ADVERTISEMENT

Football vacancy

There’s no doubt Dimel had success under Snyder at Kansas State. But offenses have evolved a lot since then. He also never recruited a QB here that fit Snyder’s system.

If Marion gets the job, he's got some good backs to work with for his system. He will need a QB.

A few key pieces, IMO.

1. Houston needs to make their selection.
2. UTEP better hope it's not Odom (If they want Marion)
3. UNLV needs to play their MWC champ game/ Idaho needs to lose on Saturday.
4. Fall back is probably Grimes...
5. No to UTEP Minero or Byars, a maybe to Jacob Cooksey... lol

Sheesh, a few folks have wind of some info... Spill the beans, ya jerks! :eek:

Reactions: kickballpro
A few key pieces, IMO.

I think a lot of things get moving after Friday and the weekend like you said. Might be little news til the weekend or Monday.

A few key pieces, IMO.

Why isn't Skip Holtz in the conversation? Why isn't Senter listening to me?

+1 for Holtz. That would be a home run hire.
I'll admit I didn't like the Holtz idea, cause I felt it would be Dimel 2.0. However I did some more digging and found he had a winning record 11 out of his 17 years as an FBS HC. One more year which I think was a Covid year he went 5-5. So all and all he's a winner, with the exception of those 7 seasons. Tell any of us Miner Fans we'd have a winning record 11 of 17 years and another year at .500 and I think we'd all take it in heart beat. He has 5 straight winning seasons at E. Carolina and 6 straight while at La. Tech, he is definitely not Dimel 2.0, that was my bad. He wouldn't be a bad choice at all!

I’ve yet to read someone comment on what they think Dimel will end up doing. Does anyone think he will continue coaching somewhere? Will he retire and live happily ever after in El Paso?

Why isn't Skip Holtz in the conversation? Why isn't Senter listening to me?
Because on here and social media fans do not want Senter to get an older FBS well traveled FBS/Pro former head coach. We had three back to back to back and it went like "a bull in china closet", a mess. Price brought high expectations but ended with frustration.

I get the sense and sensibilities of their mind set; however, as natty stated above, Skip Holtz has the resume, the knowledge, recruiting ties, portal tested (while at La Tech especially for QB's) and knows how to deal with mid major fans and their unrealistic vs. realistic expectations.

If Senter hires Holtz I personally can say I will have my credit/debit card ready for season tickets in the spring and if my quarterly work intake increases in the spring, business sponsorship (numbers are down for my business). Holtz knows how to win with you got and runs an offense that wins games.

Last edited:
I’ve yet to read someone comment on what they think Dimel will end up doing. Does anyone think he will continue coaching somewhere? Will he retire and live happily ever after in El Paso?

i-regret-nothing-dont-care.gif

Well, the video work this year was really good even when the games weren’t. I got to meet the creator a few weeks ago, very nice person.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Locksley was great with his feet, not so much with his arm. He was frail, but part of that was Dimel calling the QB keeper play after play after play ...
The play calling was very weird the first two years because Dimel ran Locksley into the ground big time running those QB runs. And he was a 50% passer who played with worse teammates so I can’t say that he was worse than any other QB we’ve had.

Reactions: FedupMiner
Glad he impressed you, it was a dud from the beginning for me.
I was there at Southwest University Ballpark that day he held that pep rally and announced his plans for our offense. Same day he announced Kai Locksley was joining the squad and CJ Reese was transferring from KState to UTEP. Was an exciting time

Question: Would Miner fans be good with picking Brennan Marion if he brings over that QB Jayden Maiava, recvr Ricky White and some other transfers from UNLV with him?

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
I was there at Southwest University Ballpark that day he held that pep rally and announced his plans for our offense. Same day he announced Kai Locksley was joining the squad and CJ Reese was transferring from KState to UTEP. Was an exciting time
To be fair, you are absolutely correct. There was a lot of excitement around Locksley. He was a 4 star out of HS and received a scholarship to play ball at UT. Naturally, we all thought he'd be serviceable.

That excitement lasted about 2-3 games of watching him play. He had legs and could run. But he injured easily. Especially with that K-State style of play that was designed for a 220+ pound QB. He was as poor of a passer as I've ever seen at UTEP. The party was short lived.

Question: Would Miner fans be good with picking Brennan Marion if he brings over that QB Jayden Maiava, recvr Ricky White and some other transfers from UNLV with him?
Shoot, I'd be happy with a coach that was a gorilla that slings poop into the crowd if he could get us a Bowl win.

Almost every one of my 48 years on this earth UTEP has been a laughing stock in football. I can't take it anymore. It's not fair I tell you!

Shoot, I'd be happy with a coach that was a gorilla that slings poop into the crowd if he could get us a Bowl win.

Almost every one of my 48 years on this earth UTEP has been a laughing stock in football. I can't take it anymore. It's not fair I tell you!
If Marion can come in with some transfers and get us a bowl win and only stays here 2 years I'm done with that.

and UTEP just lost their best WR from this season... No, not Tyrin.

Who's Tyrin? Oh, that WR that thought he was all that and transferred to A&M and then realized he wasn't shit so he came back to UTEP only to quit on the team trying to preserve a Walter Dawn style 13th year of eligibility so that he can transfer to UTRGV. That guy?

I know the new coach hasn’t been hired yet but how long do you think he will be here. 2-3 years before he goes to a P5 or 5-6 years before he’s fired?

I know the new coach hasn’t been hired yet but how long do you think he will be here. 2-3 years before he goes to a P5 or 5-6 years before he’s fired?

With Senter making the hire and Wilson the prez I'm guessing Smallwood would bet the 5-6 years before getting fired. Is there an over/under on this? Would that be the over?

Is it safe to say that UTEP’s next HC still has games left on the schedule?

That’s the only logical explanation as to why Senter hasn’t moved. Doesn’t make sense to do that as other schools don’t give 2 you know what and hire ASAP but UTEP always does things in slow mode.

Is it safe to say that UTEP’s next HC still has games left on the schedule?

That’s the only logical explanation as to why Senter hasn’t moved. Doesn’t make sense to do that as other schools don’t give 2 you know what and hire ASAP but UTEP always does things in slow mode.
👀

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT