ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP will make the big dance this year.

I heard that as well, former players making those comments. To add to that, a former player from the 80's trashed Barbee and said he didn't know what the hell he was doing and that the players' athleticism won the games, not coaching. How do I know you ask, he walked into a bar after a game and we struck up a conversation about the game and Barbee. He was really frustrated about it, said he attended practices and could not believe how clueless Barbee was as a coach.

I wonder what that same player would say about Floyd.

Very true...you just proved my point on Barbee/Caracter. Thanks.
Then BG sucked as well because if he didn't have Rivera or Thomas, we wouldn't have made the NCAA tourney that year.
Or if Floyd pulls off the miracle and gets us to the NCAA tourney this year or next year it will only be because of Artis.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
Barbee inherited a mess and had to build the program up from the bottom, thats why his record is .510. But his teams always showed huge improvement from year to year. Floyd inherited a NCAA Tournament team and has done nothing and shows no improvement. Barbee won't be holding Calapari's clipboard much longer. I wouldn't be surprised if Barbee took the next team he will coach to the NCAA tournament before Floyd takes UTEP there.

He did inherit a mess, a big mess and made strides every year, but he wouldn't reach out to the community to strengthen the local fan base. Floyd did inherit a good NCAA ready team but blew it against Memphis, on our own court. However, Barbee is not going anywhere. Why would a mid major or a major school take a chance on him? He blew it at Auburn and left UTEP like there was no tomorrow on the first sniff from a larger conference. IMO, he will be with Cal a few more years at least.

I heard that as well, former players making those comments. To add to that, a former player from the 80's trashed Barbee and said he didn't know what the hell he was doing and that the players' athleticism won the games, not coaching. How do I know you ask, he walked into a bar after a game and we struck up a conversation about the game and Barbee. He was really frustrated about it, said he attended practices and could not believe how clueless Barbee was as a coach.
You just made Floyd look even worse. If a coach who is completely clueless can come in here and inherit a complete mess and turn it around and make the NCAA tourney within 3 years, cusa regular season championship , win the cusa tourney, make it to the cbi finals, make the top 25, all in a much much tougher cusa. All that being clueless. Floyd hasnt accomplished any of that in the 5 years he has been here. So what does that make him?

He did inherit a mess, a big mess and made strides every year, but he wouldn't reach out to the community to strengthen the local fan base. Floyd did inherit a good NCAA ready team but blew it against Memphis, on our own court. However, Barbee is not going anywhere. Why would a mid major or a major school take a chance on him? He blew it at Auburn and left UTEP like there was no tomorrow on the first sniff from a larger conference. IMO, he will be with Cal a few more years at least.
I think he will get another chance after this season. Someone will take a chance on him because the guy can recruit and can turn any mid major program around. I think next time he will be a little selective when bigger schools come after him when he is coaching at another school. I think the quick turnaround and success he had in a short amount of time here got to his head and he thought he was the next Calapari. But he learned his lesson at Auburn.

Exactly whose coat tails did Barbee ride into the tournament? He recruited the best talent here since The 80's. And it isn't even close.
I never had any use for Barbee. He was an absolute dud as a person who seemed to think he was on another level and too high and mighty to stoop down to acknowledge us peons. He was able to recruit...I'll give him that, but I always felt that he couldn't wait to get out of here.

Well said, that was the story. I will also add that Floyd commented that Jones and his family have a strong work ethic. Also, just to make it clear, the coach that persuaded him to play was the coach at Hobbs.

Yes, Kelvin moved to Hobbs not Texas. That part of my recap was incorrect, thanks for the refresher.

I think he will get another chance after this season. Someone will take a chance on him because the guy can recruit and can turn any mid major program around. I think next time he will be a little selective when bigger schools come after him when he is coaching at another school. I think the quick turnaround and success he had in a short amount of time here got to his head and he thought he was the next Calapari. But he learned his lesson at Auburn.

Yeah, Nevada felt like he "turn any mid-major program around", so much so that they opted instead to go with Eric Musselman. Who? Yeah Eric Musselman, who has zero head coaching experience at the collegiate or professional level. Wait, Eric who? Barbee is in high demand, huh?

Just as clarification, I liked Barbee as a coach. He ushered in an exciting era with his recruiting ties. I'm not knocking him, but I think he burned more than a bridge or two.

Barbee was great for El Paso. His player were extremely popular. He went from a CBI appearance, to the CBI finals, to the NCAA tourney. That was great for UTEP.

This is not a Barbee versus Floyd issue.

The only issue is when the girls say Floyd inherited a NCAA team. He didn't. You can't say he inherited a team when it is missing it's best player. A player who changed the team from one game to the next. Barbee deserves all the credit in the world for getting DC on the team and taking it to the NCAA tourney.

Barbee was great for El Paso. His player were extremely popular. He went from a CBI appearance, to the CBI finals, to the NCAA tourney. That was great for UTEP.

The only issue is when the girls say Floyd inherited a NCAA team. He didn't. You can't say he inherited a team when it is missing it's best player. A player who changed the team from one game to the next. Barbee deserves all the credit in the world for getting DC on the team and taking it to the NCAA tourney.

I agree to some extent that Floyd didn't inherit an NCAA team because there were two vital elements missing with DC and AM both moving on. However, with that said, CTF should have been able to turn them into an NCAA team with who they did have. The Miners "should" have gone dancing Floyd's first year. UTEP shit that game away against Memphis to get the auto bid. So in a sense it was at least a NCAA "ready" team.

And for me this isn't a CTF vs CTB thing. I find it funny that espsi thinks Barbee is some hot commodity that could turn any mid major program around, but I also find it funny that some people are incapable of seeing Floyd objectively also. In my opinion, Floyd forgot to coach those last 6 minutes of the cusa tourney finals when he let a 12 point lead quickly evaporate. But, it was what it was and you gotta move on.

Then BG sucked as well because if he didn't have Rivera or Thomas, we wouldn't have made the NCAA tourney that year.
Or if Floyd pulls off the miracle and gets us to the NCAA tourney this year or next year it will only be because of Artis.

Once again genius...quit twisting my words and speaking for me. I never said anyone sucked, much less Barbee. Throw crap, see what sticks. Doesn't work around here bud.

I agree to some extent that Floyd didn't inherit an NCAA team because there were two vital elements missing with DC and AM both moving on. However, with that said, CTF should have been able to turn them into an NCAA team with who they did have. The Miners "should" have gone dancing Floyd's first year. UTEP shit that game away against Memphis to get the auto bid. So in a sense it was at least a NCAA "ready" team.

And for me this isn't a CTF vs CTB thing. I find it funny that espsi thinks Barbee is some hot commodity that could turn any mid major program around, but I also find it funny that some people are incapable of seeing Floyd objectively also. In my opinion, Floyd forgot to coach those last 6 minutes of the cusa tourney finals when he let a 12 point lead quickly evaporate. But, it was what it was and you gotta move on.

I think a big factor in the Memphis loss was a lack of depth and complete exhaustion of the starters by that point.

I think a big factor in the Memphis loss was a lack of depth and complete exhaustion of the starters by that point.

And Claude Britton missing a couple of gimmies down the stretch coming off well drawn plays. Those were killers...anyone of those baskets would have made the difference. But Claude was no Caracter.

Reactions: FarWestTexas

I respectfully disagree. Perhaps exhaustion played a part but you gotta dig deep at that point with what's on the line. I don't think all five guys on the court suddenly had nothing left in the tank. Rather, shot selection down the stretch was poor, and too quick. Also, no defensive adjustment was made, especially on Jackson, who didn't get hot until very late in the game.

And Claude Britton missing a couple of gimmies down the stretch coming off well drawn plays. Those were killers...anyone of those baskets would have made the difference. But Claude was no Caracter.

I do remember us missing a few gimmies. That was a tough stretch of bb to watch.

Introversion has nothing to do with confidence and intimidation.

Introversion can have everything to do with confidence in a high pressure basketball game.

Introverts don't typically want to be a center of attention, whether good or bad. An introvert may not want to take an aggressive role in basketball situations for fear of attention being put solely on them.

I respectfully disagree. Perhaps exhaustion played a part but you gotta dig deep at that point with what's on the line. I don't think all five guys on the court suddenly had nothing left in the tank. Rather, shot selection down the stretch was poor, and too quick. Also, no defensive adjustment was made, especially on Jackson, who didn't get hot until very late in the game.

I'm not saying tiredness is the only reason we lost, but I definitely remember our guys being out of gas -- it was a factor.

I went to Barbee's NCAA game in San Jose feeling good at the half we'd win. Did anyone here realize how good Butler was that year? Brutal first round draw...

Butler was frigging good. Nobody knew how good at first. UTEP was espn's upset alert for the first round and a team that they thought could go several rounds deep. Brutal matchup is a good description.

Butler was frigging good. Nobody knew how good at first. UTEP was espn's upset alert for the first round and a team that they thought could go several rounds deep. Brutal matchup is a good description.

DC didn't get on the team bus after the game, and he and Barbee were soon gone.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Stop it. He's a misogynist but he's not a homophobe. He loves gay people.

My bad. I thought he was either a homophobe or gay because it sounded like, with the authority from which he made the declaration, that he was speaking from experience.

EXACTLY!!! I've been saying that FOREVER!

Introversion can have everything to do with confidence in a high pressure basketball game.

Introverts don't typically want to be a center of attention, whether good or bad. An introvert may not want to take an aggressive role in basketball situations for fear of attention being put solely on them.

Introversion has no correlation with confidence. Many musicians, actors, CEO's, etc. are introverts. There is a big stereotype that introverts are these people who don't like talking to people and extroverts are these people who like to talk to anybody and everybody. That is completely false. In my experience, extroverts are the people that like being the center of attention with a group of people, but on their own they don't function the same. In my experience, introverts are the ones who are independent and have no trouble going up yo being alone and talking to them, but at the same time at the end of the day they are happy to go home and read a good book, etc. Again, these are just my experiences.

Barbee will be a hot commodity at the end of the season. Being an assistant at Kentucky will only raise his stock.
Floyd pretty much forgets to coach in every big CUSA game and NIT games.

I never had any use for Barbee. He was an absolute dud as a person who seemed to think he was on another level and too high and mighty to stoop down to acknowledge us peons. He was able to recruit...I'll give him that, but I always felt that he couldn't wait to get out of here.
At least he waited until he took us to the NCAA tourney before leaving.
Floyd has shown he can't wait to get out of here since he finished his first season here.

Introversion has no correlation with confidence. Many musicians, actors, CEO's, etc. are introverts. There is a big stereotype that introverts are these people who don't like talking to people and extroverts are these people who like to talk to anybody and everybody. That is completely false. In my experience, extroverts are the people that like being the center of attention with a group of people, but on their own they don't function the same. In my experience, introverts are the ones who are independent and have no trouble going up yo being alone and talking to them, but at the same time at the end of the day they are happy to go home and read a good book, etc. Again, these are just my experiences.
Now he's an introvert/extrovert expert - add it to the list

Hard to argue with crazy. The one and only FACT in this thread is that it was once again hijacked by Epsi for his same old tired agenda. As pointed out, nothing we don't already know. As for the what Floyd did with Barbee's players debate, it will never be resolved. Floyd never had Barbee's NCAA team. Fact, right? All we know is the best Barbee could do pre Caracter, was CBI. The best Floyd could do with that group, minus Caracter and Moultree was NIT. I just beg to differ with Lucaminer's statement that Barbee brought talent we hadn't seen here since the 80's...Gillispie brought in some top notch talent too, Omar Thomas, Filiberto, J. Williams, Chris Craig were no slouches. I'm not by any means belittling Barbee's recruits. I've gone on record, and I'll go again, I did not consider Gillispie's nor Barbee's tenure here a failure. Nor have I seen others stating that, other that when it's made up by epsi and the mutt. I know a lot of people were upset at the way they left, and Barbee's attitude. Who cares, its done with. None issue entirely. I wasn't impressed with Doc's. I am just of the opinion that Floyd is the better coach that Barbee. When you have Barbee's players going on record as saying that they learned more about the game of basketball during the first month under Floyd, that they did in three years with Barbee...well that speaks volumes in my opinion. I personally don't think Barbee will ever hold a head coaching position at this level again. In my opinion, its way too early to make a prediction on my part on where this team will land this year. I am excited about the guards and shooting potential on the team. It seems to be way above the level of what we've seen thus far under Floyd. I'm not ready to throw the new bigs under the bus, as one person already has. They all are going to have growing pains. That's where my expectations are tempered. I wouldn't even be surprised if both Romain and Thomas were red-shirted this year. I'm just tired of all the Floyd/Barbee BS. Let's focus on this team and on it's players already. It's a new season.
I agree 100 percent with this! That's exactly how I feel! Well said.

When they were Juniors they made the NBA tourney? Wow, didn't know the NBA had a tourney! Where was I? Again, remind me who was on that team again? Ah yes, Caracter. Not Barbee's fault he could bring in good players like Caracter and Moultrie? Who's faulting him? I wasn't. Again, that's your throw crap and see what sticks routine. How am I blaming Barbee's success because of Caracter? That sentence doesn't even make sense. Do you even know the definition of "blame"? I'm saying he reached the NCAA Tourney (not NBA) because of Caracter. You insinuate as if that pissed me off. Hell, I was glad as hell to have Caracter here. But he was THE difference in Barbee's NCAA and Floyd's NIT year. I'll give you one blaring example. In the final seconds of the game against UAB at the Don, Caracter gets a tough rebound, outlets to Stone, who drives down the middle of the court. UAB has to find and cover Polk and Culpepper and Williams, Caracter slips underneath the basket for an easy pass from Stone for the dunk, and the win. One year later, in a similar situation against Memphis, no Caracter, Memphis easily covers our threats from the outside, because we have no inside threat, aka; Caracter. Caracter was the difference maker for Barbee in finally reaching the Dance. Your stance is that because Barbee reached the NCAA (not NBA) tourney, he's a better coach than Floyd. I'm talking X's and O's. I'm talking overall basketball knowledge and the ability to teach the game. Barbee reached the tourney, great, I loved that year. Does it make him more successful than Floyd? Yeah, at this point. Floyd's tenure is not over though. But, you will never convince me Barbee was a better overall coach. If he was, he'd still be a head coach somewhere. As for proof of what the players said? This was in 2010, I'm not gonna look for it. It was in print and media, and it was Stone and Culpepper that said it. Whether you believe it or not doesn't concern me. But unlike you, I don't throw crap on the wall to see what sticks.
I have the mutt (Chih) and Episilon on ignore so don't know what they are saying, but based on your sentence where you mention Stone and Culpepper, if you are talking about that they learned more from Floyd in the one season under him, I do remember them stating that.

Reactions: allminer
Barbee will be a hot commodity at the end of the season. Being an assistant at Kentucky will only raise his stock.
Floyd pretty much forgets to coach in every big CUSA game and NIT games.

hopefully he has learned a lot since his trip to auburn.... he could always be an assistant for life since he is a good recruiter... or at least was.....

I'm still laughing at the people saying Floyd has been a better head coach at UTEP than Barbee. I keep hearing Barbee only went to the Big Dance "because this" and Floyd didn't go "because this". Some of you remind me of the annoying parents I hear who say "my child could have done that" (referencing another child's accomplishment). I wouldn't be surprised one bit if you are those types of parents.

Reactions: Epsilon00
I'm still laughing at the people saying Floyd has been a better head coach at UTEP than Barbee. I keep hearing Barbee only went to the Big Dance "because this" and Floyd didn't go "because this". Some of you remind me of the annoying parents I hear who say "my child could have done that" (referencing another child's accomplishment). I wouldn't be surprised one bit if you are those types of parents.

You and epsilon continue to have a reading comprehension problem. Floyd is a better basketball coach than Barbee, hands down. That's the argument. Barbee had more success in less time, doesn't make him a better coach in my eyes. He just had a better team. Of course I'll give him all the credit for constructing that team. You and epsilon want to remain blind to the fact that Caracter pushed that team over the top, fine. No Caracter, no job at Auburn. Floyd's knowledge of the game is head and shoulders above Barbee. Barbee's own players said so. Now you and epsilon want to keep playing the little he went to the dance quicker, therefore he's a better coach game, go ahead and continue to play with yourselves.

I guess Phil Jackson wasn't a good coach because without Jordan and without Kobe and Shaq he would have never won all those NBA championships. :rolleyes:

It's hilarious that people keep adding variables to the question. It is no question that anybody with sense and who isn't a Floyd homer will say Barbee has been a better coach at UTEP than Floyd. Success is based on results.

I will give you an easy example. Let's say A sells 200 cars and B sells 100 cars. It's obvious that A is a better salesperson that B. But I am sure some of you will say, "but B has more knowledge about cars, so he/she is better".

If Floyd was better than Barbee, he would have at least won a postseason game by now and/or taken UTEP to the Big Dance.

ADVERTISEMENT