ADVERTISEMENT

If we don't have a football season

Not everybody's life is equivalent to yours.

I never said it was, but I don't list OPTIONAL expenses with rent and food.

Having kids is an OPTIONAL expense.

Chihuahuas season tickets is an OPTIONAL expense.

A trip to Cooperstown is an OPTIONAL expense.

No, they are my extended family. An extended family is "a family that extends beyond the nuclear family, including grandparents, aunts, uncles, and other relatives, who all live nearby or in one household".
Thanks for clearing that up.

huh? You don't consider your aunts, uncles, and cousins your extended family?
I do.

I am trying to understand your point. You think people can't live happy lives being independent and living alone?

You think everybody who is living with other people is happy? LOL

Financially speaking, things change when you live with someone and share expenses.

He said: "It all makes perfect sense until you actually have a family."

He also said he wasn't talking about kids. So what was he talking about then?
I'm talking about living and sharing expenses with your partner.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I do.

Financially speaking, things change when you live with someone and share expenses.

I'm talking about living and sharing expenses with your partner.

I showed you the examples. You should save more if you live with somebody.

I think your example is useless until you experience it firsthand.

Who said I haven't experienced it?

Here's an example of somebody who lives within their means making $40k a year (let's just make it easy and say $35k after taxes).

Major Expenses per year:
Rent- 12,000
Food/Gas- 2,500
Health Insurance- 3,500
Total: 18,000

So there is 17k left to pay for property taxes and homeowner's insurance (if you own a home), car payment (if it's not paid off), and investments, etc.

If you can't survive on $35k a year after taxes then you seriously need to cut back on your expenses.

Here's an example of a couple making $80k a year (let's just make it easy and say $65k after taxes).
Major Expenses per year:
Rent- 12,000
Food/Gas- 5,000
Health Insurance- 7,000
Total: 24,000

So there is 41k left to pay for property taxes and homeowner's insurance (if they own a home), car payment (if it's not paid off), and investments, etc.

If a couple can't survive on $65k a year after taxes then you seriously need to cut back on your expenses.

FAMILY pack for 4 tickets UTEP $198

4 tickets South endzone nose bleeds Texas A&M $1360. i didnt see a family pack.

Yes its because we suck. UTEP tickets are extremely cheap. Not even close. If we think $150 is meaningful, then how about $1150?

Thanks for proving my point that each ticket at A&M isn't $1,500.

How do you guys come up with these conclusions?

My only point is those financial examples you gave might apply to your circumstances. That's not what I have encountered in my time living in Austin.

We all have different experiences and expectations in life. If that works for you then more power to you.

Reactions: Dmanminer
Major Expenses per year:
Rent- 12,000
Food/Gas- 5,000
Health Insurance- 7,000
Total: 24,000.

I have a modest 170K home
Principal, interest, and escrow is 1,650

I have a 90/10 insurance plan that is 720 a month. It’s a medium plan. I also contribute 105 a month to my FSA card. Additionally, I pay 160 a month for a life/heart/cancer supplemental insurance plan.

My car payment is 420 a month. Car insurance is 85 a month.

I contribute 100 a month to a deferred compensation plan.

I am already over 30K and I haven’t even touched income tax, utilities, food, or gas.

I have a modest 170K home
Principal, interest, and escrow is 1,650

I have a 90/10 insurance plan that is 720 a month. It’s a medium plan. I also contribute 105 a month to my FSA card. Additionally, I pay 160 a month for a life/heart/cancer supplemental insurance plan.

My car payment is 420 a month. Car insurance is 85 a month.

I contribute 100 a month to a deferred compensation plan.

I am already over 30K and I haven’t even touched income tax, utilities, food, or gas.

I assume you don't have 30 year mortgage?

A 30 year mortgage, at 3.92% interest, for a $170,000 house, is $804 a month.

Nobody said it was. Its the equivalent price for the 4 cheapest tickets at each school (with better seats at UTEP).

You said it:

"$150? Good god, man. Is that all UTEP asks for? If it were UT or A$M or Tech it would be $1500 minimum. What a pathetic amount to be calling about."

"Price of season football tickets I'm sure. Pitiful."

How do you guys come up with these conclusions?

My only point is those financial examples you gave might apply to your circumstances. That's not what I have encountered in my time living in Austin.

We all have different experiences and expectations in life. If that works for you then more power to you.

My conclusion is VERY simple. I showed you basic expenses. Everything else is extra.

Kids are EXTRA expenses.

Vacations are EXTRA expenses.

Hobbies are EXTRA expenses.

Of course we all have difference expectations in life. But those are your CHOICES.

We all have different experiences and expectations in life.

You spend $20 a day for yourself on food. I spend a lot less than that.

You smoke weed. I don't spend money on that.

This is why you think making $40k is low. You just have more expenses than me.

If you lived within your means you would understand where I'm coming from.

A 30 year mortgage, at 3.92% interest, for a $170,000 house, is $804 a month.

Okay, then I’m at 1295 a month for 30 years instead of 1650 for 15.

I’m still at around 30K before income tax, utilities, gas, and food. Not to mention a gym membership or any money for a social life.

I’m still at around 30K before income tax, utilities, gas, and food. Not to mention a gym membership or any money for a social life.

What's your interest rate? It must be very high! At 3.92% your mortgage would be $804 a month.

My conclusion is VERY simple. I showed you basic expenses. Everything else is extra.

Kids are EXTRA expenses.

Vacations are EXTRA expenses.

Hobbies are EXTRA expenses.

Of course we all have difference expectations in life. But those are your CHOICES.

You spend $20 a day for yourself on food. I spend a lot less than that.

You smoke weed. I don't spend money on that.

This is why you think making $40k is low. You just have more expenses than me.

If you lived within your means you would understand where I'm coming from.

None of that was questioned or calculated. I question your rent, food/gas, lack of water, electric, and gas bill. A car payment or at least insurance.

You assume a lot. I didn’t say making 40k is low. I don’t know who you’re confusing me with but it makes your argument weak.

I live within my means. I’m not financially struggling. I can give myself minor luxuries and enjoy good food and entertainment.

Your basic numbers don’t match with mine. And that’s ok. We don’t all have to agree.

Reactions: axingfools1

According to you, you will be paying $297,000 for your house after 15 years. That's $8,466 in interest every year!

What's your interest rate? It must be very high! At 3.92% your mortgage would be $804 a month.

My mortgage interest rate is under 4%. Escrow is high because property taxes and home owners insurance go up every year. Principal, interest, and escrow add up to $1650 for me.

None of that was questioned or calculated. I question your rent, food/gas, lack of water, electric, and gas bill. A car payment or at least insurance.

You assume a lot. I didn’t say making 40k is low. I don’t know who you’re confusing me with but it makes your argument weak.

I live within my means. I’m not financially struggling. I can give myself minor luxuries and enjoy good food and entertainment.

Your basic numbers don’t match with mine. And that’s ok. We don’t all have to agree.

So you think spending $1,000 on rent is low?

You think spending $250 on gas and food low?

$170,000 house for 1 person doesn’t seem like a smart decision to me. Guess space is more valuable to you than saving money.

Dude, seriously, why would you give a crap about how much someone values their space? I live in a nice, big house with my wife. Do we need this much space? No. Do I absolutely love it? Yes. Is it any of your business or should I give a shit what you think about it? No. So why would you give a crap about how much someone values their space?

So you think spending $1,000 on rent is low?

You think spending $250 on gas and food low?
If that’s all someone can afford they should make it work fine.

That’s not what I spend. I wish I could spend more but I have to stay within my budget. I don’t really have an option to spend less. Maybe I could cut back on groceries a bit. But I still need at least $400 a month.

Gasoline is low right now so I’m only using about $150 a month. I would say at least $550-600 a month on gas/food.

There are two things in life I don’t mind paying for. 1.Where I live and 2.What I eat.

Fortunately I have a nice situation where I can afford space and good food.

I know that if I trimmed my food budget to $1 a day and rented a studio in the hood I could save more money but I choose to spend it on myself to live comfortable.

If that’s all someone can afford they should make it work fine.

That’s not what I spend. I wish I could spend more but I have to stay within my budget. I don’t really have an option to spend less. Maybe I could cut back on groceries a bit. But I still need at least $400 a month.

Gasoline is low right now so I’m only using about $150 a month. I would say at least $550-600 a month on gas/food.

There are two things in life I don’t mind paying for. 1.Where I live and 2.What I eat.

Fortunately I have a nice situation where I can afford space and good food.

I know that if I trimmed my food budget to $1 a day and rented a studio in the hood I could save more money but I choose to spend it on myself to live comfortable.

You're not getting it.

I CAN AFFORD to pay more for food and rent.

But I CHOOSE to spend less. It's called LIVING WITHIN YOUR MEANS.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT