ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

I hope you’re right. I’m just going off of the history of UTEP football. One major reason for Mike Price’s failure to win a bowl or conference title at UTEP was his lack of a defense as the years wore on. He ran through D-Coordinators and even ran a 3 man front for a minute but they just bled points and his offenses as good as they were just couldn’t keep up in the end. And big run plugging linemen don’t grow on trees and they’re even rarer here at UTEP. And like I said, switching to a new staff, new recruits and a new defensive scheme will take time. I accept that. If they play hard and don’t give up I’ll be mostly satisfied I just hate watching the Miners give up, sulk and then what should be a bad loss just becomes a blowout..
I'm telling y'all now... this isnt Mike Price's UTEP Football team. Its Waldens. he's relentless. expects perfection of his staff -- finds a way to do the impossible. Im not saying this is the #12 seed in the tournament this year -- All im saying is UTEP will be better and will be held to higher expectations and this team will win 8 games -- maybe not this year but it will happen sooner than later. BELIEVE IT. I've seen what this staff can do -- and I am VERY OBJECTIVE... Winners have a different approach, attitude, and beliefs and all that has landed in El Paso.

Poppa pop, you must forgive us on this board having little optimism, we have seen bad coaching and play for so long it’s are to turn the ship. My bet is the new attitude and coaching staff get it done, If they win the Sun Bowl will have 40,000 for every game!
I'm telling y'all now... this isnt Mike Price's UTEP Football team. Its Waldens. he's relentless. expects perfection of his staff -- finds a way to do the impossible. Im not saying this is the #12 seed in the tournament this year -- All im saying is UTEP will be better and will be held to higher expectations and this team will win 8 games -- maybe not this year but it will happen sooner than later. BELIEVE IT. I've seen what this staff can do -- and I am VERY OBJECTIVE... Winners have a different approach, attitude, and beliefs and all that has landed in El Paso.

simple question... is what has transpired here in 2 months something y'all have seen before? the answer is no OR its been a long damn time... change is here -- expect to win. believe we can. could it be a transition year? sure but if its THAT we will all leave 2024 optimistic that we will do great things in 2025 ... (thats worst case). We are going to be good and cant wait till we blow out NM and silence the NM barstool account.

I agree 8 wins or more year 2, and noticable improvement this year. Looking forward to this year, but temperering my expectations year 1 to 4 wins and will be happy with any over that.

simple question... is what has transpired here in 2 months something y'all have seen before? the answer is no OR its been a long damn time... change is here -- expect to win. believe we can. could it be a transition year? sure but if its THAT we will all leave 2024 optimistic that we will do great things in 2025 ... (thats worst case). We are going to be good and cant wait till we blow out NM and silence the NM barstool account.
100% I’m optimistic, but it’s like you said, we’re 2 months into this and I prefer to err on the side of caution and ultimately the results on the field will speak for themselves. I think NMSU is taking a big step back following the loss of Kill and Pavia and UTEP has upgraded so we might get them this year.

Reactions: Rot and EPUTEP
one last point... I know I'm "the new guy" full of optimism and not lived the history... I can empathize with that. Easy for me to say. I've seen walden & Co from Southern Miss to Austin Peay to El Paso ... he's left everywhere better than it was and Ive become MORE of a believer over time ... SO

I get where y'all are coming from. I don't understand BUT I understand. That said, this is the most passionate fan base i've seen on the journey and its gonna be awesome to see people super passionate about UTEP FOOTBALL

one last point... I know I'm "the new guy" full of optimism and not lived the history... I can empathize with that. Easy for me to say. I've seen walden & Co from Southern Miss to Austin Peay to El Paso ... he's left everywhere better than it was and Ive become MORE of a believer over time ... SO

I get where y'all are coming from. I don't understand BUT I understand. That said, this is the most passionate fan base i've seen on the journey and its gonna be awesome to see people super passionate about UTEP FOOTBALL
Quick question Poppa. Do you have Locklear as QB1? At this point I have to think it is between him and McConnell. That said, there is still time for Walden to bring in another guy, if he decides to. I guess Spring ball will reveal more. Appreciate your insights.

Many of us would love to still be talking about how fun the Scotty Walden era was 20 years from now. Especially if it includes a post-season bowl game win. That would be very, very sweet.

Do you think he could coach the basketball team too?

Quick question Poppa. Do you have Locklear as QB1? At this point I have to think it is between him and McConnell. That said, there is still time for Walden to bring in another guy, if he decides to. I guess Spring ball will reveal more. Appreciate your insights.
That's the million dollar question... no insider information (i dont ask because I never want to know) but i think thats a safe guess.... On the one hand skyler knows the offense but doesnt have the experience and on the other McConnell has the experience but doesnt know the play book. Skyler has one hell of an arm and I would be willing to bet would have won/competed at AP this year so I think we will all know after springball

It’s been a long damn time. I would say I haven’t seen this type of energy since Mike Price was first hired. He brought instant energy and if Walden’s first two years are like Price’s first two years, then that will be amazing. Most on this board always brings up the last years of the Price era but the first years were glorious. Of course, we didn’t have any bowl wins but under Price, we always had an exciting offense and we always had a chance. Our teams weren’t playing scared against the P5s of the world and the Sun Bowl was rocking. This recruiting class is definitely giving most of us Miner fans a lot of hope. You just have to bear with us because we have over 100 years of horrible football history. Just to give you some perspective, look up the legendary UTEP upset over BYU game and understand that is a great example of UTEP football. One great upset win on an otherwise winless season and that pretty much sums up Utep football history. It’s always been hard to be a Miner fan! It’s not for the faint of heart.

I don’t remember getting 18, 3 star recruits at UTEP. Again, this does not translate into automatic wins, but it’s nice to see UTEP ranked first in this category. The norm under the two previous coaches was either last or second to last in recruiting rankings. The impressive thing was the short amount of time this staff had to recruit. I also like the approach of getting HS players to build a solid foundation and getting the UTEP brand out there with Texas HS Coaches and players. Coach Walden also used the transfer portal to address immediate needs. IMHO, this is the right way to build a successful and long term winning program.
22+5 now. 27 of 41 commits/transfers

Reactions: PoppaPop
It seems El Pasoans are, by nature or culture, half-empty-till-you-show-me, kind of people. Skepticism seems to be a common trait among us...for generations. That creeps into business, politics, education and sports, unfortunately.

What's that quote from Shawshank Redemption...hope can be a very dangerous thing.

GO MINERS!

That's the million dollar question... no insider information (i dont ask because I never want to know) but i think thats a safe guess.... On the one hand skyler knows the offense but doesnt have the experience and on the other McConnell has the experience but doesnt know the play book. Skyler has one hell of an arm and I would be willing to bet would have won/competed at AP this year so I think we will all know after springball

I know the offense very well too. And can tell you that its not hard to pick up. But the QB needs a Strong Arm. That's what I would look for in this system because you're going to be asked to throw the Go from the far hash.

You tell me -- all i know is that things are better at UTEP today than they have been in a long damn time. when you say "The Defense is going to be really bad" -- just give me the measuring stick and If you are defending really bad we can figure out whats better than that. Avg number of points given up in league play? rank in defense in the league?

All i know is this football program is headed in the right direction and these coaches have proved all they could prove to this point. Great recruiting in less than 2 months -- the best in CUSA this round. next stop practice and spring ball -- lets see what we learn...

You're welcome to make the wager.

I didn't make that comment. I was just curious what you would bet.

All im saying is UTEP will be better and will be held to higher expectations and this team will win 8 games -- maybe not this year but it will happen sooner than later. BELIEVE IT.

Winners have a different approach, attitude, and beliefs and all that has landed in El Paso.

I will see it when I believe it. I really hope you are right because I have been waiting for great UTEP football for a long while.

So you're saying the past coaches didn't want to win? I don't understand the comment.

I'm sure we are going to win... and WIN CUSA ... just a matter of a short window of time... Its gonna be FUN IN THE SUN bowl again...

And if we don't?

I'm all for optimism, but I also don't like getting carried away.

I would say I haven’t seen this type of energy since Mike Price was first hired.

Not even close. UTEP was three years removed from a conference championship when Price was hired. The Walden hire is nowhere near the Price hire.

Stop being a jerk. He’s stating his beliefs. You freakin don’t have to fight over everything

So I'm being a "jerk" for stating my beliefs. 😂

Some people are too soft and get scared when people have opposing viewpoints.

I'm not fighting over everything. I'm just not a cheerleader.

Whether it happens or not, I expect 6 wins. Utep should be bowl eligible every year in this conference. We should win all 5 home games and hopefully sneak away with one on the road.

My actual prediction for the season? I have no idea because the QB is questionable. Last year was so easy to predict a 2-3 win season because Hardison is awful and Dimel is too.

In a perfect world: if everything lines up S Utah, Sam Houston, FIU, Keenesaw St and NMSU should be competitive if not winnable. But it’s wishful thinking to say UTEP will go undefeated at home because if they do that this team will be special because they’ll win a could take some road games too.

Last edited:
Reactions: EPUTEP
In a perfect world: if everything lines up S Utah, Sam Houston, FIU, Keenesaw St and NMSU should be competitive if not winnable. I then it’s wishful thinking to say UTEP will go undefeated at home because if they do that this team will be special because they’ll win a could of games on the road too.

Well said. My guess is 4-5 wins this year. Anything more than that will be awesome.

In a perfect world: if everything lines up S Utah, Sam Houston, FIU, Keenesaw St and NMSU should be competitive if not winnable. I then it’s wishful thinking to say UTEP will go undefeated at home because if they do that this team will be special because they’ll win a could of games on the road too.
Outside of MTSU, we have a really easy home schedule. The teams coming to the Sun bowl are awful, new to FBS and/or have a tough travel schedule.

If Walden is worth the hype, he wins all 5.

I've seen walden & Co from Southern Miss to Austin Peay to El Paso ... he's left everywhere better than it was

Are you sure about that? Walden was 1-3 with Southern Miss and they were 13-24 the next three years.

For the people out there who think disagreeing is "arguing" or "hating", I'm not doing any of that. I'm just calling out people who post things that aren't true.

Are you sure about that? Walden was 1-3 with Southern Miss and they were 13-24 the next three years.

For the people out there who think disagreeing is "arguing" or "hating", I'm not doing any of that. I'm just calling out people who post things that aren't true.

You need to provide context with that statement First off, he was the interim coach that 1-3 pandemic year. He was not the head coach for any recruiting cycles. Hard to place that on him when he only coached 4 games as the interim head coach.

Reactions: minerfan_14
You need to provide context with that statement First off, he was the interim coach that 1-3 pandemic year. He was not the head coach for any recruiting cycles. Hard to place that on him when he only coached 4 games as the interim head coach.

He coached at Southern Miss for 4 years and was the co-OC for 2 years.

All I'm saying is this statement isn't true: "I've seen walden & Co from Southern Miss to Austin Peay to El Paso ... he's left everywhere better than it was"

There is way too much "ra ra" on this thread. Walden has won zero games at UTEP and, so far, hasn't accomplished anything. There are already people saying he's going to win a CUSA championship, etc.

Let him coach and let's see how good he is. Once he gets UTEP to a bowl victory, then we can party!

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 1967miner
No. You're being a jerk because you like being a jerk.

How am I being a jerk? I bet you won't answer that.

I like being a jerk? lol No, I like telling things like it is. Some people can't handle that and that's ok.

If you can't handle opposing viewpoints, then you shouldn't be posting on a message board. If you can't handle people who don't agree with you, then you all can instead sit around, hold hands, sing Kumbaya, and you can all agree with each other and tell each other how great everything is.

Last edited:
Now back to UTEP recruiting! Great class. Now we have to wait about 7 months to hopefully see the good players on paper take their talents to the field.

Reactions: picks up
So I'm being a "jerk" for stating my beliefs. 😂

Some people are too soft and get scared when people have opposing viewpoints.

I'm not fighting over everything. I'm just not a cheerleader.
Your right, your not a cheerleader. Just don’t knock those who have a little more optimism than you. Especially someone who has more knowledge about this coaching staff.

Your right, your not a cheerleader. Just don’t knock those who have a little more optimism than you. Especially someone who has more knowledge about this coaching staff.

Who have I knocked down? Please show me.

I have optimism about the season, but I am also realistic.

I was just showing that Southern Miss was not better off after Walden left.

So many people are so soft on here and get scared when people don't agree with them.

He coached at Southern Miss for 4 years and was the co-OC for 2 years.

All I'm saying is this statement isn't true: "I've seen walden & Co from Southern Miss to Austin Peay to El Paso ... he's left everywhere better than it was"

There is way too much "ra ra" on this thread. Walden has won zero games at UTEP and, so far, hasn't accomplished anything. There are already people saying he's going to win a CUSA championship, etc.

Let him coach and let's see how good he is. Once he gets UTEP to a bowl victory, then we can party!
EP, you are incorrect and going a little bit to the dark side with your comments on Walden lol I like him and haven't been a ra ra type saying UTEP will go Bowling in year one. As a matter a fact I said probably 4 wins and anything over is great. However you're letting your disdain and disappointment in UTEP Football over the years, cause you to be unnecessarily and inaccurately down on Walden and this Gentleman who believes he'll do good things here at UTEP. First off Walden has accomplished something already. How about out recruiting Dimel by a long shot in just 2 months? When was the last time we were #1 in recruiting in CUSA? Isn't that accomplishing something? Yes he now has to prove it on the football field, but he's off to a great start in this aspect. Also you can't say he coached at S. Miss 4 years and they were worse after. What are you smoking? No assistant coach gets blamed for how the program did after they left lol 😅 He was only a stop gap interim for 4 games during Covid. That is all that he can be judged on while there, Period. I understand your frustration with UTEP, trust me, but you're going in way to hard on Walden, when the man has done nothing but be a Great Ambassador, Recruiter and Motivator in his short time here. You're disspondent with Utep Athletics, I get it, but give the man a chance and credit where credit is due.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT