ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

I have it

1.Rivals
2.ESPN
3.247 Sports

Its easy to rank the Top 50 guys but after that every site has their own opinion.For now I trust Rivals over any other site. I use to like Scout but they have gone downhill.
Rivals has UTEP with 8 commitments when it actually has 6. They still have Belton as a UTEP commit when he committed to Bowling Green a week ago. Rivals still has not rated 4 of the 6 UTEP actual commits. Rivals does not seem that accurate to me.

Reactions: El Paso 777
They have had 2 weeks to recruit with signing day in 2 weeks. What kind of class did you exoect? And it's still better than Kuglars classes.

Thats why im willing to give them a pass. Well they are still out there recruiting maybe they will finish it off with better players. The only player i like so faris Locksley. Other players are kugler types. Nobody knows who they are .

Thats why im willing to give them a pass. Well they are still out there recruiting maybe they will finish it off with better players. The only player i like so faris Locksley. Other players are kugler types. Nobody knows who they are .

To give them an F for recruiting is very ridiculous.

If it was Kugler type players, then 4 out of our 6 commitments would be from El Paso. Garrett and Nwachukueu(I can’t remember how to spell his name) are already huge upgrades at WR.

If it was Kugler type players, then 4 out of our 6 commitments would be from El Paso. Garrett and Nwachukueu(I can’t remember how to spell his name) are already huge upgrades at WR.
I am confused?! El Pasoan's were screaming at the top of their lungs to give EP players a chance at UTEP. Kugler answers the call and they have done fine and one makes the NFL. Trace Mascorro made CUSA All Freshman and will anchor the D line next year. Kugler recruited two local quality WR's but played Knute Rockne football in an open college hybrid offensive 21 century game. The local players on this squad are good, his play calling sucked.

What is with this “Mascorro is a stud.” “Mascorro will anchor the D-Line.” talk? Yes he was All-CUSA Freshman team. But come on people.... let’s not act like we saw the second coming of Warren Sapp out there. If a kid who had 29 tackles, 4 TFL, and ZERO sacks is our go to man on the line we’re in deep sh*t. He needs to produce a heck of a lot more, like everyone else on this team if they’re going to have a shot this year.

What is with this “Mascorro is a stud.” “Mascorro will anchor the D-Line.” talk? Yes he was All-CUSA Freshman team. But come on people.... let’s not act like we saw the second coming of Warren Sapp out there. If a kid who had 29 tackles, 4 TFL, and ZERO sacks is our go to man on the line we’re in deep sh*t. He needs to produce a heck of a lot more, like everyone else on this team if they’re going to have a shot this year.
First team? No. But watch his highlites more closely.

Canales selling UTEP. 'Bout damn time someone uses social media to show the obvious UTEP offers.

The second coming of Sapp? Wow! The kid was productive as hell! I don't think anyone is expecting the second coming of Sapp come knocking on our door, geeesh

My point exactly, 29 tackles, 4TFL and Zero sacks in 11 games..... that’s productive AS HELL? Come on people. 3 tackles per game and a tackle for loss less than 3 games does not constitute productive as hell.

Mascorro’s freshman year is a start, and I’m sure the players know and the staff know they need WAY more pressure up front if they’re going to stop people on D. Personally I would feel a lot more comfortable if this staff brings in a Juco guy to help the pass rush.

Last edited:
I am confused?! El Pasoan's were screaming at the top of their lungs to give EP players a chance at UTEP. Kugler answers the call and they have done fine and one makes the NFL. Trace Mascorro made CUSA All Freshman and will anchor the D line next year. Kugler recruited two local quality WR's but played Knute Rockne football in an open college hybrid offensive 21 century game. The local players on this squad are good, his play calling sucked.

Wha? Dude, I'm really starting to worry about you. 2 local quality WRs? Our receivers can't catch a cold. Then you mention ONE freshman that MIGHT have promise. If I remember correctly, we had 13 local kids on the roster. We went 0-12. While kuglers play calling did suck, so did his recruiting. Get the BEST local players. Don't let them to away. Don't take every scrap that is left that was on an all district team.
We could have Tom friggin Brady and Bellishit and still be 0-12 with these kids.

Last edited:
If anybody remembers The Coach’s radio at the beginning of the season he said a goal of his was to have a kid from every high school in El Paso represented on the team. That is not the way to run this program, it’s not some church league basketball where everyone gets to play because their parents are in the stands.

The local players on this squad are good, his play calling sucked.

You know, most people are ready to move on and accept the Kugler experiment for the absolute cluster that is was. But occasionally posters make comments that are not just revisionist history but factually incorrect. C'mon, even the most rabid UTEP fans doesn't believe that a non-competitive, 0-12 football team - which included a major roster presence of El Paso recruits - was unsuccessful because of "play-calling".

Mascorro is not from El Paso, but speaking of him, I think he did a really decent job for the miners. He is a powerful young man. He is undersized for his position yet he impressed in camp, won the starting DT position when Richardon was ruled ineligible and went on to make the all freshman CUSA team. Sure his numbers don't jump off at you but he is a keeper and will get better. Add Richardson at DT (if he qualifies) and those two can at the least provide a good starting point. If we upgrade then great! We need depth too.

I agree Mascorro had a good year last year, but he is from Refugio Texas, not El Paso. Play calling sucked but so did the talent level. It iswas it is ...EP football talent isn’t very good

Last edited:
They’re really stacking up on DBs, that was the position i felt best about given that they have 2 seniors returning.

Out of our 8 football commits:

- 4 are from Mountain West Conference states.
- 3 are from our home state of Texas.
- NONE are from other CUSA states.
- 1 is from Iowa where there is neither MWC nor CUSA schools.

Travel and recruiting would both be a lot easier had Stull not dropped the ball when we had the chance to get into the MWC.

Reactions: axingfools1
Out of our 8 football commits:

- 4 are from Mountain West Conference states.
- 3 are from our home state of Texas.
- NONE are from other CUSA states.
- 1 is from Iowa where there is neither MWC nor CUSA schools.

Travel and recruiting would both be a lot easier had Stull not dropped the ball when we had the chance to get into the MWC.

As long as they can play I don't care where they are from.

Reactions: Rot
From what I can see on our roster, We have 5 seniors in our secondary. That's a big loss in experience for next year. They are probably looking towards the future the amount of the DBs we are going after.
Also, we lose a lot of O-linemen this year, but they do have a few redshirt freshman this year.

You know, most people are ready to move on and accept the Kugler experiment for the absolute cluster that is was. But occasionally posters make comments that are not just revisionist history but factually incorrect. C'mon, even the most rabid UTEP fans doesn't believe that a non-competitive, 0-12 football team - which included a major roster presence of El Paso recruits - was unsuccessful because of "play-calling".

I get where you are coming from. But in reality, if Dimel can make some great lemonade out of what he has, then I'll be "Dilly! Dilly!" fine.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT