ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP & UTSA road trip

Utsa scored 22 points in the last 3 minutes with 3 pointer to take the lead. They're coach is the real deal. It's going to be hard for them to keep him if he takes them on a run this year. It's a big if...but they are my dark horse for the conference.

Utsa scored 22 points in the last 3 minutes with 3 pointer to take the lead. They're coach is the real deal. It's going to be hard for them to keep him if he takes them on a run this year.

The real deal????? UTSA is 12-9, and 3rd place in a conference where North Texas is the best team. CUSA is absolutely pathetic this year.

Yes, I like their coach. He might get them +20 wins this season. That will be 2 +20 win seasons at UTSA in 4 years. And i know talking +20 win seasons is a sore topic on this board but seriously, this is UTSA. Have you seen their facilities? What is their recruiting budget? How many fans show up to their games? So, yes, with those challenges, he's turn UTSA into a tough competitor. Henson IS the real deal, in my opinion.

Reactions: miner1liner
Yes, I like their coach. He might get them +20 wins this season. That will be 2 +20 win seasons at UTSA in 4 years. And i know talking +20 win seasons is a sore topic on this board but seriously, this is UTSA. Have you seen their facilities? What is their recruiting budget? How many fans show up to their games? So, yes, with those challenges, he's turn UTSA into a tough competitor. Henson IS the real deal, in my opinion.
Take away the non division 1 wins that don’t count towards the NCAA resume and they are 9-9.

The real deal????? UTSA is 12-9, and 3rd place in a conference where North Texas is the best team. CUSA is absolutely pathetic this year.

I disagree. CUSA is very up and down this year. ODU did beat Syracuse and VCU. The worst team in CUSA (Charlotte) beat Oklahoma St, WKU beat Wisconsin, West Virginia, and Arkansas, USM beat SMU, and FAU beat UCF. The conference is rated above the Missouri Valley, WAC and the Mountain West.

I disagree. CUSA is very up and down this year. ODU did beat Syracuse and VCU. The worst team in CUSA (Charlotte) beat Oklahoma St, WKU beat Wisconsin, West Virginia, and Arkansas, USM beat SMU, and FAU beat UCF. The conference is rated above the Missouri Valley, WAC and the Mountain West.
Hmmmm. Now who did we beat? Have to go back and check.

UTSA is winning conference games, they are in first place, and defending their home court but what is going to take for San Antonio to support them. During conference play they are averaging a measly crowd of 840.

Doesn't matter whom CUSA beats, still a one bid league and very low on the national perception scale. IMO worst type of conference to be a part of, hard to win as teams are very competitive but no chance to raise perceptions and will likely remain a one bid league and will face a tough seeding every year. Other low profile conferences suffer the same, but are easier to win, ie the WAC as NMSU demonstrates.

Reactions: Lil_Train
WKU has some good wins against the teams you mentioned, but they also have some very bad losses. This is why CUSa is so pathetic. A team beats Wisconsin, WVU, Arkansas, but have a 11-10 overall record and are 4-4, 8th place in CUSA.

The Missouri Valley is not the same conference it used to be a few years ago. It has regressed big time. CUSA should be better than the WAC. The WAC sucks big time. Now CUSA being better than the MW???? No way.

Reactions: JCorona
WKU has some good wins against the teams you mentioned, but they also have some very bad losses. This is why CUSa is so pathetic. A team beats Wisconsin, WVU, Arkansas, but have a 11-10 overall record and are 4-4, 8th place in CUSA.

The Missouri Valley is not the same conference it used to be a few years ago. It has regressed big time. CUSA should be better than the WAC. The WAC sucks big time. Now CUSA being better than the MW???? No way.
Just to add to your point. Yes according to the computers we are better than the MW but it’s nothing to boast about when we’re both behind a conference called Southern.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
Agree the WAC sucks but l it serves NMSU very well, they have an easy path to the NCAA every year. After about the top 7 or eight conferences there is little or no difference in the NCAA's mind. CUSA is in that group really doesn't matter if we are 12 or 10 or 18th it's all one bid territory. So it program wise it is better to be in an easy to win one bid league than it is to be in harder to win one bid league. Ranking at this point mean little to nothing.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Agree the WAC sucks but l it serves NMSU very well, they have an easy path to the NCAA every year. After about the top 7 or eight conferences there is little or no difference in the NCAA's mind. CUSA is in that group really doesn't matter if we are 12 or 10 or 18th it's all one bid territory. So it program wise it is better to be in an easy to win one bid league than it is to be in harder to win one bid league. Ranking at this point mean little to nothing.

At least CUSA still gives us some exposure in Texas for recruiting purposes — WAC doesn’t.

Agree the WAC sucks but l it serves NMSU very well, they have an easy path to the NCAA every year.
That they do, but they lose in the NCAA Tourney every time they go. Inferior competition from the WAC gets them into the Tourney every season, but it hurts them because they don't get tested, and they get blown out in the 1st round of NCAA Tourney against a very good team.

Yes. I understand what he means. No kids are excited to play UTSA Rice or UNT. Texas kids would be more excited to play, Nevada, UNLV, UNM and San Diego State. Kids like brand names C-USA has none.

Much easier for an athlete’s family to see him play if he’s from Houston, San Antonio or D/FW.

Reactions: Stanman915
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT