Coach Dimel mentioned it on the radio show last night and it blew Teicher away cuz he said he thought he was in the know when it came to the goings on at Utepia.

Maybe you just want to keep him for an experience factor. Is he going to be your number one? Hopefully not. He’s a 3 or 4 at best. But like you guys said, if you have a bunch of freshmen and JUCO’s coming in maybe there is a little bit of a benefit in keeping him around for another year. Also, if he hasn’t used his redshirt, why not let him use it? I know Kugler played a lot of true freshmen, and I wonder if guys like Mascorro and Josh Fields will get redshirted as well.

Reactions: minermx07
From everything I’ve read the four game doesn’t apply to only the first four games. As long as the player doesn’t play more than four games at any point throughout the season.

Maybe you just want to keep him for an experience factor. Is he going to be your number one? Hopefully not. He’s a 3 or 4 at best. But like you guys said, if you have a bunch of freshmen and JUCO’s coming in maybe there is a little bit of a benefit in keeping him around for another year. Also, if he hasn’t used his redshirt, why not let him use it? I know Kugler played a lot of true freshmen, and I wonder if guys like Mascorro and Josh Fields will get redshirted as well.
Dimel said that Kavika asked to stay as a red shirt for his growth. Source: radio show last night

My understanding it doesn't work that way. Declare it or burn it is the motto I've read.

A player of any class can redshirt as long as they do not play in more than 4 games during the season, it does not matter which 4 games they play in. Here is an article which talks about how freshmen will even be allowed to play in Bowl Games and still redshirt:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...can-compete-4-games-maintain-redshirt-status/

If Dimel wants to start playing his freshman towards the end of the season and still keep them as redshirts, then he should be able to do that.

Reactions: minerfan_14
Minerfan has the new redshirt rule correct, so far as explained to me by UTEP staffers. The news of the Clemson QB's departure will not be the last such announcement.

Indeed, the UTEP roster is so dotted with QBs (overloaded, some might say), almost certainly at least one of those guys will transfer out of my alma mammy at semester -- maybe more than one, and maybe sooner.

Ask me (nobody did), I view allowing athletes to play in a max of four games and call it a redshirt season stands clear as one of the few measures handed down by the NCAA that favors the athletes. Bravo. Typically the hide-bound fathers of college athletics rule in of coaches or universities.

After all, who manufactures the actual product we so enjoy watching?

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
Dimel said that Kavika asked to stay as a red shirt for his growth. Source: radio show last night
Kavika Johnson came in as a QB, then moved to WR and now occupies that great dark abyss between positions. Frankly, I never saw the kid as a difference-maker, and still don't.

But Johnson is a positive influence in the team room and, if he gets his degree, UTEP gets to count his classroom achievements toward our academic status. I hope he stays, and lends stability and maturity to a program that will remain in flux for another year or two.

Hang in there like a rusty fish hook, Kavika Johnson.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT