ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl News

JCorona

MI Miner Maniac
Jun 15, 2014
By 2020 there will be 43 bowls. Pretty much guaranteeing that if you go .500 you will be in a bowl game. Unless of course you’re like the Aggies and have no conference affiliation. CUSA is expected to add one more bowl tie in. The MW champion still doesn’t have a destination. But it’s looking more and more likely that they will be in one of the newer low end bowls. The bowl situation with the MW might be an indicator of how tv negotiations are going to play out for them very soon. Might want to start unpacking the boxes and settle into CUSA cuz it doesn’t seem it’s going to be any much better over there by the time it’s all said and done.

Pac12 also announced the won’t send 5-7 teams to bowls. If the Aggies or any other independent team go 6-6 or better, they will likely find a bowl spot.

Reactions: El Paso 1
The last independent bowl eligible team to not go bowling was 6-6 Notre Lame in 2009 and that’s because they declined. It’s been a long time since a bowl eligible independent team didn’t go. NMSU and Liberty will have no problems finding a bowl invite. Qualifying for one will be a different issue.

By 2020 there will be 43 bowls. Pretty much guaranteeing that if you go .500 you will be in a bowl game. Unless of course you’re like the Aggies and have no conference affiliation. CUSA is expected to add one more bowl tie in. The MW champion still doesn’t have a destination. But it’s looking more and more likely that they will be in one of the newer low end bowls. The bowl situation with the MW might be an indicator of how tv negotiations are going to play out for them very soon. Might want to start unpacking the boxes and settle into CUSA cuz it doesn’t seem it’s going to be any much better over there by the time it’s all said and done.

NCAA doesn't want to deny a town a chance of that apple bowl pie. But with that being said, the took a kind soul approach after the '08-'09 financial disaster that literally almost sent the country into another major depression. They're not stupid and knew cities needed the revenue. It's a story not much written about but it did happen.

However, last year the feds officially declared the crisis "over" (yes, it was politics because some regions in this country are still hurting) and there is talk that there are way too many bowl games and it's getting watered down and what you are seeing is economic darwinism in it's truest form on the bowl scene. El Paso is good because CBS is dedicated to the Sun Bowl. What you may see is FBS getting shrunk within the next few years. I do agree, UTEP is not going any where and CUSA is home. What they do need to do is start winning more, win some bowl games and get to the NCAA or NIT more often or the Miners will get left behind or UTEPlandia will wind up like NMSU, outside looking in.

The last independent bowl eligible team to not go bowling was 6-6 Notre Lame in 2009 and that’s because they declined. It’s been a long time since a bowl eligible independent team didn’t go. NMSU and Liberty will have no problems finding a bowl invite. Qualifying for one will be a different issue.
There’s a huge difference between Navy, Army, BYU, Notre Dame, and NMSU. In 2002 NMSU finished 7-5 in second place in the Sun Belt and didn’t get a bowl invite. This past year a UTSA team with a winning record was left behind in favor of a couple of .500 teams. It’s going to be very difficult for them to reach .500 and even harder to find a bowl.

The bowl situation has gotten so watered down it's pathetic. UTEP might as well stay where they are and try to lift C-USA up a notch. The Mountain West situation sounds like a sinking ship. Their bowl numbers were never large but they used to get three to four NCAA tournament invites. Now they struggle to get two. I think one year they got as many as five tournament invites. It made the big conferences complain. We see the results now. No one outside the big money conferences get multiple invites.

Reactions: MinerJo
There’s a huge difference between Navy, Army, BYU, Notre Dame, and NMSU. In 2002 NMSU finished 7-5 in second place in the Sun Belt and didn’t get a bowl invite. This past year a UTSA team with a winning record was left behind in favor of a couple of .500 teams. It’s going to be very difficult for them to reach .500 and even harder to find a bowl.
NMSU was a no brainer. Arizona knew NMSU will bring fans because it's basically right next to Los Crotches. It was like the Houston Bowl taking Mike Price to play Colorado. They knew UTEP fans would come out and there are a lot of UTEP alums all over Texas.

After that, the love affair ends. It become un cascara (an empty shell, husk).

It will be extremely difficult for them to get to 6-6, I don’t think it will be that hard to find a bowl. UTSA didn’t make it last year, a few games worked against them, won’t happen every year.

The bowl situation has gotten so watered down it's pathetic. UTEP might as well stay where they are and try to lift C-USA up a notch. The Mountain West situation sounds like a sinking ship. Their bowl numbers were never large but they used to get three to four NCAA tournament invites. Now they struggle to get two. I think one year they got as many as five tournament invites. It made the big conferences complain. We see the results now. No one outside the big money conferences get multiple invites.
The Mountain West sent 6 teams to bowls last year. Their conference champion will most likely be in the Arizona Bowl in 2020, and they will most likely secure a tie-in with the new bowl game being played at Arizona State in 2020. They have sent at least 5 teams to bowls for 11 consecutive years. I don't think the MW will be any different in 2020 than it is now.

The Arizona Bowl has a payout of $155,000. The new bowl might be around the same neighborhood. That’s a steep drop off from the 1.3 million the Las Vegas Bowl was paying.

There have been several articles where the MW is already raising the white flag when it comes to their new tv contract. They’ll try to spin it but the truth is they will no longer be making 1.1 million per team after 2020. I expect them to drop to around 600-800k per team except for maybe Boise St.

If you think sending a least five teams to bowls for 11 straight years is impressive then you’ll be wowed to know CUSA has done it for 15 consecutive years. This past season CUSA had 10 bowl eligible teams tied with the ACC for the most teams in the nation.

The MW will not have a much greener lawn in 2020 compared to CUSA.

The Arizona Bowl has a payout of $155,000. The new bowl might be around the same neighborhood. That’s a steep drop off from the 1.3 million the Las Vegas Bowl was paying.

There have been several articles where the MW is already raising the white flag when it comes to their new tv contract. They’ll try to spin it but the truth is they will no longer be making 1.1 million per team after 2020. I expect them to drop to around 600-800k per team except for maybe Boise St.

If you think sending a least five teams to bowls for 11 straight years is impressive then you’ll be wowed to know CUSA has done it for 15 consecutive years. This past season CUSA had 10 bowl eligible teams tied with the ACC for the most teams in the nation.

The MW will not have a much greener lawn in 2020 compared to CUSA.

You’re basing that on one qualification for one sport. CUSA is behind the MWC in almost every metric for all sports. CUSA also has 2 more teams, so it should have more bowl teams than them every year.

You can put any shade of lipstick on this CUSA pig. It’s still a pig. MWC is head and shoulders above CUSA, with or without the Vegas Bowl

You’re basing that on one qualification for one sport. CUSA is behind the MWC in almost every metric for all sports. CUSA also has 2 more teams, so it should have more bowl teams than them every year.

You can put any shade of lipstick on this CUSA pig. It’s still a pig. MWC is head and shoulders above CUSA, with or without the Vegas Bowl
Correction the MW used to be head and shoulders above CUSA when they had TCU, Utah, and BYU now it’s just Boise and the 11 dwarfs. Boise has only won the division title once in the last four years. The other members are mumbling about the special treatment they are getting.

If the MW is so much better than CUSA then why aren’t bowls lining up with cash ready to take their champion. Our champion will play in the HOD bowl which pays 1.2 million theirs will play in a bowl that had two MW teams in their Inagural season.

I know you’re anti UTEP and anti El Paso and everyone else is doing better than us but the writing is on the walls. CUSA has been slowing catching up to the MW and it all seems poised to be on equal footing by 2020 or at least 40/60.

How many football teams has the MWC sent to the BCS/NY6 games? How many has CUSA sent?

You’re trying to pass off the HOD bowl as something great? Really? They had 20,000 there last year and CUSA wasn’t even in it. UNT can’t even get past 40k there. It’s trash and just another bowl.

This has nothing to do with UTEP and El Paso. It’s MWC vs CUSA. They have a better teams and arenas/stadiums, TV contract, cities, etc.

CUSA fvcking sucks and UTEP can’t even win anything in it. Track and women’s sports don’t count for your future rebuttal.

How many football teams has the MWC sent to the BCS/NY6 games? How many has CUSA sent?

You’re trying to pass off the HOD bowl as something great? Really? They had 20,000 there last year and CUSA wasn’t even in it. UNT can’t even get past 40k there. It’s trash and just another bowl.

This has nothing to do with UTEP and El Paso. It’s MWC vs CUSA. They have a better teams and arenas/stadiums, TV contract, cities, etc.

CUSA fvcking sucks and UTEP can’t even win anything in it. Track and women’s sports don’t count for your future rebuttal.
Current teams that have played in a BCS/Acces bowl while members of the MW is 1 to 0 for CUSA. FAU is in the discussion to tie things up this coming year.

Getting paid 1.2 million sure sounds better than 155k trash or not.

Like I said and if you would do some reading the MW is poised to take a pay cut in the TV contract coming up. I’m sure Logan, Laramie, Boise are so much better than Houston, DFW, San Antonio, Charlotte, Miami, Boca Raton and Norfolk. You really need to get out more and visit other cities.

CUSA sucks but so is the direction the MW is heading towards. If UTEP fans really want to leave the goal should be the AAC not a lateral move to the west.

Reactions: chicotown
Current teams that have played in a BCS/Acces bowl while members of the MW is 1 to 0 for CUSA. FAU is in the discussion to tie things up this coming year.

Like I said and if you would do some reading the MW is poised to take a pay cut in the TV contract coming up. I’m sure Logan, Laramie, Boise are so much better than Houston, DFW, San Antonio, Charlotte, Miami, Boca Raton and Norfolk. You really need to get out more and visit other cities.

CUSA sucks but so is the direction the MW is heading towards. If UTEP fans really want to leave the goal should be the AAC not a lateral move to the west.

If you were a TV exec, you would rather have UNT, UTSA, FIU, Charlotte, Rice and ODU over Boise St? After all, you have all those big markets.....

Funny that you leave out Las Vegas and San Diego in your argument. Those teams actually have penetration in their own market, unlike UNT, Rice, FIU and so-on.

Nice info Corona. Looks like the MW may be dipping as well in football/TV revenue. I think ths AAC has quickly become the top mid-major conference in both mens sports. It would be a great destination for UTEP, but geographically and historically UTEP should be in the MW. I know it's all about football, money and wins, but being a huge basketball fan I want the MW. We just need to start winning in CUSA and beat teams from the AAC and MW whenever we get the opportunity.

Can you please list a matchup with 2 like CUSA schools? Has a UTEP vs FIU game had 433k viewers?
So you want to compare two of the worst teams in CUSA to the two best teams in the MW? Since the matchup of 2016 FIU vs UTEP pitted two teams that finished 4-8. And I provided a matchup between a ranked Boise St Mountain division leader vs the West Division leader. Not surprised at all by your logic. You really are the smartest UTEP fan in the whole universe.

If you want me to compare similar conference games that occurred on the same channel around the same time sure why not.

Week 8 ESPN2 Marshall vs MTSU (453k)
Week 8 ESPN2 Wyoming vs Boise St (414k)
Week 8 ESPN2 UNM vs Colorado St (319k)

Whatever dude. I’ll be here in two years once the MW tv contract is reduced to CUSA levels. If you want to eat crow fine, if not I don’t care. You and your buddy will just create another username and never take responsibility when you’re wrong. I don’t give a fu$k. Think whatever you want know it all.

Another good thread hijacked by the trolls down the proverbial rabbit hole. What a shame.

12.jpg

If you want me to compare similar conference games that occurred on the same channel around the same time sure why not.

Week 8 ESPN2 Marshall vs MTSU (453k)
Week 8 ESPN2 Wyoming vs Boise St (414k)
Week 8 ESPN2 UNM vs Colorado St (319k)

The Marshall game was at 7pm EST and the UNM game was at 1015pm EST. How is that comparable? Those games were on Friday and the Boise game, again at 1015pm EST kickoff was on a Saturday. Of course you cherry picked a better slot on a non-traditional day.

Maybe you want to look at week 13 and see 2 MWC teams Utah St and Air Force, with a 1030pm kickoff on ESPNU get 288k, but it’s lead-in game at 730pm of UTSA vs LaTech only got 81k. The 3 hour later kickoff somehow gained 207k viewers.

Weird how the early game with a better tv slot had better numbers than a later game with teams from “non-Norfolk-esque” cities like Logan and Colorado Springs.

Another good thread hijacked by the trolls down the proverbial rabbit hole. What a shame.

12.jpg

Yeah great. Another thread highlighted with maybes and hearsay, instead of facts. Where has the MWC champion been announced to? Has the Las Vegas Bowl itself said the MWC is out? Has the new MWC tv contract been signed?

Nope, just Corona taking “info” from the CUSA board and presenting it as fact. Pretty much the usual for him and others.

The Marshall game was at 7pm EST and the UNM game was at 1015pm EST. How is that comparable? Those games were on Friday and the Boise game, again at 1015pm EST kickoff was on a Saturday. Of course you cherry picked a better slot on a non-traditional day.

Maybe you want to look at week 13 and see 2 MWC teams Utah St and Air Force, with a 1030pm kickoff on ESPNU get 288k, but it’s lead-in game at 730pm of UTSA vs LaTech only got 81k. The 3 hour later kickoff somehow gained 207k viewers.

Weird how the early game with a better tv slot had better numbers than a later game with teams from “non-Norfolk-esque” cities like Logan and Colorado Springs.
For one smart a$$ the UTSA vs La Tech was streamed on ESPNU the Utah St vs AirForce was on ESPN2 but once again great comparison with your apples to oranges. I didn’t cherry pick anything. I found conference games in the same week on the same channel. Understand smartest fan ever?

Thanks for proving my point and what the MW commissioner and AD have been saying. The late kickoffs are killing them and it’s not worth the money.

I never doubted that, but MWC has better, more high profile teams and gets better ratings. Yeah UNM sucks, but the rest of the US will turn into a UNM game over Charlotte and UTSA any day, any time.

Are reports 100% accurate? The Vegas Bowl wants 2 P5 teams, does that mean they’re going to get them? If I want to be AD at UTEP, does that mean I will get it just because I want it? Do you know what sources the ESPN reporter has? Didn’t ESPN accuse Sean Miller of paying players? How did that turnout?

If they take a pay cut, that’s their deal, it’s doesn’t mean that CUSA is superior or will be on TV more. Good for them.

The Las Vegas Bowl isn’t “prestigious”, but if you insist..... Well, until they do, you can’t say they’ve been kicked out.

There is a big difference, but the principle remains the same, you don’t always get what you want.

Whether the leagues get better or worse, the MWC is a better fit for UTEP. Even if the roles were reversed, I would rather see UTEP in the MWC than CUSA. ODU, Marshall, and F_U don’t belong on UTEP’s conference schedule.

The Las Vegas Bowl isn’t “prestigious”, but if you insist..... Well, until they do, you can’t say they’ve been kicked out.

There is a big difference, but the principle remains the same, you don’t always get what you want.

Whether the leagues get better or worse, the MWC is a better fit for UTEP. Even if the roles were reversed, I would rather see UTEP in the MWC than CUSA. ODU, Marshall, and F_U don’t belong on UTEP’s conference schedule.
Ok dude I’m getting a headache. In the next few months once the sources are confirmed and the Las Vegas Bowl pits a PAC 12 vs SEC or another P5 will you admit you were wrong? Will you admit that ESPN journalist don’t just speak out of their a$$ and actually have sources with insider information? Will you admit that unlike you they have a reputation to uphold and would not put out false information for clicks?

Where did I say that wasn’t going to happen? I merely stated it hasn’t happened yet, but you are presenting it as a fact. Where did I say the LV Bowl will be a MWC Bowl?

Sometimes they do, see the example of Sean Miller I gave.

Reputation? Do you think I care about what “utep2step”, “MikeSarabia” and you think about me? Lol

Would you be willing to bet a big amount of money this doesn’t occur? Quite frankly put your money where your mouth is. Or stop acting like your some hotshot with insider information.

I never said it wasn’t happening. Didn’t you read that earlier? Just saying, it hasn’t happened yet.

If the Arizona Bowl takes the MWC champ, I guarantee the payout will increase. Your figures are based on who plays there now. If Conference USA is so great, why would the Arizona Bowl drop them for a Sun Belt Tie in? Even the Sun Belt has 5 Bowl tie ins.
You can't guess how this is going to pan out for 2020. It is pure speculation, especially the television revenue.

If the Arizona Bowl takes the MWC champ, I guarantee the payout will increase. Your figures are based on who plays there now. If Conference USA is so great, why would the Arizona Bowl drop them for a Sun Belt Tie in? Even the Sun Belt has 5 Bowl tie ins.
You can't guess how this is going to pan out for 2020. It is pure speculation, especially the television revenue.
Do you have a source that guarantees it will increase cuz according to the bff’s you can’t say stuff like that until it happens. Even if you have a legitimate source you still can’t say it until it happens. I’m surprised the bffs liked your comment. They do contradict themselves much.

I’m not saying CUSA is so great. I’ve been saying MW isn’t that great anymore. All UTEP fans need to get over them. They left us behind. They didn’t want us.

CUSA let that cheap bowl go in exchange for an eastern bowl. Since 13/14 CUSA teams are in either central or eastern time zone. Makes sense.

The bffs can keep defending everything anti UTEP and the rest can keep waiting for the MW to call.

Yeah great. Another thread highlighted with maybes and hearsay, instead of facts. Where has the MWC champion been announced to? Has the Las Vegas Bowl itself said the MWC is out? Has the new MWC tv contract been signed?

Nope, just Corona taking “info” from the CUSA board and presenting it as fact. Pretty much the usual for him and others.

With Las Vegas bringing in the NFL's Raiders, it's expected that the Las Vegas Bowl will be played in the new NFL stadium instead of Sam Boyd Stadium. It's expected that the profile of the Las Vegas Bowl will rise with the new stadium. Couple that with Las Vegas being a destination city and I fully expect the Vegas Bowl to rise in the pecking order and secure tie-ins to P5 conferences.

Reactions: jdubb66
The Las Vegas bowl would have to be run by morons, if they can’t get a big time sponsor with that stadium and city. For sure they will be moving up the pecking order.

12.jpg

Come September, will see how Dimel has this team going. So either way, good or bad, this place will pick up. Just get some cold beer, beef jerky and pop corn and sit back and relax. Smoke a cigar, too and watch how UTEP fans form a circle and yell "Fire!". We do it to each other every year.

Reactions: minerfan_14
Come September, will see how Dimel has this team going. So either way, good or bad, this place will pick up. Just get some cold beer, beef jerky and pop corn and sit back and relax. Smoke a cigar, too and watch how UTEP fans form a circle and yell "Fire!". We do it to each other every year.
cigarpairing101416.jpg

Alcohol penis impairment syndrome is just a fancy name for whiskey dick.

At least AAC is in the conversation to be the 6th major. More than they were 4 years ago when they were grouped with us. Aresco has done a great job as their commissioner.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT