ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP is a 27 point dog vs Boise St and Boise St prediction

That's exactly why UTEP needs to focus on 15-20k fans that are working professionals and don't sweat paying an extra $4 for a ticket.

Once again proving my point that the Sun Bowl is too big. People see empty seats and expect them to be free since they're unsold anyways.
And working professionals are going to buy season tickets to the worst FBS program in the country, just cause?

They most likely graduated from UTEP and UTEP is their home team.
Not if they stayed home and watched USC and Notre Dame games instead. Because their “cheap” dad didn’t want to pay $4 extra for each and every ticket for the rest of the family.

Not if they stayed home and watched USC and Notre Dame games instead. Because their “cheap” dad didn’t want to pay $4 extra for each and every ticket for the rest of the family.
Those are the same kids that will grow up, graduate from UTEP, move to a bigger city and have no problems taking their families to sporting events where tickets cost 100-300 a ticket.

Point blank is cheap tickets won't get UTEP anywhere.

Those are the same kids that will grow up, graduate from UTEP, move to a bigger city and have no problems taking their families to sporting events where tickets cost 100-300 a ticket.

Point blank is cheap tickets won't get UTEP anywhere.
Tickets that cost 100-300 don’t feature UTEP vs Old Dominion though. They feature teams that are actually good and can sell 70,000 tickets.

I remember reading the same figure for the new capacity. It still looks huge when there's 30k+ empty seats on game days. Do you think any crowd this year will be over 20k?
You bring up some fair points. Personally I don’t know how much lower UTEP can go with their tickets because like you said they have some of the lowest prices around. Problem is they suck, so you can’t give the tickets away if you wanted. It’s this awful cycle .

If UTEP is pushing for bowl eligibility AND Deion Hankins can stay healthy and give people a local boy to root maybe they can push 20k for a home finale.

Reactions: JCorona
I think the same amount of people will show up whether tickets cost $8 $10 or $14.

I liked the idea of $5 and free tickets to FCS games.

For all other FBS games I don't believe a few dollars in price keeps people away. It's either they want to go or they don't.
For these FCS games, they should do $5 and $10 tickets, market it as a “giving back to El Paso” night. Give free tickets to schools and law enforcement. People will spend money on concessions. UTEP sadly doesn’t have a bunch of creativity… whatever happened to the committee? Plus that intro, was really shitty, what happened to the mine shaft? Fireworks?

For these FCS games, they do $5 and $10 tickets, market it as a “giving back to El Paso” night. Give free tickets to schools and law enforcement. People will spend money on concessions. UTEP sadly doesn’t have a bunch of creativity… whatever happened to the committee? Plus that intro, was really shitty, what happened to the mine shaft? Fireworks?
Naw, need to have the same ticket prices as schools in wealthier cities. UTEP makes more money with an empty seat rather than selling it for $5……

Again, all of you that are arguing for higher tickets have lost the main problem.
There is no demand for UTEP tickets. There won’t be until we win AND it becomes the “in” thing to do with the Utep students.
That's not what I'm arguing at all. My point is we already have the cheapest tickets in the country and I highly doubt any cheaper tickets will attract any more people. The fans have made up their mind. It doesn't matter if they cost $5 $10 or $20. You're either coming or you're not.

Reactions: FedupMiner
Exactly no demand. But if Senter keeps raising prices we will lose the few that are showing up. I personally can’t afford to go if they raise the tickets past 20 dollars.
Not a cheap ass just don’t have the money.
That’s one reason we became regulars at the Women’s basketball and attended some volleyball games. Now they are raising the tickets also. Probably wontbe going as often.

I remember reading the same figure for the new capacity. It still looks huge when there's 30k+ empty seats on game days. Do you think any crowd this year will be over 20k?
I do think, maybe its really hope, that if UTEP plays well at Boise St and doesn't get blasted, they can draw over 20k for UNM.

Is the the OPT now? If so:

UTEP: 13
Boise State: 51

Maybe if our running backs can keep our offense on the field a little bit we can keep BSU to 40 or under but I won't hold my breath.

Reactions: Lil_Train
There is no demand for UTEP tickets. There won’t be until we win AND it becomes the “in” thing to do with the Utep students.

That will not happen unless there is CONSTANT national TV coverage, that is not kept behind a niche streaming service.

That will not happen unless there is CONSTANT national TV coverage, that is not kept behind a niche streaming service.
ESPN+ is not a niche streaming service though. It’s not CUSAtv or FloSports. UTEP will be lucky to be on national tv more than once a year going forward.

The Miners can’t grow their fan base, so Senter milks the die-hards, except he blew it with the olds (Covid didn’t help).
The only way to grow the fanbase is hope that Dimel can win 5 - 7 games in year 4 and 5 and doesn't receive an extension. This time for the love of God hire a credible coach that El Paso can get excited about.

I do think, maybe its really hope, that if UTEP plays well at Boise St and doesn't get blasted, they can draw over 20k for UNM.
Doubt it. They also have a week off in between the game as well. We haven’t done over 20k for anyone since the Houston Baptist game. Which had free and “discounted” tickets.

I guess we can just use this thread for our BSU predictions since no one has started one and the game is tomorrow night. Also already some predictions on this thread.

While we all would love to see an upset, reality suggests if the Miners play up to their potential they might make the somewhat interesting.

UTEP 20. BSU 30

To me that would be a good showing.

"Then there were the eight times that the Sun Bowl has eclipsed 50,000 fans – Texas vs. North Carolina (50,612); Michigan State vs. USC (50,562); Arizona vs. Georgia Tech (50,203); Maryland vs. Tennessee (50,126); Arizona State vs. Purdue (51,288); Northwestern vs. UCLA (50,426); Stanford vs. Oklahoma (53,713) and Notre Dame vs. Miami (54,021), which established a new stadium record."

"Bryan Crowe with Destination El Paso said the annual Sun Bowl game generally has about $5.5 million to $6 million in direct economic impact to the community in previous years."

"ABC-7 filed a public records request to see how much money the City of El Paso has paid the Sun Bowl Association over the past couple of years.

City records show close to $15 Million since 2017.

• 2017: $3.55 Million
  • 2018: $3.55 Million
  • 2019: $4 Million
  • 2020: $3.8 Million"

"UTEP EARNED MONEY FROM...​

Ticket sales: $1,988,231

NCAA/conference distributions: $3,866,460" [2015-16 figures]

"Without football profits, managing a self-sustaining athletic department is nearly impossible. Critics might complain that college football coaches’ salaries are too high at the top schools or that university leaders overemphasize the sport. But a successful football team can prop up an entire athletic department, and a struggling football team can cause a university to miss out on millions. It’s not unusual for the less popular sports, like women’s tennis, to see their expenses outpace revenues by more than 5,000 percent. At UTSA, for example, the women’s tennis team earned $1,507 in the 2015 fiscal year, while spending $275,012."

"The September 25, 1999 (NMSU) game at Sun Bowl set a new attendance record for that stadium with 52,247"

For entertainment purposes only, I don't think there is anyway utep losses by 26 or more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT