ADVERTISEMENT

NMSU, Liberty, and two FCS to CUSA

The move to Conference USA will cost New Mexico State $1.5 million to be paid over a six-year period. https://www.lcsun-news.com/story/sp...cost-new-mexico-state-1-5-million/6306051001/

It will mostly pay itself through the college football distribution money. The article says it will be at least one million but I expect it to be more. In 2020 CUSA received 17 million divided by 14 schools equals over 1.2 million per school. If in 2023 we're receiving similar amounts divided by 8 or 9 schools then we're looking at close to 2 million per school. If the playoffs expand and each conference receives increased revenue sharing then we could be looking at maybe close to 3 million per team.

Their AD confirms something most of us already knew and why UTEP would have been stupid to go Independent.

"As an independent, putting a schedule together is not the easiest thing at New Mexico State."

Another interesting fact mentioned is that UTEP will have the second highest basketball budget in the conference. Looking forward to competing with Liberty and NMSU for the autobid.

Reactions: FedupMiner

Curious to see what NoWins has to say about this
Just AD speak. I believe he “tried” to get UTEP out of CUSA, but had about as much chance as Keitha Adams had at winning a Hawaiian Tropic swimsuit contest. Most of what ADs say is positive and nice. He’s not going to talk shit about NMSU or CUSA. His career at a FBS school is done. He won’t be hired after today’s news at any self respecting school.

Just AD speak. I believe he “tried” to get UTEP out of CUSA, but had about as much chance as Keitha Adams had at winning a Hawaiian Tropic swimsuit contest. Most of what ADs say is positive and nice. He’s not going to talk shit about NMSU or CUSA. His career at a FBS school is done. He won’t be hired after today’s news at any self respecting school.
I was referring to the tweet from the person that runs the Twitter account of this site not the AD.

That was a tweet from person that run the Twitter account of this site not the AD. You've lost a step
Oh. I thought you wanted a comment on Senter’s words, not some random account.

Not sure if “MinerManiac” is being serious or not. I do not follow their tweets to know or not.

I would prefer “a chance of NoWins winning a chess match against a Russian Chess Master.”

Watching Utah just throttle the living daylights out of Stanford and it’s just halftime.

Last time I saw Utah live I was on the sidelines watching them against UTEP during the McBride WAC days.

UTEP has got to stop being left behind.

Reactions: utep-piggy
His career at a FBS school is done. He won’t be hired after today’s news at any self respecting school.
I agree 100%. No self respecting FBS program will hire him after he was caught this out of position and flat footed. We got bailed out by having some FCS schools wanting to move up, otherwise this could have been really, really bad.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Interesting quote from SHSU’s president, Alisa White and why they decided to join CUSA instead of the WAC’s ten year plan:

“The likelihood of us being able to do what we wanted to do in the WAC, because of all the shifts and that things may solidify for a while and not allow us to move forward together, seemed to be limiting our future”

Reading between the lines, there seems to be something coming down the pipeline to stop or severely limit the FCS->FBS transitions. It sounds like there are going to be a few more members joining CUSA from FCS, whether they’re ready or not.

I agree 100%. No self respecting FBS program will hire him after he was caught this out of position and flat footed. We got bailed out by having some FCS schools wanting to move up, otherwise this could have been really, really bad.
Welcome to digs! Just my opinion but to avoid embarrassment it’s good to follow the “Jim Rome” rule: “Give it 2 weeks” to get a feel for the cats on here. We have professors, business owners, engineers all the way to mom & dad’s basement key board warriors who have never touched sporting equipment, if you get my drift? If, IF UTEP wins tonight this site is going to probably get hot. If UTEP loses, it’s still going to get hot……and nasty. Come by during the weekday when the regulars are here, sober and more calm.

Welcome to digs! Just my opinion but to avoid embarrassment it’s good to follow the “Jim Rome” rule: “Give it 2 weeks” to get a feel for the cats on here. We have professors, business owners, engineers all the way to mom & dad’s basement key board warriors who have never touched sporting equipment, if you get my drift? If, IF UTEP wins tonight this site is going to probably get hot. If UTEP loses, it’s still going to get hot……and nasty. Come by during the weekday when the regulars are here, sober and more calm.
Thanks for the warning, but this is a new account, I’m not a new member.

• Wow
Reactions: FarWestTexas
Interesting quote from SHSU’s president, Alisa White and why they decided to join CUSA instead of the WAC’s ten year plan:

“The likelihood of us being able to do what we wanted to do in the WAC, because of all the shifts and that things may solidify for a while and not allow us to move forward together, seemed to be limiting our future”

Reading between the lines, there seems to be something coming down the pipeline to stop or severely limit the FCS->FBS transitions. It sounds like there are going to be a few more members joining CUSA from FCS, whether they’re ready or not.
Basically saying there's no guarantee the WAC would be able to turn into an FBS conference. Even if they did there's no guarantee the WAC would receive the playoff distribution money. That's why I kept explaining that any FCS school that wanted to be FBS would jump to CUSA. Regardless if they had payed exit fees to Southland, entrance fees to WAC and now exit fees to WAC and entrance fees to CUSA.

Reactions: minerfan_14

Imagine your conference affiliation being determined by what your biggest rival decides. That would be one way for MTSU to stick it to WKU.

Imagine your conference affiliation being determined by what your biggest rival decides. That would be one way for MTSU to stick it to WKU.
Haha just as I figured MAC only wants Nashville Market and W. Kentucky is just the little brother that Mom is making the Big Brother take with them! Hopefully Big Brother decides they'd rather not even go to the party!

If this is true CUSA will go 10 I think
This as good as we could've hoped for. Bring in UMASS as football only have nine conference games and only have to schedule three non-conference games. If we end up only having two fcs call ups that'll be great.

Reactions: Lil_Train
So you think if M. Tennessee/W. Kentucky stay, Mizzou St. will reconsider?
That's what makes going to 10 so difficult. There's really not a school that gives us a nice east/west split besides them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT