ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP will make the big dance this year.

And Floyd has done what at UTEP so far?
Its funny how people on here measure success with Floyd and Barbee. You would think they would measure based on what they did while they coached at UTEP, but its based on what they did in their other jobs. Floyd is a success because of what he did at USC and Iowa State and Barbee is a failure because of what happened at Auburn. I guess I just don't have high basketball IQ like the rest and I don't understand.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
You're right. You're deficient in your BB iq.
In computer science - it's commonly termed an ID 10 T issue...I'll leave it to you to figure out.

Barbee rode DC to the dance. This isn't a Barbee vs Floyd issue btw.
Your basketball IQ is off the charts. I guess players like Culpepper, Stone, McCauly(sp.??), Moultrie had nothing to do with it as well. Stone was a true PG, something Floyd can't find too. Correct me if I am wrong since my basketball IQ is low, but isn't it the coaches job to find good players who can improve your team???? Kind of the season reasoning why Floyd is bringing in Artis.

For the people that keep putting down Barbee, Billy, and Doc and will defend Floyd at all costs:

51078187.jpg

Reactions: Epsilon00
I watched the replay of the luncheon. Some of the "jokes" Floyd was cracking almost felt like personal digs at some of the players. Maybe that's his sense of humor?

I got the feeling ( like others have stated) that he doesn't care for omega or wynn. I feel like he's boasting touchet, perhaps in an effort to get us accustomed to him playing point. Maybe he feels omega won't be around for long, in which case touctouchet will play a bigger role.

Speaking of touchet, I think he has some potential. His problem is confidence. The kid seems a little introverted, and is likely around much more confident guards. That probably intimidates him and keeps him from really being aggressive. His defense seemed pretty good against a talented DA. And based on his film, he should be able to get his own shots since he does have handles and even a crossover. Let the kid make a few shots in real games, gain some mojo, and I'll bet he turns out pretty good in time....

Always nice to have people support the program and pay for tables at the luncheons....

I never said he didn't mention Terry Winn or Omega. He just didn't have a feel good story or joke to crack at them. From what I have heard from my sources in the program, Terry Winn and Omega are the trouble makers on the team and I bet one if not both don't make the entire year on the team. The Kelvin story was great and hope to see that kid develop into a real talent because like Floyd said, there could a movie made on his story.
Your statement was, "he does not like Terry Winn or Omega Harris and he made that evident by having nothing to say about them". When I read that it sounded to me like you were saying he didn't even mention them. With your updated post, I understand what you are saying now. You are right, Floyd didn't have any stories about them, but he did mention their names and did say a few things about them.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Family is from a Mormon town in Mexico. The cartel overtook the city and his family fled to North Dakota where they purchased an oil rig. Kelvin played 2 years of basketball up there but was on the C team. Family then moved to Texas and purchased an oil tanker and are transporting oil from Texas to the town in Mexico they were from. Kelvin quit basketball and had no interest in it but the coach persuaded him to play. When UTEP offered him, his grades did not transfer so there was an issue there (this was the confusing part). The only issue was that his family could not afford the ~$14,000 tuition for Kelvin so he went to Houston where his older siblings worked and sold pesticide contracts. They were making ~$20,000/month! selling these contracts so he worked all summer and made enough money to enroll at UTEP.

They Floyd cracked a joke at the end and said he is a white guy with a black name and speaks spanish.
Well said, that was the story. I will also add that Floyd commented that Jones and his family have a strong work ethic. Also, just to make it clear, the coach that persuaded him to play was the coach at Hobbs.

Hard to argue with crazy. The one and only FACT in this thread is that it was once again hijacked by Epsi for his same old tired agenda. As pointed out, nothing we don't already know. As for the what Floyd did with Barbee's players debate, it will never be resolved. Floyd never had Barbee's NCAA team. Fact, right? All we know is the best Barbee could do pre Caracter, was CBI. The best Floyd could do with that group, minus Caracter and Moultree was NIT. I just beg to differ with Lucaminer's statement that Barbee brought talent we hadn't seen here since the 80's...Gillispie brought in some top notch talent too, Omar Thomas, Filiberto, J. Williams, Chris Craig were no slouches. I'm not by any means belittling Barbee's recruits. I've gone on record, and I'll go again, I did not consider Gillispie's nor Barbee's tenure here a failure. Nor have I seen others stating that, other that when it's made up by epsi and the mutt. I know a lot of people were upset at the way they left, and Barbee's attitude. Who cares, its done with. None issue entirely. I wasn't impressed with Doc's. I am just of the opinion that Floyd is the better coach that Barbee. When you have Barbee's players going on record as saying that they learned more about the game of basketball during the first month under Floyd, that they did in three years with Barbee...well that speaks volumes in my opinion. I personally don't think Barbee will ever hold a head coaching position at this level again. In my opinion, its way too early to make a prediction on my part on where this team will land this year. I am excited about the guards and shooting potential on the team. It seems to be way above the level of what we've seen thus far under Floyd. I'm not ready to throw the new bigs under the bus, as one person already has. They all are going to have growing pains. That's where my expectations are tempered. I wouldn't even be surprised if both Romain and Thomas were red-shirted this year. I'm just tired of all the Floyd/Barbee BS. Let's focus on this team and on it's players already. It's a new season.

Barbee's was in the CBI because those teams were nothing but freshman and sophomores. They were young but they improved every year. When they were juniors they won the CUSA regular season and made the NBA tourney. All this was within 3 years and in a much tougher CUSA. It's not Barbee's fault he could bring in good players like Carácter and Moultrie, after all that's what you are suppose to do as a head coach is recruit good players. Floyd has been here 5 seasons and plays in a much weaker CUSA and has done nothing. Barbee is a better coach than Floyd. The facts don't lie. You can keep blaming Barbee's success all you want because of Caracter, but would Bill Bilichick have won as many super bowls as he has without Brady, would the Bulls have won as many championships as they have without Jordan??? And where is the proof that Barbee's players said they learned more from Floyd than Barbee??

The facts don't lie:

Barbee in 4 seasons at UTEP: 2 CBI appearances (made the finals), Big Dance appearance, CUSA Championship

Tim Floyd in 5 seasons at UTEP: NIT and CBI appearance

I don't know how anybody can say Floyd is a better coach at UTEP than Floyd.

Reactions: Epsilon00
The facts don't lie:

Barbee in 4 seasons at UTEP: 2 CBI appearances (made the finals), Big Dance appearance, CUSA Championship

You forgot to post how much each coach currently has in their bank account. That's the deciding factor.

Barbee's was in the CBI because those teams were nothing but freshman and sophomores. They were young but they improved every year. When they were juniors they won the CUSA regular season and made the NBA tourney. All this was within 3 years and in a much tougher CUSA. It's not Barbee's fault he could bring in good players like Carácter and Moultrie, after all that's what you are suppose to do as a head coach is recruit good players. Floyd has been here 5 seasons and plays in a much weaker CUSA and has done nothing. Barbee is a better coach than Floyd. The facts don't lie. You can keep blaming Barbee's success all you want because of Caracter, but would Bill Bilichick have won as many super bowls as he has without Brady, would the Bulls have won as many championships as they have without Jordan??? And where is the proof that Barbee's players said they learned more from Floyd than Barbee??

Supposing you are right, and I'm not saying you are, but it is a subjective matter as to who the better coach is so you are absolutely entitled to your opinion. But what the hell does it matter? What does it have to do with now? You don't like Floyd, and I'm pretty damn sure everybody on this board gets it. The reason I criticize your IQ, and not just your bb IQ, is because you keep saying the same shit and are expecting different responses...or you just like to piss people off and both of those reasons point to idiocy.

I watched the replay of the luncheon. Some of the "jokes" Floyd was cracking almost felt like personal digs at some of the players. Maybe that's his sense of humor?

I got the feeling ( like others have stated) that he doesn't care for omega or wynn. I feel like he's boasting touchet, perhaps in an effort to get us accustomed to him playing point. Maybe he feels omega won't be around for long, in which case touctouchet will play a bigger role.

Speaking of touchet, I think he has some potential. His problem is confidence. The kid seems a little introverted, and is likely around much more confident guards. That probably intimidates him and keeps him from really being aggressive. His defense seemed pretty good against a talented DA. And based on his film, he should be able to get his own shots since he does have handles and even a crossover. Let the kid make a few shots in real games, gain some mojo, and I'll bet he turns out pretty good in time....
I have a question and this isn't directed towards USAF, but what experience does everyone have beyond college in their sport or up to college for that matter? I didn't amount to much after high school in soccer, never tried the college route, which I regret after going back to school several years later, could have saved some cash

The facts don't lie:

Nobody can say Floyd is a better coach than Floyd you numbnuts, but whatever, 2 NIT's for Floyd, with no Caracter... NO NIT's for Barbee without Caracter... You tell me

I have a question and this isn't directed towards USAF, but what experience does everyone have beyond college in their sport or up to college for that matter? I didn't amount to much after high school in soccer, never tried the college route, which I regret after going back to school several years later, could have saved some cash

A couple years of college ball and a brief stint playing semi-pro.

nice of all of you to show up at the same time....

Question... Do I have to write this out multiple times, or is one good enough for the rest of your personalities?

You're right. You're deficient in your BB iq.
In computer science - it's commonly termed an ID 10 T issue...I'll leave it to you to figure out.
His twin couldn't figure out the CC reference - so surely he will not figure this out...

When they were Juniors they made the NBA tourney? Wow, didn't know the NBA had a tourney! Where was I? Again, remind me who was on that team again? Ah yes, Caracter. Not Barbee's fault he could bring in good players like Caracter and Moultrie? Who's faulting him? I wasn't. Again, that's your throw crap and see what sticks routine. How am I blaming Barbee's success because of Caracter? That sentence doesn't even make sense. Do you even know the definition of "blame"? I'm saying he reached the NCAA Tourney (not NBA) because of Caracter. You insinuate as if that pissed me off. Hell, I was glad as hell to have Caracter here. But he was THE difference in Barbee's NCAA and Floyd's NIT year. I'll give you one blaring example. In the final seconds of the game against UAB at the Don, Caracter gets a tough rebound, outlets to Stone, who drives down the middle of the court. UAB has to find and cover Polk and Culpepper and Williams, Caracter slips underneath the basket for an easy pass from Stone for the dunk, and the win. One year later, in a similar situation against Memphis, no Caracter, Memphis easily covers our threats from the outside, because we have no inside threat, aka; Caracter. Caracter was the difference maker for Barbee in finally reaching the Dance. Your stance is that because Barbee reached the NCAA (not NBA) tourney, he's a better coach than Floyd. I'm talking X's and O's. I'm talking overall basketball knowledge and the ability to teach the game. Barbee reached the tourney, great, I loved that year. Does it make him more successful than Floyd? Yeah, at this point. Floyd's tenure is not over though. But, you will never convince me Barbee was a better overall coach. If he was, he'd still be a head coach somewhere. As for proof of what the players said? This was in 2010, I'm not gonna look for it. It was in print and media, and it was Stone and Culpepper that said it. Whether you believe it or not doesn't concern me. But unlike you, I don't throw crap on the wall to see what sticks.

Hard to argue with crazy. The one and only FACT in this thread is that it was once again hijacked by Epsi for his same old tired agenda. As pointed out, nothing we don't already know. As for the what Floyd did with Barbee's players debate, it will never be resolved. Floyd never had Barbee's NCAA team. Fact, right? All we know is the best Barbee could do pre Caracter, was CBI. The best Floyd could do with that group, minus Caracter and Moultree was NIT. I just beg to differ with Lucaminer's statement that Barbee brought talent we hadn't seen here since the 80's...Gillispie brought in some top notch talent too, Omar Thomas, Filiberto, J. Williams, Chris Craig were no slouches. I'm not by any means belittling Barbee's recruits. I've gone on record, and I'll go again, I did not consider Gillispie's nor Barbee's tenure here a failure. Nor have I seen others stating that, other that when it's made up by epsi and the mutt. I know a lot of people were upset at the way they left, and Barbee's attitude. Who cares, its done with. None issue entirely. I wasn't impressed with Doc's. I am just of the opinion that Floyd is the better coach that Barbee. When you have Barbee's players going on record as saying that they learned more about the game of basketball during the first month under Floyd, that they did in three years with Barbee...well that speaks volumes in my opinion. I personally don't think Barbee will ever hold a head coaching position at this level again. In my opinion, its way too early to make a prediction on my part on where this team will land this year. I am excited about the guards and shooting potential on the team. It seems to be way above the level of what we've seen thus far under Floyd. I'm not ready to throw the new bigs under the bus, as one person already has. They all are going to have growing pains. That's where my expectations are tempered. I wouldn't even be surprised if both Romain and Thomas were red-shirted this year. I'm just tired of all the Floyd/Barbee BS. Let's focus on this team and on it's players already. It's a new season.

I heard that as well, former players making those comments. To add to that, a former player from the 80's trashed Barbee and said he didn't know what the hell he was doing and that the players' athleticism won the games, not coaching. How do I know you ask, he walked into a bar after a game and we struck up a conversation about the game and Barbee. He was really frustrated about it, said he attended practices and could not believe how clueless Barbee was as a coach.

The facts don't lie:

Tim Floyd in 5 seasons at UTEP: 2 NIT and a CBI appearance

If Floyd didn't have Vince Hunter we wouldn't have made the NIT last season and would have won less than 20 games.

Very true...you just proved my point on Barbee/Caracter. Thanks.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT