ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP FB and Chihuahua's schedule clash

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
I noticed on UTEP's website that they are promoting this Friday's spring game finale with free hot dogs and fun stuff for kids, etc. but the Chihuahua's are also schedule to host Reno on Friday evening. UTEP's spring game will lose out to the Chihuahua's I would imagine.

I also noticed that UTEP's home FB opener on Sept 3rd clashes again with the last home game for the Chihuahua's. That will not help UTEP's attendance that night either. The 2 organizations need to get their heads together to maximize opportunities for the fans and the teams.

I noticed on UTEP's website that they are promoting this Friday's spring game finale with free hot dogs and fun stuff for kids, etc. but the Chihuahua's are also schedule to host Reno on Friday evening. UTEP's spring game will lose out to the Chihuahua's I would imagine.

I also noticed that UTEP's home FB opener on Sept 3rd clashes again with the last home game for the Chihuahua's. That will not help UTEP's attendance that night either. The 2 organizations need to get their heads together to maximize opportunities for the fans and the teams.
I totally agree. I've often wondered why UTEP (and other organizations) never seem to be aware of competing events that will draw some fans away. I know that in a few cases TV dictates when and at what time a game is played, but there have been other instances where the Miners were playing games in competition with other local events. Not good planning in a town where the fan base is somewhat limited. Until recent years UTEP was the only game in town, but that is not as true anymore. A "heads up" to Bob Stull, etc.?

UTEP has coexisted with Minor league baseball for 50+ years. The spring game is being marketed heavily to the students, especially the 1200 who live on campus. This is smart student turnout has been embarrasing in football and basketball for the past five years. Im glad they're actively marketing to the student. Thats the future donor base and season ticket base.

The first game against nmsu will draw 35,000 regardless of the chihuahuas. Its a holiday weekend a lot of out of town alumns will make the trip. With NMSU's future in jeopardy i expect a pretty decent aggie contingent (5000).

The Chihuahuas game against the Albuquerque Isotopes is scheduled to be played at 7:05 p.m. MT, more likely to go head-to-head with NMSU @ UTEP (game time listed as TBA. Would Miner fans be willing to have the game at 1:30 p.m.MT?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT