ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP will make the big dance this year.

Good shooting and guard play can definitely take you there.... They will have a chance if Moore and artis are as good as advertised

Reactions: mikesarabia
One reason: ARTIS. He is the missing link. He will make Vint look like a stud. Domino effect. Sure, I don't know ish. But I think he is the key that will turn the Miners into winners in post season.

Reactions: mikesarabia
Somebody was at the kickoff luncheon today and is drunk on the koolaid that Floyd spit at us. It seems like we will have a good team but Floyd did not sound confident about any position. Said we have 3 PG's and one of them has to be good and take over the position. We have some guards who can shoot and we could of been dominate under the basket if Wilms was healthy and Vince didnt go to the draft.Besides that, he forgot about most of the newcomers and had to ask the crowd on who he forgot. Like I have said in other threads, he does not like Terry Winn or Omega Harris and he made that evident by having nothing to say about them.

But will I go to every home game, you betcha.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
Somebody was at the kickoff luncheon today and is drunk on the koolaid that Floyd spit at us. It seems like we will have a good team but Floyd did not sound confident about any position. Said we have 3 PG's and one of them has to be good and take over the position. We have some guards who can shoot and we could of been dominate under the basket if Wilms was healthy and Vince didnt go to the draft.Besides that, he forgot about most of the newcomers and had to ask the crowd on who he forgot. Like I have said in other threads, he does not like Terry Winn or Omega Harris and he made that evident by having nothing to say about them.

Where's the kool-aid in Floyd's comments?

Reactions: allminer

Dipsh.. is back

The schedule is trash, which will hurt SOS but help pad the Win column.

As for the NCAA tournament, it's time UTEP wins a game or 2. This program needs to wake up and stop living in the past.

I was at the "tipoff " luncheon today. Floyd did say he likes to have good guards and it gives you a good chance to win. The three he mentioned at point were Artis, Omega, and Touchet (??). Of the newcomers he was forgetting Buddha Jones and when reminded he gave details how he arrived at UTEP. He actually did mention Terry Winn and did say "let's see how it works out for him". He also did mention Omega several times. So it's not true that he didn't have anything to say about them. He also shared a story about Kelvin Jones and how he made it to UTEP.

I was at the "tipoff " luncheon today. Floyd did say he likes to have good guards and it gives you a good chance to win. The three he mentioned at point were Artis, Omega, and Touchet (??). Of the newcomers he was forgetting Buddha Jones and when reminded he gave details how he arrived at UTEP. He actually did mention Terry Winn and did say "let's see how it works out for him". He also did mention Omega several times. So it's not true that he didn't have anything to say about them. He also shared a story about Kelvin Jones and how he made it to UTEP.
Always nice to have someone who actually pays attention.

Predicting that we're going to make the NCAA Tournament right now is a huge stretch in my opinion. I know that all that we've seen of the team so far is a scrimmage, but even then I feel comfortable saying that our guard play is definitely strong enough to get us to the Tournament. Unfortunately our inside play isn't close to the caliber we need to make such a bold prediction right now. If Ced still had a year of eligibility left, and Vince had returned, I think that we would have a really great shot at going dancing.

Also hurting our chances is our schedule. Without having the opportunity to get any signature wins for the selection committee, we will need either to have an almost perfect record (unlikely), or win the CUSA Tourney. With our backcourt the latter is definitely possible, but having to count on a victory in the conference tournament to make the dance is always an iffy proposition no matter who you are, especially if rebounding and interior scoring and defense is going to be such an issue. I hope that we make the tournament, but I'm certainly not going to hold my breath.

Always nice to have someone who actually pays attention.

Always nice to have people support the program and pay for tables at the luncheons....

I never said he didn't mention Terry Winn or Omega. He just didn't have a feel good story or joke to crack at them. From what I have heard from my sources in the program, Terry Winn and Omega are the trouble makers on the team and I bet one if not both don't make the entire year on the team. The Kelvin story was great and hope to see that kid develop into a real talent because like Floyd said, there could a movie made on his story.

Reactions: unihorn
Always nice to have people support the program and pay for tables at the luncheons....

I never said he didn't mention Terry Winn or Omega. He just didn't have a feel good story or joke to crack at them. From what I have heard from my sources in the program, Terry Winn and Omega are the trouble makers on the team and I bet one if not both don't make the entire year on the team. The Kelvin story was great and hope to see that kid develop into a real talent because like Floyd said, there could a movie made on his story.

Cliff notes on the Kelvin Jones story? I had a seat at the lunch but couldn't attend because of a work-related conflict.

Family is from a Mormon town in Mexico. The cartel overtook the city and his family fled to North Dakota where they purchased an oil rig. Kelvin played 2 years of basketball up there but was on the C team. Family then moved to Texas and purchased an oil tanker and are transporting oil from Texas to the town in Mexico they were from. Kelvin quit basketball and had no interest in it but the coach persuaded him to play. When UTEP offered him, his grades did not transfer so there was an issue there (this was the confusing part). The only issue was that his family could not afford the ~$14,000 tuition for Kelvin so he went to Houston where his older siblings worked and sold pesticide contracts. They were making ~$20,000/month! selling these contracts so he worked all summer and made enough money to enroll at UTEP.

They Floyd cracked a joke at the end and said he is a white guy with a black name and speaks spanish.

Honestly I think we are a borderline CBI team at best. Last years team was the best team Floyd has had since he has been here, and he didn't do jack sh&*. Either Winn or Harris, or both, will be gone based on the posts mentioned above. Everyone keeps mentioning Artis is going to take us to the next level, but he only averaged 6 points per game at Oregon. Thomas and Jones were suppose to be the top freshman in the recruiting class but both still need a lot of work and aren't ready yet. Those 2 were suppose to boost our front court but they aren't ready. So that leaves with with high hopes for an big man who is average at best at 100% healthy Wilms, but he isn't at 100% and he is only limited to 15 minutes per game. So that leaves us with Hooper Vint. and we all know that is scraping the bottom of the barrel. based on the comments from the scrimmage it is looking like this prized recruiting class isn't all that it was made out to be and many of them are a work on progress.

The schedule is trash, which will hurt SOS but help pad the Win column.

As for the NCAA tournament, it's time UTEP wins a game or 2. This program needs to wake up and stop living in the past.
It is not Floyds fault for not making the NCAA Tournament because he didn't have D. Caracter.

Honestly I think we are a borderline CBI team at best. Last years team was the best team Floyd has had since he has been here, and he didn't do jack sh&*. Either Winn or Harris, or both, will be gone based on the posts mentioned above. Everyone keeps mentioning Artis is going to take us to the next level, but he only averaged 6 points per game at Oregon. Thomas and Jones were suppose to be the top freshman in the recruiting class but both still need a lot of work and aren't ready yet. Those 2 were suppose to boost our front court but they aren't ready. So that leaves with with high hopes for an big man who is average at best at 100% healthy Wilms, but he isn't at 100% and he is only limited to 15 minutes per game. So that leaves us with Hooper Vint. and we all know that is scraping the bottom of the barrel. based on the comments from the scrimmage it is looking like this prized recruiting class isn't all that it was made out to be and many of them are a work on progress.

Those with low basketball IQ can't see beyond the numbers and therefore use stats as their only means of presenting a case. Those with lower than low basketball IQ do it over and over and over...

broken%20record.jpg

Barbee was a mediocre coach with a .510 winning record. Now he's holding Coach Cal's clipboard. He goes dancing riding on CC's coattails. Pfft.

We don't know what these new players can or can't do based on one scrimmage. Yes, the Big Dance is a long shot, but that's what makes it a dream worth fighting for. Step two of the journey is Saturday afternoon.
On the one hand, Epsilon sarcasticly criticizes positive reviews of certain players based on the scrimmage. On the other hand, Epsilon uses negative reviews of certain players to try to prove a point. How convenient.

Barbee was a mediocre coach with a .510 winning record. Now he's holding Coach Cal's clipboard. He goes dancing riding on CC's coattails. Pfft.
Barbee inherited a mess and had to build the program up from the bottom, thats why his record is .510. But his teams always showed huge improvement from year to year. Floyd inherited a NCAA Tournament team and has done nothing and shows no improvement. Barbee won't be holding Calapari's clipboard much longer. I wouldn't be surprised if Barbee took the next team he will coach to the NCAA tournament before Floyd takes UTEP there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT