ADVERTISEMENT

Football vacancy

We need the college football version of Jerome Tang and a shit ton of NIL $ plus facility upgrades.
We coulda had Tang, he wanted the Utep job! Golding did seem like a good hire at the time and still may proved to be. It's just taking a little longer than it might've taken Tang I think, then he would've left.

Last edited:
A couple of more notes on my preferences for the hire:
  • For the love of God, no position coaches. We need someone who is an outstanding coordinator or is a successful head coach. While I'm sure that there are position coaches out there that would do a great job, we don't need to take that gamble
  • Some fans want a guy with UTEP and/or El Paso ties. Some say that we shouldn't hire anyone with such ties. For me, having ties to the city and/or university should not factor one way or the other in the decision. If the best guy for the job has lived, played, or coached here, hire him. If the best guy for the job has never been within 200 miles of El Paso, hire him.

After reading the post I'm starting to like Marion/White/Stein/Grimes/Eck in no particular order.
Yeah I tend to agree. I liked Eck since it became apparent Dimel wasn't going to do good this year, but now he's dropped to 3rd or 4th after seeing the other candidates. A name that people keep forgetting is Scotty Walden at Austin Peay. I can say that I know that he's reached out to Utep. I don't know if Utep has mutual interest yet. He's a good young coach with Texas ties that I wouldn't mind either.

The biggest drawback to hiring Marion is that you'll have to listen to Jdubb gloat for the next however many years...or I'm leaving the board.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
Yeah I tend to agree. I liked Eck since it became apparent Dimel wasn't going to do good this year, but now he's dropped to 3rd or 4th after seeing the other candidates. A name that people keep forgetting is Scotty Walden at Austin Peay. I can say that I know that he's reached out to Utep. I don't know if Utep has mutual interest yet. He's a good young coach with Texas ties that I wouldn't mind either.
Scotty Walden would also be an excellent hire. He’s in my top 3.

-Tony White
-Scotty Walden
-Major Applewhite

Marion lacks experience IMO.

White, Stein, Eck. My top three. Just pay whoever over the million-dollar mark. See about getting the NIL started up for football. See if you can come up with some money for decent O and D coordinators. Anyone have thoughts about Mack Leftwich as a hire for offensive coordinator? I know that's the new head coach's choice, but I want to see what the opinions are.

White, Stein, Eck. My top three. Just pay whoever over the million-dollar mark. See about getting the NIL started up for football. See if you can come up with some money for decent O and D coordinators. Anyone have thoughts about Mack Leftwich as a hire for offensive coordinator? I know that's the new head coach's choice, but I want to see what the opinions are.
I would be willing to give Mack a raise to bring him over as OC from Txst. Then once White leaves for a P5 in 3 years, hand him the reigns.

Reactions: nattybry
Their offensive success yes, his starter was ripping things up, got hurt and his freshman backup took over and didn’t allow his head coach to use injuries as an excuse and he is playing for a conference championship this weekend, and this offense was in its first year of operation in Vegas.

Odom brought Marion in to run his own offense and got out of the way on the offensive side and now the last two programs he’s been at are playing this weekend for some hardware. Can’t forget he also had a small hand in developing Quinn Ewers last year at Texas who is also playing for a conference championship this weekend.

I think I’m more infatuated with his offensive scheme more than anything for honking him so hard which should be the top of the wish list for UTEP or really any G5 program.

Also, my degenerate ass watched and bet a few weeks on UNLV who was pretty profitable for me this year (last week they shat the bed), so not saying that’s the only reason “he won me some bets” but that offense is legit fun to watch.

Looking for your announced bets thread:

I like SMU money line over Tulane as my numbers say they will win outright. Secondly, I could have told you to bet San Jose St in that game. They were playing tremendous football.

Looking for your announced bets thread:

I like SMU money line over Tulane as my numbers say they will win outright. Secondly, I could have told you to bet San Jose St in that game. They were playing tremendous football.
You know that SMU lost their starting QB the last game of the season right?

So did Florida State, but it does not mean I will bet against them because just like SMU, Florida State relies on defense and rushing.

Look at the defensive numbers. SMU ranks very high and is very good in the secondary. That goes with a strong pass rush.

Secondly, it is not SMU's passing that they rely on, it is rushing. 3 very strong running backs.

Worse off you take SMU and the points. If Stone had played, SMU would have won by 12 or more.

So did Florida State, but it does not mean I will bet against them because just like SMU, Florida State relies on defense and rushing.

Look at the defensive numbers. SMU ranks very high and is very good in the secondary. That goes with a strong pass rush.

Secondly, it is not SMU's passing that they rely on, it is rushing. 3 very strong running backs.

Worse off you take SMU and the points. If Stone had played, SMU would have won by 12 or more.
Ok maybe I'll bet them then. I backed off after the injury, but I'd rather SMU win and Liberty goes to NY6 Bowl. Only because Utep would benefit financially from it.

Reactions: Rocketsr
Ok maybe I'll bet them then. I backed off after the injury, but I'd rather SMU win and Liberty goes to NY6 Bowl. Only because Utep would benefit financially from it.
Nah- not after that Marachi Celebration in our SunBowl- hope someone got fired over allowing that crap to happen- should have done it on those buses they drove 14000 miles round trip to drive the team from the airport to Sunbowl.

Nah- not after that Marachi Celebration in our SunBowl- hope someone got fired over allowing that crap to happen- should have done it on those buses they drove 14000 miles round trip to drive the team from the airport to Sunbowl.
I thought the mariachi thing was funny. Good Ole football ribbing.

If utep beats liberty next season, utep can hire a evangelical Christian band to celebrate.

Here is how I fear negotiations for head coach are going.

Prospective coach: "I like your facilities and I really think we can turn this team around. How much are you offering for a salary?"
Senter: "600K plus incentives."
Prospective coach: "Great, let me get back to you on that."

Now on twitter is that Senter already has his man and it is no one on the list circulating around.

Local news state Senter is going to bunt and take another safe choice and to kiss off getting a young assistant.

Now on twitter is that Senter already has his man and it is no one on the list circulating around.

Local news state Senter is going to bunt and take another safe choice and to kiss off getting a young assistant.
I feel like Grimes is a forgone conclusion. A typical UTEP hire.

Reactions: FedupMiner
Here is how I fear negotiations for head coach are going.

Prospective coach: "I like your facilities and I really think we can turn this team around. How much are you offering for a salary?"
Senter: "600K plus incentives."
Prospective coach: "Great, let me get back to you on that."
Lol Utep won't be paying $600,000 this time around I'm quite sure.... Pretty sure.... I think am sure..... Naaaa ya don't think do ya 🤔.... Lol Utep better be sniffing or at a million 😤

Reactions: jdubb66
Major Applewhite needs a strong DC on his staff. His Houston teams played crap defense.
Fvck no to Major Applewhite. He coached my son at UH. Two season of him at OC and 1 season plus a couple bowl games with him as head coach. He ran some very boring offenses. His saving grace was Greg Ward and a plethora of really good WRs while an OC and he had Kyle Allen and some good receivers as HC. He still played 3 yards and a cloud of dust ball far too often.

He always reminded me of the Waterboy coach played by Henry Winkler. A big ol pvssy. I can guarantee we don’t want MA. Guarantee it.

There’s a reason he went 0-3 in bowl games and lasted only 2 seasons at UH.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT