ADVERTISEMENT

Football vacancy

Posted this on another thread.

) Brennan Marion
2) Sean Lewis
3) Mack Leftwich
4) Emmett Jones
5) Will Stein

My immediate list of candidates I’d like to see UTEP interview. Marion is the answer to a turnaround IMO.

Adding Two grand slam hires tho: Gary Patterson and Jeff Banks. Don’t think UTEP can outbid anyone for them tho, the list above is more realistic.
Good List

I just think UTEP should be aiming higher for a decent name, an FCS head coach is kind of a lazy hire IMO.

Should be a P5 experienced/seasoned or someone who has had success at the G5 level and P5. So many good names in this cycle to settle for a successful FCS coach, not discrediting any of them, but this cycle has plenty of sexy FBS names UTEP can try to go after rather than settle for a cheap and safe hire. @GymCenter did the safe and cheap hire and got burned. The FBS market is great for UTEP to make a great hire that would turn heads.
I agree with the cheap part, but I never considered Dimel a safe hire. Hiring a guy with a losing record as a head coach, including an 0-11 season under his belt, hoping that he'd do better this time, was a ridiculous gamble, one that blew up in his face. I personally like the idea of bringing in somebody young, hungry, proven, and anxious to move up the ladder. I really don't care if he's a hotshot coordinator or a head coach at a smaller university, as long as he can recruit and win. Of course, what do I know. NMSU hired an old coach looking for a quiet place to retire, and it has worked wonderfully for them.

UTEP has to somehow pay more. Traylor at UTSA makes 2.5. Shit, Kentucky is paying Stoops $8M plus a year.

The money for coaches has gotten stupid, yes, but $1M just isn’t enough to snag a rising star coach IMO.
Even if we pay a million we’re gonna get a trash coach.

I'll join the delusional picks party. Sean McVay. Considered retirement after the Rams won the Super bowl.

Sure he has millions waiting for him as a TV guy. But who needs more millions piled on top of the millions already made when you're 37 years old?

UTEP would be a nice, cushy retirement job for him. We have patience as has been reported. He'd have 30 years at a cool mil per year to start living in a lower cost of living city. Win 6 or 7 games and Senter will extend the boner and the bump for another 5 to 10 years at a time. With the scratch he already has and the easy money he'll make at UTEP he can travel, party, save for his real retirement, raise his kid and pay for his kid's college -- wait, it would be free at UTEP -- and just live a very comfy Jim Senter type of life with the retirement job already in hand.

My quick 2 cents. No on Patterson or anyone with ties to El Paso/UTEP, do we need a 63 year old tryng to motivate 18 year olds or someone who is used to losing mentality and people around town thanking him for trying really hard after going 2-10. Didn't this experiment with Price, Dimel and Kugler and Floyd already fail, have we not learned anything? Hell, Stull came from UMASS and was successful, as was Billy Clyde, Sadler, Barbee. Get someone who can excite the fan base.

If we get a coach who is successful, decides to bolt for a better job after Year 3, then that means we would have had 2-3 successful winning seasons. I would take that in a second, it sure beats the last 20 plus years, hopefully Senter is smart enough (TBD) to build in a buyout clause if a coach leaves for another job for any years remaining on their contract. For some reason Stull never did that (Nor get BCG to actually sign his contract), so hopefully he didn't train Senter.
Exactly and if a coach does well enough to leave in 3 years then we will have a good foundation to build on. This is where UTEP has failed miserably in the past (maybe except the Sadler to Barbee hire).

Either Marion is legit gaining steam to UTEP or his agent is leveraging another job he’s up for or a raise at UNLV.

Either way, screw all yall wanted candidates (respectfully) 😝 GoGo offense might be the scheme that finally brings points to the Sun Bowl scoreboard.

So you are crediting the OC for the success at UNLV and not the head coach? Just asking...

I feel this pick would have the potential to leave the program worse off than it currently is. High risk hire as head coach in this particular circumstance.
Not necessarily. Young super motivated coach who can relate to players, bring in transfers, an innovative offense and embrace NIL. Look at UNLVs turnaround. Not saying he's my #1 choice, but it's not terrible. Utep is a stepping stone not a destination job.

So you are crediting the OC for the success at UNLV and not the head coach? Just asking...
Their offensive success yes, his starter was ripping things up, got hurt and his freshman backup took over and didn’t allow his head coach to use injuries as an excuse and he is playing for a conference championship this weekend, and this offense was in its first year of operation in Vegas.

Odom brought Marion in to run his own offense and got out of the way on the offensive side and now the last two programs he’s been at are playing this weekend for some hardware. Can’t forget he also had a small hand in developing Quinn Ewers last year at Texas who is also playing for a conference championship this weekend.

I think I’m more infatuated with his offensive scheme more than anything for honking him so hard which should be the top of the wish list for UTEP or really any G5 program.

Also, my degenerate ass watched and bet a few weeks on UNLV who was pretty profitable for me this year (last week they shat the bed), so not saying that’s the only reason “he won me some bets” but that offense is legit fun to watch.

I’ll take Eck if push comes to shove.
Idk man, hasn’t been in the FBS for more than a decade, can we trust an FCS lifer to turn around what will be a depleted roster and fan base?

IF he wins the FCS natty then maybe but UTEP can and should do way better than Eck. Good name, probably a good FCS coach but think he’ll get ate up right now trying to build this thing in my opinion.

Idk man, hasn’t been in the FBS for more than a decade, can we trust an FCS lifer to turn around what will be a depleted roster and fan base?

IF he wins the FCS natty then maybe but UTEP can and should do way better than Eck. Good name, probably a good FCS coach but think he’ll get ate up right now trying to build this thing in my opinion.
I hear you. I’m all in on Tony White, but wouldn’t be bummed with Eck.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT