ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP will make the big dance this year.

You and epsilon continue to have a reading comprehension problem. Floyd is a better basketball coach than Barbee, hands down. That's the argument. Barbee had more success in less time, doesn't make him a better coach in my eyes. He just had a better team. Of course I'll give him all the credit for constructing that team. You and epsilon want to remain blind to the fact that Caracter pushed that team over the top, fine. No Caracter, no job at Auburn. Floyd's knowledge of the game is head and shoulders above Barbee. Barbee's own players said so. Now you and epsilon want to keep playing the little he went to the dance quicker, therefore he's a better coach game, go ahead and continue to play with yourselves.
Let's not forget that UTEP and Floyd beat Auburn and Barbee during that Christmas tournament a few years ago. I would attribute that to coaching.

Let's not forget that UTEP and Floyd beat Auburn and Barbee during that Christmas tournament a few years ago. I would attribute that to coaching.

Again, you all keep adding variables. We are talking about Floyd's head coaching tenure AT UTEP and Barbee's head coaching tenure AT UTEP. I am still perplexed how some of you still can't grasp that simple point.

I think going to the Big Dance means you're a better coach than if you don't go to the Big Dance. But, some of you there clearly don't think that.

If Floyd is a better overall coach than Barbee, then why hasnt he done anything in 5 years in on one of the weakest basketball conferences in the country?
Doc inherited an NCAA tourney team and went back to the NCAA tourney the next year. He was a great X's and O's coach and he had no problems returning to the tourney cause he could coach.
This year's team had a lot of talented players. If Floyd was so great like people on here make him out to be, then he should have coached this team up and should have won the CUSA tourney. UAB was a much younger and inexperienced team but they won CUSA and had an upset victory in the tourney. Floyd was out coached in pretty much every big CUSA game and got taken to school against Murray States coach. Floyd had no clue how to stop Murray state in that game.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
Again, you all keep adding variables. We are talking about Floyd's head coaching tenure AT UTEP and Barbee's head coaching tenure AT UTEP. I am still perplexed how some of you still can't grasp that simple point.

I think going to the Big Dance means you're a better coach than if you don't go to the Big Dance. But, some of you there clearly don't think that.
I'm suprised They Have TV

They bring up all these other variables because the facts don't lie about what Barbee and Floyd have done at UTEP. They have to reach for other meaningless facts . It's funny how they discount success because that coach only won because he had a certain player. It's the coaches job to recruit good players that will take your team to the next level. They are just mad because the great coach and great recruiter can't bring in players that can take us to the next level like Barbee did. So not only was Barbee a better coach than Floyd here, he also puts Floyd to sham in recruiting.

I'm suprised They Have TV

They bring up all these other variables because the facts don't lie about what Barbee and Floyd have done at UTEP. They have to reach for other meaningless facts . It's funny how they discount success because that coach only won because he had a certain player. It's the coaches job to recruit good players that will take your team to the next level. They are just mad because the great coach and great recruiter can't bring in players that can take us to the next level like Barbee did. So not only was Barbee a better coach than Floyd here, he also puts Floyd to sham in recruiting.

This argument goes in circles because of one word: here.

You say Barbee was a better coach than Floyd here at UTEP.

Others say Floyd's body of work over his career is superior to Barbee's.

It's actually reasonable to agree with both positions at this point in time.

Last edited:
Since the share-a-brain twins believe a basketball head coach's success is only measured by post season appearances in tournaments, let's look at some non-variables (stats that cannot be changed) between the two men. Keep in kind, this is based on overall body of work, because if you're pressing people to choose which coach is better than the other, the resumes have to be compared.

Post Season Tournament Appearances

Tim Floyd: 14 total post season tournament appearances
NCAA
8 total appearances
3 First Round appearances
3 Second Round appearances
2 Sweet Sixteen appearances

NIT
5 total appearances
3 First Round appearances
1 Second Round appearance
1 Quarter Finals appearance

CBI
1 appearance (First Round)

Tony Barbee: 3 total post season appearances
NCAA
1 appearance (First Round)

CBI
2 total appearances
1 First Round appearance
1 Finals appearance

Like one of the twins stated, facts and figures don't lie. Tim Floyd is the better basketball coach by an overwhelming margin.

This argument goes in circles because of one word: here.

You say Barbee was a better coach than Floyd here at UTEP.

Others say Floyd's body of work over his career is superior to Barbee's.

It's actually reasonable to agree with both statements.

Finally! This is what we have been stating for a long time now.

Barbee > Floyd At UTEP SO FAR
Floyd > Barbee Overall career

Last edited:
I bet if Chihuas alias Epsil would chew Barbee's jock strap if they could.
Can we all feel the love.

Go Miners...

Finally! This is what we have been stating for a long time now.

Barbee > Floyd At UTEP SO FAR
Floyd > Barbee Overall career

Funny, I said the same thing way back in this thread. Someone must have missed it.

I've gone on record, and I'll go again, I did not consider Gillispie's nor Barbee's tenure here a failure. (In my second reply on this thread)

Barbee reached the tourney, great, I loved that year. Does it make him more successful than Floyd? Yeah, at this point. Floyd's tenure is not over though. (In my third reply in this thread)

Bottom line, in my opinion, and supported by former player's statements and other opinions here, Floyd is a better X's and O's and more knowledgeable coach than Barbee ever was. I stated this in a reply to epsi earlier. That is my whole stance. I have not argued nor brought up Floyd's career versus Barbee's. That is not part of my argument, I'm not talking wins versus losses. Simply basketball knowledge and the ability to teach the game. Thank you and goodnight.

I'm not a Floyd hater, however. As I've said before, I don't think he'll make the dance this year, and I don't think he'll be canned this year barring a disaster. But the seat is getting hotter...

I agree. I always hope UTEP makes the Big Dance very year, but right now I just don't see it. I hope my feelings change come January.

I don't think Floyd will ever get fried- even if he has a losing record.

I agree Chi, Floyd will never get fired. Unfortunately we are stuck with him until he decides to resign or retire. Hopefully USC helps us out and hires him after the season after they fire Enfield. But they will hire someone else unfortunately, a better coach.

Well said, that was the story. I will also add that Floyd commented that Jones and his family have a strong work ethic. Also, just to make it clear, the coach that persuaded him to play was the coach at Hobbs.

Nice story.

This war in Ciudad Juarez and throughout their country has been a yin/yang thing for El Paso. It's devastated and uprooted families; but yet has brought a ton of investment into El Paso. The reason I say that is because of the market crash of 2008/2009 had me lose my job, so I had to go solo and many of our neighbors to the south were relocating here to escape the extortion and violence (well, the ones that could afford it and had access), so that helped the El Paso real estate market and me as well.

I agree Chi, Floyd will never get fired. Unfortunately we are stuck with him until he decides to resign or retire. Hopefully USC helps us out and hires him after the season after they fire Enfield. But they will hire someone else unfortunately, a better coach.

giphy.gif

Reactions: shyminer81
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT