ADVERTISEMENT

NMSU, Liberty, and two FCS to CUSA

I had mentioned I'd love to see Montana and Montana St., but it won't happen. CUSA gave UTEP NMSU and that's it. Rest of the teams will be current FCS teams from Texas, Louisiana, NC probably like Tarleton St., SFA, Mc Neese St., NC A&T or something like that.
I doubt they would expand more west. That’s why I BELIEVE UTEP should be in a western league and not with teams from Virginia and Florida.

I doubt they would expand more west. That’s why I BELIEVE UTEP should be in a western league and not with teams from Virginia and Florida.
At this point beggars can't be choosers. Hopefully we can establish a winning tradition in this new conference with the momentum we have going now and ideally next year. If we can increase attendance figures and win a bowl game or two, it might lead to a MWC invite.

The conference is going to be wide open, even if UConn or UMass get involved in football only.

At the very least with the excitement of Joe Golding and now NMSU, Liberty, La Tech still pretty good in basketball and possibly a decent Sam Houston, should be a pretty competitive basketball league. With less teams UTEP should have a better chance of getting bid as well. Liberty is the Gem of this news minus there other issues I think.

At the very least with the excitement of Joe Golding and now NMSU, Liberty, La Tech still pretty good in basketball and possibly a decent Sam Houston, should be a pretty competitive basketball league. With less teams UTEP should have a better chance of getting bid as well. Liberty is the Gem of this news minus there other issues I think.
I like your optimism

Surprised at how many seem disappointed about the most recent projections. It was not gonna be good for us no matter what. At least we have a home in the ranks of FBS football, or so it appears.

Time to put all our effort into becoming the prettiest pig in the pen so that when realignment goes down again, or the MWC wants to expand, we give ourselves the best chance we can to get the call. With this lineup of schools, it shouldn’t be all that difficult. Then again, we are UTEP.

You also had UMass for all sports, Villanova, Navy, and Hawaii. NAU and Idaho aren’t joining this. NMSU and UTEP are the most west it’s gonna get.
I meant to say Army and I said Nova or any CAA team that wants to move up.i think it should be a 16/14 team league. A East and West division. Hey if Nova might join if Uconn does

Surprised at how many seem disappointed about the most recent projections. It was not gonna be good for us no matter what. At least we have a home in the ranks of FBS football, or so it appears.

Time to put all our effort into becoming the prettiest pig in the pen so that when realignment goes down again, or the MWC wants to expand, we give ourselves the best chance we can to get the call. With this lineup of schools, it shouldn’t be all that difficult. Then again, we are UTEP.
You know your football well. Who do you think would win if SHSU played UTEP on Saturday?

Imagine someone telling you after the 2004 Houston Bowl, that in less than 20 years, UTEP would be conference mates with Liberty, Sam Houston St, FIU, and Jacksonville St. What would your reaction have been?

• Sad
Reactions: FarWestTexas
The other thread is pretty unwieldy at this point. Not for sure but huge news leaking.

Liberty is the pretty mistress with baggage. Been around the block.

6006e34ea37a0.image.jpg

Reactions: utep2step
Imagine someone telling you after the 2004 Houston Bowl, that in less than 20 years, UTEP would be conference mates with Liberty, Sam Houston St, FIU, and Jacksonville St. What would your reaction have been?
Disbelief. But considering how things have unfolded over the last two weeks, it isn’t as bad as I imagined it could be.

Hot is hot. Cold is cold. It is what it is.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
If CUSA really managed to persuade Liberty, maybe that's enough to give them something to think about.

If not that, then not having to pay their exit fees, losing out on said fees from the other departing members, and paying entrance fees to the MAC, should be enough for them to reconsider.

Reactions: nattybry
Disbelief. But considering how things have unfolded over the last two weeks, it isn’t as bad as I imagined it could be.

Hot is hot. Cold is cold. It is what it is.
I hear you. How could it be worse though? Any Miner fan who is “excited” about this potential setup is full of shit.

I hear you. How could it be worse though? Any Miner fan who is “excited” about this potential setup is full of shit.
I disagree. It’s a matter of perspective. People don’t always look at things the same way.

How could it be worse? I don’t want to go round and round about it because I know you have your own opinions on the matter, however to answer your question, it could be worse in that we could be without an FBS conference, which would force our hand to go independent, or drop to FCS. That would be worse in my opinion.

With that said, I’m not excited about it, I’m ok with it. It’s not worst case scenario as far as I’m concerned.

I disagree. It’s a matter of perspective. People don’t always look at things the same way.

How could it be worse? I don’t want to go round and round about it because I know you have your own opinions on the matter, however to answer your question, it could be worse in that we could be without an FBS conference, which would force our hand to go independent, or drop to FCS. That would be worse in my opinion.

With that said, I’m not excited about it, I’m ok with it. It’s not worst case scenario as far as I’m concerned.
it obviously isn’t the preferred outcome, but it’s far from the worst. UTEP will stay D1, have a travel partner in NMSU, and feast on those sweet exit fees. should be enough to springboard the program to where it wants to be (assuming there is more athletic success) and we should be good candidates for the next round of alignment. Sender and Wilson need to steal a page from UNT’s book and hire some consultants to figure out how to best put themselves in that position.

I would be more “ok with it” without Liberty and FIU. I just think Liberty is going to dominate and FIU just ****ing sucks.

If they have an invite to the MAC and they stay for this, everyone in power at those schools should be fired immediately.
Paying exit fees, and not benefiting from exit fees from outgoing members, for the privilege of joining the MAC or the Sun Belt should definitely be a consideration.

Reactions: nattybry
FIU is a few good hires away from waking up. They'll have the second best budget in the conference. How laughable that you don't want shitty programs but also don't want programs that will dominate.

Very hard man to please.

FIU is a few good hires away from waking up. They'll have the second best budget in the conference. How laughable that you don't want shitty programs but also don't want programs that will dominate.

Very hard man to please.
FIU is lucky to draw flies to a shit festival. Nobody in Miami cares about them. Give me a rural POS town school like Jax St over FIU any day.

Liberty is also in Virginia and yeah I have made it very clear schools in Texas don’t belong in the same conference as schools in Virginia. Yeah, I would rather have UTEP win football and basketball games and not lose to super rich Liberty every year. Glad to know you’re looking out for Liberty and their success.

FIU is lucky to draw flies to a shit festival. Nobody in Miami cares about them. Give me a rural POS town school like Jax St over FIU any day.

Liberty is also in Virginia and yeah I have made it very clear schools in Texas don’t belong in the same conference as schools in Virginia. Yeah, I would rather have UTEP win football and basketball games and not lose to super rich Liberty every year. Glad to know you’re looking out for Liberty and their success.
Only losers care about another schools attendance. Is that your line?

Such is life. The SB will have teams from Texas to Virginia. Maybe if UTEP had a better product we would be in the MW, but that's hard to achieve when fans want to pay $5 for a ticket and have $1 hot dogs..

NMSU has beat Liberty, ULM who we trashed last season beat ULM. Why can't UTEP do it?

Glad to know you're looking out for WKU and their success...

Only losers care about another schools attendance. Is that your line?

Such is life. The SB will have teams from Texas to Virginia. Maybe if UTEP had a better product we would be in the MW, but that's hard to achieve when fans want to pay $5 for a ticket and have $1 hot dogs..

NMSU has beat Liberty, ULM who we trashed last season beat ULM. Why can't UTEP do it?

Glad to know you're looking out for WKU and their success...
I don’t “care” about their attendance. Just stating facts. I’d rather see semi full stands when UTEP plays there, than 10 people and the band.

The SB will have 14 teams and 2 Divisions - anddddddd San Marcos is a lot closer to Louisiana than El Paso is. Texas St won’t be traveling to Virginia every year, and surely their basketball and volleyball teams won’t.

Anything is possible, but Liberty will probably beat UTEP more often than not.

How am I looking out for WKU? I didn’t even mention them in my response to you.

I don’t “care” about their attendance. Just stating facts. I’d rather see semi full stands when UTEP plays there, than 10 people and the band.

The SB will have 14 teams and 2 Divisions - anddddddd San Marcos is a lot closer to Louisiana than El Paso is. Texas St won’t be traveling to Virginia every year, and surely their basketball and volleyball teams won’t.

Anything is possible, but Liberty will probably beat UTEP more often than not.

How am I looking out for WKU? I didn’t even mention them in my response to you.
The fact is this our life at the bottom of the barrel FBS conference. We were with teams that had semi full stands and y'all complained about them too.

I could care less what Texas St does.

Yeah as history has shown us any team we're in conference with will beat us more often than not.

You mentioned on this thread how WKU's leadership should be fired if they turn down the MAC to stay in CUSA. I don't think they will but who gives a fuc*? Why are you so worried about their success?

I was giving an opinion. Do you think it’s a good idea to turn down a MAC invite to stay in CUSA?
interesting question and idea, but with how little the MAC grows/tried to grow over the past two decades, it might be worth it to gamble on whatever CUSA does. could go broke, but they could also make a profit and grow if they play their cards right. I’ll take the gamble over complacency

I would be more “ok with it” without Liberty and FIU. I just think Liberty is going to dominate and FIU just ****ing sucks.
So.... FIU was unfortunately in CUSA before we lost teams, so what's the difference from then and now. I'd say if W. Kentucky and M. Tennessee stay, we get money from the departing teams, gain Liberty and NMSU, reduce the amount of mouths to feed and get a new TV deal signed next year. Then we probably are better off than we were before CUSA got Blown Up! However W. Kentucky/M. Tennessee probably leave for a more sure thing, but maybe not we'll know when we know.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT