ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

Everyone knows before NIL, players were getting paid. So coaches before did have to go through it. Kruger and Dimel were lazy recruiters and were scared to recruit with the bigger schools. UTEP was scared to recruit against schools in their own conference. Walden is a young coach and he looks hungry. He wants that bigger job , he is putting past coaches to shame. But now we just have to see if he can coach.
Whether he can coach or not, he seems to have a solid core of "coaches" around him. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out. If he wins at UTEP, he's earned a big payday from a bigger school! lol

Actually, he did. Stull opened up the checkbook for Kugler's recruiting. For example, Brian Natkin (Now with the AZ Cardinals) was under Kugler, recruited the pacific NW and NorCal. Kugler got a player from Baltimore (I forgot his name) and Mack Leftwich from Pennsylvania and a linebacker from Wisconsin.

An out of state recruit here and there doesn’t make up for the scrap heap he accumulated under his tenure. The Jones bros, Hernandez and company couldn’t make up for all the deficiencies.

But they didn't have to worry about NIL and which Dimel had an upper hand because he had good juco connections built on years of work. That doesn't mean he was a good head coach; I am saying he was a good recruiter getting players who were looking for a D1 team (and to transfer up).

For example, UTEP had to offer Zid Powell $50,000 for his services (as per Kappy, ESPN600 radio show week of Jan 22-26). How much does Walden have to pay to get the next Tyler Ebell, the next Marcus Thomas, or Lorne Sam? How much NIL did FSU LB transfer Dylan Brown-Turner receive?
Again ... UTEP didn't offer Powell a dollar! That's not how NIL works. Utep or any other University for that matter doesn't pay players!

3 players…whoo (to 2step)
Overall Kugler was lucky the Jones’ brothers and Hernandez didn’t bolt
A) Go to commit list (on this site)
B) Select year (Kugler years)

See for yourself. I just went from my memory.

I am not defending Kugler, I was disappointed in Kugler's coaching at UTEP. Jones brothers and Hernandez would've stayed to play for Kugler. No doubt in my mind.

Again ... UTEP didn't offer Powell a dollar! That's not how NIL works. Utep or any other University for that matter doesn't pay players!
Yes, natty. I was just sourcing Kappy's and his side kick comments over a week ago on his radio show.

Reactions: kickballpro
Using context clues.... it would appear the old bat 2Step misunderstood a conversation about NIL.
Correct. The conversation was of course in reference to the basketball Miner NIL collective, which has made ~$300K per year available for the team. In comparison, UNM has around a $2M NIL available for basketball. Onyema received $250K to sit on the bench at UT.

Correct. The conversation was of course in reference to the basketball Miner NIL collective, which has made ~$300K per year available for the team. In comparison, UNM has around a $2M NIL available for basketball.
I was just talking about that with my son yesterday. UNM is top 25 with a good coach and good recruiting. UTEP has fallen so far its ridiculous.

I was just talking about that with my son yesterday. UNM is top 25 with a good coach and good recruiting. UTEP has fallen so far its ridiculous.
The sad part is UTEP is unable to even compete with schools that are at an equal level. You look at a team like LaTech, who do not report a NIL, and they are still able to win at a much better rate. This year, basically they added two difference maker guys (Batcho, Batcho Man and Chavez) and returned Crawford. That is an example of the type of players Golding needs to get. No bueno.

That's an NCAA violation. I am sure you misunderstood what Kappy was saying.
“ Though there are varying ways in which athletes can earn NIL contracts, the most common are as follows:
Accepting direct payments for promotional activities.
Receiving free or sponsored products in exchange for promotion.
Receiving free or sponsored services in exchange for promotion.”

His promo activities, sponsored products, services or direct payment were estimated at $50k, as I heard Kap and his sidekick guesstimate.

Christ almighty, some of you need to get….

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil_Train
“ Though there are varying ways in which athletes can earn NIL contracts, the most common are as follows:
Accepting direct payments for promotional activities.
Receiving free or sponsored products in exchange for promotion.
Receiving free or sponsored services in exchange for promotion.”

His promo activities, sponsored products, services or direct payment were estimated at $50k, as I heard Kap and his sidekick guesstimate.

Christ almighty, some of you need to get….

That's not what you said.

You said: "UTEP had to offer Zid Powell $50,000 for his services"

UTEP doesn't offer money. If they did, then it's an NCAA violation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT