ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

I dont think this coach or these recruits would have made a difference, but that's not the point.

I understand but I think they would have made a difference. You’re talking about two three star safeties/wr who through my eyes are game changers. And on top of that one of those players is brother to our future QB who will probably leave. Makes a huge difference. And on top of all that we finally are getting a connection with cyfalls and the Houston area and we completely destroy that. I’m just dumbfounded at out current situation.

As the UTEP football dumpster fire continues to get hotter by the month, I expect more coaches and players to jump off this sinking ship. The problem is Dimel's money is guaranteed and he's gonna get paid millions of $, even if he fail to win another game. He's got no incentive to produce anything, just more misery.

Reactions: NewYorkCityMiner
I agree that these were good players, but I'm confused on how we destroyed the cy falls connection? Their position coach left and they decommitted. It happens quite often. Is there more to the situation that is not public?

I understand but I think they would have made a difference. You’re talking about two three star safeties/wr who through my eyes are game changers. And on top of that one of those players is brother to our future QB who will probably leave. Makes a huge difference. And on top of all that we finally are getting a connection with cyfalls and the Houston area and we completely destroy that. I’m just dumbfounded at out current situation.

I agree that these were good players, but I'm confused on how we destroyed the cy falls connection? Their position coach left and they decommitted. It happens quite often. Is there more to the situation that is not public?

Since the season ended, we have lost 2 players from Cy Ranch and 2 commits from Cy Falls. That is not a good trend towards building a pipeline.

That being said, Dimel appeared to know that these 2 guys decommitting was happening during the December Signing Period, when he listed the commits that we have for Feb, but he did not list any DB's.

What might become a problem, is that some of our JC commits also selected pics with Rebstock, when they posted their visit pics. Is there a chance of them now asking out of their LOI's, since their position coach(and likely primary recruiter) is now gone?

Both kids we lost were really smart kids. High GPA's and ACT scores. Both kids could end up at Rice or a Sevice Academy.

Now that the quiet period has ended, I am guessing that we will have recruits on campus for visits during the next 3 weekends, leading up to signing day.

Reactions: Lil_Train

He looks like a decent prospect physically, but there's not much technique and every 3rd or 4th play looks like a penalty on his HUDL film. There's also too much non-sense after the play, which we already have enough of.

Dimel has not proven himself to be the most effective at correcting discipline/technique that leads to penalties. So I am not sure if adding him would be the best combination.

Good speed. Lean. Can lay the wood. Good lateral shut down speed which UTEP needs badly. Many lower division school offers. PHS is a solid program and no doubt Hankins will play in his decision. Reminds me of Thomas Howard (R.I.P.) who came to UTEP undersized but bulked up to become a UTEP LB legend and solid NFL linebacker.

For every Thomas Howard there are about 10 local similar undersized DE/LB's who have signed with UTEP, but then they never made an impact at UTEP. Jevaughn Thomas, Josh Wells, Chris Barnwell, Christian Johnson, that LB from Hanks that Kugler signed and I can't even remember his name. These are just recent examples and off the top of my head. I would hope that Simmons does well if he signs with us and he was productive in high school, but I don't see what position he would even translate to at the D1 level? He might be worth a long term 5 year(grey shirt) investment and it doesn't hurt to add 1 or 2 local guys like that each year, but to say that he reminds of Thomas Howard after watching that HUDL video seems like a stretch.

He looks like a decent prospect physically, but there's not much technique and every 3rd or 4th play looks like a penalty on his HUDL film. There's also too much non-sense after the play, which we already have enough of.

Dimel has not proven himself to be the most effective at correcting discipline/technique that leads to penalties. So I am not sure if adding him would be the best combination.

I don’t know. He looks like a lineman that is willing to move in space and run downfield which I really liked. And the hits after the play, I get what you’re saying. Those could easily turn into penalties if he’s not careful. But is that a lack of discipline or does he possess a little dog in him? Because if he’s got some dog in him I’ll gladly take that. I saw where he’s listed at 6’3” which seems either inaccurate or those D-linemen he was facing against are tiny. My concern is he’s not going to be able to throw D-Linemen at this level.

He looks big enough and physical enough, but I count 8 different plays where he wraps both arms around the defender and throws them to the ground. Why is he putting plays like this on his HUDL video, as if doing this is cool or something? Those are penalties and poor technique. You can even see the penalty flag being called on him at the 1:02 mark of the video. There is another play on his HUDL where he catches a backwards pass during practice and then jumps over a teammate as he goes into the end zone, except that he appears to intentionally stomp on his teammate while jumping over him.

Dimel has a lot of work to do regarding on-field discipline if he is going to earn our trust back and I don't see this guy being an asset towards achieving that goal. He also has a lack of FBS scholarship offers, so maybe there is a reason for that?

Last edited:
He looks big enough and physical enough, but I count 8 different plays where he wraps both arms around the defender and throws them to the ground. Why is he putting plays like this on his HUDL video, as if doing this is cool or something? Those are penalties and poor technique. You can even see the penalty flag being called on him at the 1:02 mark of the video. There is another play on his HUDL where he catches a backwards pass during practice and then jumps over a teammate as he goes into the end zone, except that he appears to intentionally stomp on his teammate while jumping over him.

Dimel has a lot of work to do regarding on-field discipline if he is going to earn our trust back and I don't see this guy being an asset towards achieving that goal. He also has a lack of FBS scholarship offers, so maybe there is a reason for that?

There was a really bad penalty at 1:29 as well. But the play before was really nice, he slapped the D-lineman’s hands as he tried to dip around him and he put him on the floor. It’s obviously wishful thinking that a kid like him could be an immediate starter. But why not take a flyer on him? You can teach technique/discipline. You can’t teach size/desire. But I do agree that Dimel and his O-Line coach have not shown to have the ability to instill discipline.

Last edited:
Reactions: UTEPDefense
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT