ADVERTISEMENT

NMSU, Liberty, and two FCS to CUSA

You let one school not pay and then the others wont want to pay. Then if nobody pays then it's not a conference anymore . NMSU needs to pay up stop acting cheap. Everyone pays no freebies.
I agree, the problem is their AD confirmed they shook down most of their donors earlier this year to keep Jans. I think it will be a situation where either NMSU makes a payment plan, or hopefully (and what would be the smart decision) CUSA asks the schools to use the entrance fee to improve their own facilities. 2m would go a long way in bringing teams up to par.

And yea, what I have been hearing is that the MAC didn’t even necessarily want WKU or MTSU, they’re just expecting at least one of the current MAC members to drop sports completely. The current bet is Akron since they slashed 23% of their athletic budget and have cut some sports. Eastern Michigan is the other one that’s believed to be struggling. Couple that with the MAC priding itself on having member schools close enough to take a bus, and MTSU seems tenuous.

As I recall, back when UTEP joined C-USA, they didn’t pay their entrance fee all at once. It was spread out over a period of time. Most likely deducted from their TV revenue.

Reactions: jdubb66
I agree, the problem is their AD confirmed they shook down most of their donors earlier this year to keep Jans. I think it will be a situation where either NMSU makes a payment plan, or hopefully (and what would be the smart decision) CUSA asks the schools to use the entrance fee to improve their own facilities. 2m would go a long way in bringing teams up to par.

And yea, what I have been hearing is that the MAC didn’t even necessarily want WKU or MTSU, they’re just expecting at least one of the current MAC members to drop sports completely. The current bet is Akron since they slashed 23% of their athletic budget and have cut some sports. Eastern Michigan is the other one that’s believed to be struggling. Couple that with the MAC priding itself on having member schools close enough to take a bus, and MTSU seems tenuous.

What is NMSU doing with all those big money road games??

Funny how people talk about the “15,000 attendance rule” but are okay with admitting SHSU who is lucky to get 8,000 in a 14,000 seat stadium. I guess we’ll just let all standards go so we can be the conference people schedule for homecoming games.
As a retired SHSU faculty member and season ticket holder, this is (unfortunately) true. Also, SHSU's current athletic budget is lower than the lowest current CUSA team (La Tech, I think). Last year, the university asked students to vote on a $3/credit hour increase to help the athletic department. It amazed almost no one that the students voted it down. If the rumors are true that SHSU is moving towards FBS status (which I really don't want), then I'm guessing the Sam Houston Press is printing c-notes as we speak.

lieb

As a retired SHSU faculty member and season ticket holder, this is (unfortunately) true. Also, SHSU's current athletic budget is lower than the lowest current CUSA team (La Tech, I think). Last year, the university asked students to vote on a $3/credit hour increase to help the athletic department. It amazed almost no one that the students voted it down. If the rumors are true that SHSU is moving towards FBS status (which I really don't want), then I'm guessing the Sam Houston Press is printing c-notes as we speak.

lieb
Why don’t you want FBS?

Why don’t you want FBS?
Since I've been at SHSU, they've been to the NC in football three times and won last year. There is way more excitement being in a legitimate football playoff than playing for a mid to lower tier bowl game. I'd rather see Sam playing top-ten FCS teams than what will be in CUSA. (That said, SHSU is opening next year with Texas A&M.) The only plus is they'd play UTEP (got my BS, MS from UTEP).

That's it. That's the main reason. SHSU's basketball team is decent in D1 and its baseball team has made the D1 playoffs a few times in the past 10 years or so.

A secondary reason is money. A few years ago, someone said they'd give SHSU land in the northern Houston suburbs provided they used it to build a medical school. The medical school now exists, but seems to have siphoned off a great deal of the school's budget. I worry that a move up to FBS will do the same. I used to be a department chair and I know Sam has plenty of rich alums, but I don't know how much they can help.

Hope this helps. If you have other questions, let me know.

lieb

Since I've been at SHSU, they've been to the NC in football three times and won last year. There is way more excitement being in a legitimate football playoff than playing for a mid to lower tier bowl game. I'd rather see Sam playing top-ten FCS teams than what will be in CUSA. (That said, SHSU is opening next year with Texas A&M.) The only plus is they'd play UTEP (got my BS, MS from UTEP).

That's it. That's the main reason. SHSU's basketball team is decent in D1 and its baseball team has made the D1 playoffs a few times in the past 10 years or so.

A secondary reason is money. A few years ago, someone said they'd give SHSU land in the northern Houston suburbs provided they used it to build a medical school. The medical school now exists, but seems to have siphoned off a great deal of the school's budget. I worry that a move up to FBS will do the same. I used to be a department chair and I know Sam has plenty of rich alums, but I don't know how much they can help.

Hope this helps. If you have other questions, let me know.

lieb
Thanks for the input, as I am genuinely curious. I am in the way of thinking that not every school should be in FBS or want to be in FBS. I don’t believe every fan of those schools want that either, for the reasons you stated.

There’s a big difference between FBS with UTEP and NMSU and FBS with UT and Houston. Sam Houston will never be equal to Texas or Houston. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional. Is going to the New Orleans Bowl every few years worth the extra travel costs for your other sports? Does SHSU have a large alumni base in Virginia? Lol

Very quiet today. Hopefully that means all parties were agreeing on terms today. What my wishful thinking side would say is that the rumored school's agree to move forward. MAC and whichever team that still had second thoughts backs out of that expansion agreement and we keep W. Kentucky and M. Tennessee. Super wishful thinking would be then we have 9 for football and basketball and add Army for football only! That is extremely hopeful I know! So more realistically I'd say Kennesaw St or Missouri St. gets talked back into it. The realist in me says we do in fact lose W. Kentucky/M.Tennesse and sign UMASS/UCONN for football only and one more FCS School and UTA/UALR for basketball and other sports. That will be a weird and unbalanced conference even more than before, CUSA may have no other route at the time being.

Reactions: JCorona
Very quiet today. Hopefully that means all parties were agreeing on terms today. What my wishful thinking side would say is that the rumored school's agree to move forward. MAC and whichever team that still had second thoughts backs out of that expansion agreement and we keep W. Kentucky and M. Tennessee. Super wishful thinking would be then we have 9 for football and basketball and add Army for football only! That is extremely hopeful I know! So more realistically I'd say Kennesaw St or Missouri St. gets talked back into it. The realist in me says we do in fact lose W. Kentucky/M.Tennesse and sign UMASS/UCONN for football only and one more FCS School and UTA/UALR for basketball and other sports. That will be a weird and unbalanced conference even more than before, CUSA may have no other route at the time being.
The quieter it is the more I think WKU/MTSU stay.

Reactions: SAMINERGIRL
This could be why it’s been so quiet.

It's definitely a package deal so if one of the two teams has doubts, or not all the MAC presidents don't agree it's a good move right now it won't happen at least at the moment. "If it don't make dollars it don't make sense" I'm speaking of the MAC in this instance. Nashville is a good market, but I'm not sure how visible M. Tennessee is in that market. As far as W. Kentucky they are a consistent football and basketball program, but really are in this, because they're M. Tennesse's travel buddy. All up to MAC probably. I think we here news on both sides tomorrow.

Thanks for the input, as I am genuinely curious. I am in the way of thinking that not every school should be in FBS or want to be in FBS. I don’t believe every fan of those schools want that either, for the reasons you stated.

There’s a big difference between FBS with UTEP and NMSU and FBS with UT and Houston. Sam Houston will never be equal to Texas or Houston. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional. Is going to the New Orleans Bowl every few years worth the extra travel costs for your other sports? Does SHSU have a large alumni base in Virginia? Lol
Extra travel costs for other sports? You think it's cheaper for then to go to Seattle, Calif, Utah from east Texas?

Extra travel costs for other sports? You think it's cheaper for then to go to Seattle, Calif, Utah from east Texas?
SHSU is making a trip to Seattle and Cal Baptist this year. Next year, they won’t make that trip. They don’t make a trip to Utah this year, but will next year. When they join CUSA, they will be making trips to Virginia and Miami, every year for every sport. The WAC has divisions, CUSA won’t.

SHSU is making a trip to Seattle and Cal Baptist this year. Next year, they won’t make that trip. They don’t make a trip to Utah this year, but will next year. When they join CUSA, they will be making trips to Virginia and Miami, every year for every sport. The WAC has divisions, CUSA won’t.

And how do you know that CUSA won't have divisions?

And how do you know that CUSA won't have divisions?
I don’t know for sure, but they’re either going to have 7 or 9 teams. Would need 3 or 5 more. I am not sure they’re going to go those for the 2023 season. Can’t have divisions with 8 teams. Have to play everyone twice to get 14 basketball games.

Does it really matter? They know what they're getting themselves into and agreeing to it. I've explained so many times that the playoffs money will make up for it. SHSU is getting paid 500k for their game at A&M. No FBS team would play for that little amount. UTSA will average 1.7 million for every game they play up the road at Austin. It costs more to be FBS but you also get paid for it.

Reactions: EMA884

lieb
Well well, Lieb does still lurk on the forums from time to time :)

Nashville is a good market, but I'm not sure how visible M. Tennessee is in that market.
They don't. UTEP has a bigger foot print in San Antonio, Houston and DFW area than MTSU does anywhere in Tennessee for that matter. If they say they do, they're lying. Don't get me wrong, I wish they would stay in CUSA but I don't blame them for jumping ship.

Remember that great run they had in basketball with their pg Giddy Potts and success in football with QB Stockstill? I bet they would have been invited to the AAC and UNT or Rice left behind.

They don't. UTEP has a bigger foot print in San Antonio, Houston and DFW area than MTSU does anywhere in Tennessee for that matter. If they say they do, they're lying. Don't get me wrong, I wish they would stay in CUSA but I don't blame them for jumping ship.

Remember that great run they had in basketball with their pg Giddy Potts and success in football with QB Stockstill? I bet they would have been invited to the AAC and UNT or Rice left behind.
That's ridiculous. They have a bigger footprint in Nashville than UTEP has in any city outside El Paso. Tennessee will always be a Vol state. I'm in Nashville every month for business. You can listen to MTSU games on fm radio in Nashville as well as their coaches shows. There are mtsu billboards in the city. There are alot of businesses that display mtsu posters and stickers. You can buy mtsu merchandise in Nashville. Nowhere outside El Paso can you listen to the Miners on the radio. We don't have bill boards in those cities and you certainly can't buy merchandise.

Tennessee is always going to dominate the Nashville market, MTSU will always have a niche. They have a ton of grads in Nashville.

That's ridiculous. They have a bigger footprint in Nashville than UTEP has in any city outside El Paso. Tennessee will always be a Vol state. I'm in Nashville every month for business. You can listen to MTSU games on fm radio in Nashville as well as their coaches shows. There are mtsu billboards in the city. There are alot of businesses that display mtsu posters and stickers. You can buy mtsu merchandise in Nashville. Nowhere outside El Paso can you listen to the Miners on the radio. We don't have bill boards in those cities and you certainly can't buy merchandise.

Tennessee is always going to dominate the Nashville market, MTSU will always have a niche. They have a ton of grads in Nashville.
I wasn't sure, I've only once and didn't notice much, but maybe I just wasn't looking. I'd wager to say Middle Tennessee would be behind Vanderbilt who's in Nashville and Tennessee even though it's in Knoxville.

All true, lots of their grads in Cincinnati and met a few in Dallas as well as well.
You can listen to miner games outside of ELP by either the UTEP miners app (which is new and NOT publicized enough) or just going on 600 espn’s website and clicking listen live.

Last edited:
I wasn't sure, I've only once and didn't notice much, but maybe I just wasn't looking. I'd wager to say Middle Tennessee would be behind Vanderbilt who's in Nashville and Tennessee even though it's in Knoxville.
They're behind Vandy but they're visible.

I hate to sound like NoWins but then why in gawds name would they not be invited to the AAC since AAC expanded based on markets? There are Texas Tech grads in El Paso, and chrome stickers, and a medical school but it doesn’t amount to a hill of beans. MTSU grads have to leave for the big city for jobs just like UTEP engineers do.

I hate to sound like NoWins but then why in gawds name would they not be invited to the AAC since AAC expanded based on markets? There are Texas Tech grads in El Paso, and chrome stickers, and a medical school but it doesn’t amount to a hill of beans. MTSU grads have to leave for the big city for jobs just like UTEP engineers do.
Murfreesboro is part of the Nashville metro area. Alot of their grads don't move anywhere.

I think a big reason MTSU didn't make the cut was lack of investment in facilities, specifically their football facilities.

Reactions: nattybry
Murfreesboro is part of the Nashville metro area. Alot of their grads don't move anywhere.

I think a big reason MTSU didn't make the cut was lack of investment in facilities, specifically their football facilities.
I realize that. I've been to the area.

But this is the Nashville market. Everyone wants to live in Nashville (and Austin) in this point in history.

But as I said before, timing is everything in FBS participant sports. If the Texas/OU move to SEC had occurred (two years prior to Covid) when Stockstill' son was under center and MTSU was making that nice NCAA run, Rice, UNT or UTSA would be crying in their glass of bourbon and not MTSU.

But MTSU is moving on so who cares? Their facilities do suck so I agree with you on that.

I hear Nashville is very nice, but does it match Austin's Soccer Culture?
Next year they will open the best soccer specific stadium in the United States. I don't love the location in the fairgrounds, but its a spectacular stadium. It will set the new bar for soccer stadiums in the US.

I hear Nashville is very nice, but does it match Austin's Soccer Culture?
They're ok. They have good support but it could be better considering how good their team is. They're moving to the west conference next season.

Crazy thing is it may be the best NHL city in the country. They love the Preds. The Preds are a much bigger deal than the Titans.
TV ratings and common sense suggest other wise.

“ That means 49,604 Nashville households tuned into Bally Sports South and CNBC to see Carolina claim a 5-2 win in the first game of the best-of-seven series, which was played in Raleigh, North Carolina.

That rating is about twice as a high as an average Predators regular-season game.”

“ Sunday's game broadcast on WTVF-5 was 32% higher than the 2020 opener against Denver, which was played on a Monday and earned a 19.1 rating.

It means 277,780 Nashville households watched the Titans lose to Arizona 38-13.

The average rating for the Titans' season openers over the last five years is 21.6.”

No NHL team is more popular or a bigger deal than any NFL team. Ridiculous to type something so ludicrous. This isn’t Canada.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT