ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

Not a single one of the players would have been even in the top five for fastest player on the team last year in my opinion. I think Tyrin would walk down everyone in this class, minus two people and he wasn't even in the top 5. Just my opinion though. I do agree with you though that the scheme will allow the players to play significantly faster than last year. Fingers crossed it will net a favorable result.
Watch Kam Thomas and Trey Goodman highlights and still see if you feel that way. Goodman even looked fast against Tennessee Vols. I'm curious how fast they really are though.

Good question, and alright, who dished out the $$
Nah, I don’t think it’s necessarily that. A kid that is good enough to be recruited by Auburn/Alabama is talented, but still has to wait three years before entering the draft. Why not out talent everyone for a year or two and then transfer up after you have made a name for yourself.

Nah, I don’t think it’s necessarily that. A kid that is good enough to be recruited by Auburn/Alabama is talented, but still has to wait three years before entering the draft. Why not out talent everyone for a year or two and then transfer up after you have made a name for yourself.
If Walden can sell being a Big Fish on a small pound to 2 or or 3 of these guys a year that'd be Awesome. I don't even think Dimel tried to go after guys of this level!

Watch Kam Thomas and Trey Goodman highlights and still see if you feel that way. Goodman even looked fast against Tennessee Vols. I'm curious how fast they really are though.
I've watched the first round playoff game on ESPN on demand and neither of those players could beat Tyrin Smith in a 40 or top GPS speed in my opinion. Then when you factor in neither of them had anywhere close to Tyrin's 2022 season against much worse competition and they had a much better quarterback and offensive system. I get it, he's hated around here, but these guys are simply not better from what I've seen. And as I stated earlier, Tyrin wasn't top 5 in any of the races I've witnessed in the last two seasons. The fastest young man didn't even play, so straight line speed isn't everything.

Reactions: FedupMiner
If Walden can sell being a Big Fish on a small pound to 2 or or 3 of these guys a year that'd be Awesome. I don't even think Dimel tried to go after guys of this level!
Yep. Honestly recruiting from a notoriety standpoint, the improvement from Dimel is tenfold.

Last edited:
I've watched the first round playoff game on ESPN on demand and neither of those players could beat Tyrin Smith in a 40 or top GPS speed in my opinion. Then when you factor in neither of them had anywhere close to Tyrin's 2022 season against much worse competition and they had a much better quarterback and offensive system. I get it, he's hated around here, but these guys are simply not better from what I've seen. And as I stated earlier, Tyrin wasn't top 5 in any of the races I've witnessed in the last two seasons. The fastest young man didn't even play, so straight line speed isn't everything.
You sure have been pro Smith forever. What's the connection?

Well then hopefully we keep some fast guys who didn't play last year and they thrive in this new offense.

Reactions: Taco1977
Mentioned on 600 espn that some of the HS coaches have said it’s the first time in 5/7 years since they last saw someone from UTEP.
That was one the big issues I had with Dimel. He wasn’t even recruiting Texas HS kids. That’s the reason some players were asking what a UTEP was. It’s all about brand recognition. You may not get them initially, but you have to at least try. You may get them later if they end up entering the transfer portal. If you expect to have a winning program you have to recruit HS players and and go after transfers in the portal. You can go after a few solid players in JC to address immediate needs.

I’m not going to be too critical of Coach Walden on his first recruiting class at UTEP. Coach Walden had a very short time to move to El Paso, recruit players and assemble his staff. Let’s see what he’s able to do with our existing players and the new guys he added. I’m expecting better recruiting classes in the coming years after he and his coaches have settled in.

Reactions: MinerManiac
That was one the big issues I had with Dimel. He wasn’t even recruiting Texas HS kids. That’s the reason some players were asking what a UTEP was. It’s all about brand recognition. You may not get them initially, but you have to at least try. You may get them later if they end up entering the transfer portal. If you expect to have a winning program you have to recruit HS players and and go after transfers in the portal. You can go after a few solid players in JC to address immediate needs.
Dimel just relied on connections. He only offered kids that he could get. He also wanted kids who were December graduates. Another thing Dimel did was redshirt, grey shirt, and blue shirt almost everyone.

Walden will seemingly go after anyone who can play and be ok with being turned down

I’m not going to be too critical of Coach Walden on his first recruiting class at UTEP. Coach Walden had a very short time to move to El Paso, recruit players and assemble his staff. Let’s see what he’s able to do with our existing players and the new guys he added. I’m expecting better recruiting classes in the coming years after he and his coaches have settled in.
I find it impressive considering they only had two weeks. And they got a lot of talent from Texas and the Southeast. Former 3/4 star players, FCS All Americans.

The recruiting class could end up being a dud, but so have the last 25 or so recruiting classes (for the most part).

I find it impressive considering they only had two weeks. And they got a lot of talent from Texas and the Southeast. Former 3/4 star players, FCS All Americans.

The recruiting class could end up being a dud, but so have the last 25 or so recruiting classes (for the most part).
I’m cautiously optimistic. I think it’s unreasonable to expect 7+ wins in year 1 but I think he’s hit the ground running as well as we could have hoped. Again, I love his self belief in what he’s trying to do here, because he got a group of kids to come to UTEP in a matter of weeks. And it’s like you guys have said, it seemed like Dimel and even Kugler wanted the kids to come to them while Walden is working his ass off.

Last edited:
So Collins was actually a flip commit? Its not a grades thing Utep actually did steal a recruit from Auburn? wow ...wow.

“24-7 Sports says the Pirates tight end is the 50th best athlete in the 2024 class.

Collins chose the Miners over Auburn, and no one is more thrilled than UTEP’s new head coach, Scotty Walden

Said Walden:”We are thrilled to announce Martavious Collins is apart of this class. He’s an OKG all the way. He’s going to make some big time plays for the miners.”

“Collins, an athlete ranked 174th nationally and No. 19 at his position on the 247Sports Composite, was primarily recruited by Tide assistants Eric Wolford and Joe Cox. The 6-foot-3 Collins committed on July 20, becoming the second member of Nick Saban’s 2024 class.”

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
“Collins, an athlete ranked 174th nationally and No. 19 at his position on the 247Sports Composite, was primarily recruited by Tide assistants Eric Wolford and Joe Cox. The 6-foot-3 Collins committed on July 20, becoming the second member of Nick Saban’s 2024 class.”

Not sure if these sites have fact checkers, but they're wrong on his ranking significantly. Still potentially a good pickup for us though without all the fluff.

I’m cautiously optimistic. I think it’s unreasonable to expect 7+ wins in year 1 but I think he’s hit the ground running as well as we could have hoped. Again, I love his self belief in what he’s trying to do here, because he got a group of kids to come to UTEP in a matter of weeks. And it’s like you guys have said, it seemed like Dimel and even Kugler wanted the kids to come to them while Walden is working his ass off.
Utep should win enough games to reach bowl eligibility. Utep has a top 4 football budget, so that should be the expectation every year.

Utep should win enough games to reach bowl eligibility. Utep has a top 4 football budget, so that should be the expectation every year.
I agree bowl eligibility should be the reasonable expectation for any college football program. I’m just willing to have a lower bar this year since it’s a new coach, there’s a lot of roster turnover, new offensive and defensive schemes. I don’t want to expect everything to magically click in week 1.

@Nebraska
@Tennessee
@Colorado State
@Louisiana Tech
@NMSU
@WKU
@Liberty
Southern Utah
Jacksonville State
FIU
SHSU
MTSU

Just because I had free time.... this is next year's schedule? We should win all home games, so then we just win one or two on the road? I think it's very doable.

Not making excuses but its a bit difficult being thrusted into an interview process prepping for playoffs and then have 3 weeks until signing day to evaluate what you have in the building (minus whats entered the portal) and then be laser focused on what you need (how do you even know what you need?) and then get kids to commit. Spring Ball should shake things out and I would hope watching a ton of film and evaluating what is now here vs. needs --- certainly not as orchestrated as it will be this time next year so my hope things will be even better ....

Not making excuses but its a bit difficult being thrusted into an interview process prepping for playoffs and then have 3 weeks until signing day to evaluate what you have in the building (minus whats entered the portal) and then be laser focused on what you need (how do you even know what you need?) and then get kids to commit. Spring Ball should shake things out and I would hope watching a ton of film and evaluating what is now here vs. needs --- certainly not as orchestrated as it will be this time next year so my hope things will be even better ....
Plus, Walden mentioned having like 5 OVs scheduled prior to the February signing period. I believe he said he would like to go after more HS guys, but I would also like him to hit the portal. Realistically, getting those guys would require NIL $$$.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT