ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl News

This is the conference we should be aiming for. That’s what I’ve been saying through this thread and others. F$ck the MW. They didn’t want us in 98 they didn’t want us last year when they considered adding us and RICE and they ain’t going to want us in 2020 when their tv money worsens.

Time to move on.

Get comfortable in CUSA cuz we ain’t going anywhere.

This is the conference we should be aiming for. That’s what I’ve been saying through this thread and others. F$ck the MW. They didn’t want us in 98 they didn’t want us last year when they considered adding us and RICE and they ain’t going to want us in 2020 when their tv money worsens.

Time to move on.

Get comfortable in CUSA cuz we ain’t going anywhere.

I would rather compete there than the MW. Yes, there are those who will say “our natural rivals are Wyoming, BYU, etc”. I’m sorry, maybe 50 years ago but we need to move forward. I am NOT knocking those who may feel that way/have memories but come on. We have to adjust to what we can. C-USA was great for the “let’s stay with Texas teams” but I want us to be in a conference where we’re able to compete and excel against others and improve.

Yes, get comfortable in C-USA and let’s make UTSA/UNT/Rice hate us as interstate rivals.

Just my opinion and mine alone before we get in the typical arguments.

Winning cures all. When we win the fans will come back. When you make money other conferences will take notice. Then look at your options. Right now we are in CUSA, so let’s kick ass in every sport.
GO MINERS
Right, the biggest let down for UTEP has been the lack of performance on the field, especially in football. Conferences won't look at any school whose football team is 0-12. we have to establish our brand by winning and winning big, not just existing in D-1. We're lucky to be in CUSA given our recent athletic successes, Winston Dimel and the track team not withstanding.

The sad thing is, if we don't get it turned around by the time the next TV contracts are negotiated, we might be further relegated into obscurity. Some believe there will be another conference shift around the mid 2020's due to contracts expiring. If we're not showing major results by then, we don't be going anywhere.

Right, the biggest let down for UTEP has been the lack of performance on the field, especially in football. Conferences won't look at any school whose football team is 0-12. we have to establish our brand by winning and winning big, not just existing in D-1. We're lucky to be in CUSA given our recent athletic successes, Winston Dimel and the track team not withstanding.

The sad thing is, if we don't get it turned around by the time the next TV contracts are negotiated, we might be further relegated into obscurity. Some believe there will be another conference shift around the mid 2020's due to contracts expiring. If we're not showing major results by then, we don't be going anywhere.
Very reue

I am such a big fan of the Sun Bowl that whenever I hear that the NCAA approves additional games I wonder I far down the Sun Bowl drops in the pecking order.

I am such a big fan of the Sun Bowl that whenever I hear that the NCAA approves additional games I wonder I far down the Sun Bowl drops in the pecking order.
We don’t have to worry about the new Arizona and Myrtle Beach bowl since they will feature G5 teams.

The Las Vegas Bowl will certainly pass us in the pecking order.

The Chicago Bowl might give us some competition since the Cubs will only agree if the bowl can secure one of the better Big 10 teams. They don’t want a team that finished 6th or below. Also the opponent will be from the ACC so that might mean that they’ll send the better team over there and give us a lower rated team. The details should be announced by the end of the month.

It’s called reading reports. The Las Vegas Bowl has said they want two P5 teams. The ESPN reporter is saying the probable outcome is one of the new Arizona Bowls. The MW commissioner and AD’s have said they are considering taking a pay cut in order to provide more friendly kickoffs for their teams. Link below
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...oney-versus-controlling-game-times/107671558/

Do you read any of the links I post or do you just come and blah away with all your unlimited knowledge?

Oh man, looks like the MWC hasn't been banished from Las Vegas yet. Hopefully Corona won't spread any more rumors while he tries to tell us CUSA is better than the MWC.

He has less than 5k followers not a reliable source. Right shovelshits?

He works for the major newspaper in Las Vegas and has a blue check. The guy you're talking about had no check, ex-assistant coach and a true nobody. That guy was giving his opinion on Terry, this guy is giving actual news. Whatever makes you sleep at night though.

He works for the major newspaper in Las Vegas and has a blue check. The guy you're talking about had no check, ex-assistant coach and a true nobody. That guy was giving his opinion on Terry, this guy is giving actual news. Whatever makes you sleep at night though.
Anyway you wanna spin it you’ll still be wrong. Sure it will be a bowl in Las Vegas but it won’t be the Las Vegas Bowl. Or are we now going to call the HOD bowl the Cotton Bowl? It’s in Dallas and it’s played at Cotton Bowl Stadium. Big difference.

Anyway you wanna spin it you’ll still be wrong. Sure it will be a bowl in Las Vegas but it won’t be the Las Vegas Bowl. Or are we now going to call the HOD bowl the Cotton Bowl? It’s in Dallas and it’s played at Cotton Bowl Stadium. Big difference.
I really don't understand what point you are trying to make? As long as the bowl pits the MWC champion against a similar opponent and the payout is on par, they can call it the Shovelman bowl and no one will care.
If the game is played in the new stadium as planned and moved to after Christmas rather than Dec 15th, the payout may actually be more than it was before. Regardless the MWC is limited to 6 bowl tie ins and CUSA 7. There are only so many games that they go to and all of this is pure speculation until the new contracts are done, and there is no surety that CUSA tie ins will not change either.

Reactions: El Paso 1
I really don't understand what point you are trying to make? As long as the bowl pits the MWC champion against a similar opponent and the payout is on par, they can call it the Shovelman bowl and no one will care.
If the game is played in the new stadium as planned and moved to after Christmas rather than Dec 15th, the payout may actually be more than it was before. Regardless the MWC is limited to 6 bowl tie ins and CUSA 7. There are only so many games that they go to and all of this is pure speculation until the new contracts are done, and there is no surety that CUSA tie ins will not change either.
That’s the thing the opponent will probably not be a P5 anymore and the payout will be lower. Any new G5 vs G5 bowl will not come with a 1.4 million payout.

The point I’m making is that all those fans asking for a move to the MW are really just asking to move next door. There is no incentive for any G5 conference to expand past 12 members. Any move to the MW will come at the expense of them losing a member or two. Further diluting their conference and bringing it down on par to CUSA.

Get comfy in CUSA because this is our home. Let’s do everything we can to help CUSA catch up to the MW and eventually surpass it.

Reactions: HeWore62
That’s the thing the opponent will probably not be a P5 anymore and the payout will be lower. Any new G5 vs G5 bowl will not come with a 1.4 million payout.

The point I’m making is that all those fans asking for a move to the MW are really just asking to move next door. There is no incentive for any G5 conference to expand past 12 members. Any move to the MW will come at the expense of them losing a member or two. Further diluting their conference and bringing it down on par to CUSA.

Get comfy in CUSA because this is our home. Let’s do everything we can to help CUSA catch up to the MW and eventually surpass it.
C-USA will not pass the MWC. C-USA is basically Sin Belt 2.0 there is no difference between C-Usa and the Sun Belt. Whatever bowl The MWC plays in Vegas will be better than anything C-USA has. The local government in Vegas takes care of UNLV. They got a great deal to play in the new stadium. We already turned the MWC down twice, those decisions has been the worst in UTEP history. We better not get comfortable in C-USA because I guarantee you UNT and UTSA will do everything they can to get to the MWC.

C-USA will not pass the MWC. C-USA is basically Sin Belt 2.0 there is no difference between C-Usa and the Sun Belt. Whatever bowl The MWC plays in Vegas will be better than anything C-USA has. The local government in Vegas takes care of UNLV. They got a great deal to play in the new stadium. We already turned the MWC down twice, those decisions has been the worst in UTEP history. We better not get comfortable in C-USA because I guarantee you UNT and UTSA will do everything they can to get to the MWC.
Well in that case the MW is basically the Mountian WAC Conference. The truth is and it’s all backed up by stats is that there is not much difference from any of the G5 conferences as far as the level of play. The AAC does stand out from the rest of us. They have a much better tv deal, bowl line ups, and quality of teams. That’s the problem with UTEP and the fan base. We always want to settle for second place instead of aiming to be the best we can. Our ambitions should be to get into the AAC.

As far as guaranteeing UTSA and UNT to the MW I wouldn’t be so sure. UTSA turned down a MW invite in favor of CUSA 3.0. We’ve heard reports about RICE wanting into the MW but nothing from UNT.

Right, nobody cares what the bowl name is and how long it's been there. Locals don't go to the LV Bowl now and they won't ever. It's not the Sun Bowl. MWC is far better than CUSA, that's a fact by every measurement.

UTEP is stuck in CUSA until they win and make themselves presentable to the MWC. Winning comes first.

At least AAC is in the conversation to be the 6th major. More than they were 4 years ago when they were grouped with us. Aresco has done a great job as their commissioner.

Some interesting comparative data and an opinion (posted by coogam on the UH board). Somebody on this board said AAC was going to take a haircut next go-round. Doubtful. Highly doubtful.

Lots of speculation but anybody who says they know how the upcoming bowl situation is going to shake out is caca crazy. One persistent rumor is an AAC hook up with the Liberty Bowl (AAC champion) and the Las Vegas Bowl (AAC runner up). More speculaton about AAC getting a NY6 spot. We'll see...

Here are the facts...This is why the AAC is going to get paid.....

'15-'17 total games over 3 million viewers: AAC 21, mwc 3, MAC 3, BYU 4
'15-'17 total games over 2 million viewers: AAC 37, CUSA 6, MAC 9, mwc 11, SBC 2, BYU 6
'15-'17 total games over 1 million viewers: AAC 58, CUSA 23, MAC 21, mwc 31, SBC 3, BYU 13

'15-'17 non-bowl games over 3 million viewers: AAC 15, MAC 2, BYU 2
'15-'17 non-bowl games over 2 million viewers: AAC 25, CUSA 3, MAC 1, mwc 5, BYU 3
'15-'17 non-bowl games over 1 million viewers: AAC 39, CUSA 3, MAC 6, mwc 16, SBC 1, BYU 11,

'15-'17 conference controlled games over 3 million viewers: AAC 8, G4s 0, BYU 0
'15-'17 conference controlled games over 2 million viewers: AAC 14, mwc 1, BYU 2
'15-'17 conference controlled games over 1 million viewers: AAC 24, MAC 2, mwc 3, BYU 6

The AAC is looking for a total media payout of close to $12 million per year as per the Memphis AD who chairs the AAC Committee on Media. I think they get it... I also think in 2025 they get a tie in to a NY6 Bowl

Last edited:
That is great info. Thanks for posting. Very interesting read and based on facts and not conjecture.

I doubt the AAC or anyone else will get a new years six tie in. The power five will poach a few schools from the AAC and MWC before 2025.

So the article I posted where the MW AD’s and commissioner discuss taking a potential paycut to improve kickoff is conjecture? And the article I posted by McMurphy where his sources say the Las Vegas is looking to replace the MW with a Big 10 team is conjucture? But a message board member who thinks the AAC gets a NY6 bowl tie in in 2025 is a fact? Ok.

So the article I posted where the MW AD’s and commissioner discuss taking a potential paycut to improve kickoff is conjecture? And the article I posted by McMurphy where his sources say the Las Vegas is looking to replace the MW with a Big 10 team is conjucture? But a message board member who thinks the AAC gets a NY6 bowl tie in in 2025 is a fact? Ok.

Good grief, Carona, who gave you a wedgie? Nobody's questioning your "sources". My post clearly identified points of opinion, rumor, and speculation as just that, including the possibility of an AAC tie-in with an NY6 bowl in 2025, especially if it continues to put up those TV viewership numbers.

And BTW, you think the LV Bowl is ONLY talking with the B10? You can be sure Mike Aresco is in the discussion. Just for conversation, you think they'd rather have, say, a B10 #6 or the AAC runner up? Or maybe both? Every bowl is currently angling for optimal conference tie-ins, it's all about negotiation, money and politics.

So yes, as I said earlier, anybody who says they've got it figured out at this point really is caca crazy.

First of all the Athletic Directors are discussing a thousand things and that is only one of them. Secondly the fact that you dismiss anything by Mark Anderson (the main writer of MWC for the Las Vegas Review Journal) because he doesn't have followers on twitter tells me that you are trying to cherry pick anything that predicts a great demise of the MW. Your stories are just as good as any of the other ones and you do not know what is going to happen. It is all based on conjecture but I would believe a writer that lives in Vegas and focuses on the MW more than I would any other.

He does not know anything. He gets his info from the "CUSA board" and then comes and touts them as fact. I'm sure the "Las Vegas Bowl" would like to up it's standing in the bowl pecking order, who wouldn't. He came here saying the MWC was out, when they might be part of a new bowl. Again, might. They could end up in the Arizona Bowl, but until there's an announcement from the conference or bowl, it's not a done deal.

First of all the Athletic Directors are discussing a thousand things and that is only one of them. Secondly the fact that you dismiss anything by Mark Anderson (the main writer of MWC for the Las Vegas Review Journal) because he doesn't have followers on twitter tells me that you are trying to cherry pick anything that predicts a great demise of the MW. Your stories are just as good as any of the other ones and you do not know what is going to happen. It is all based on conjecture but I would believe a writer that lives in Vegas and focuses on the MW more than I would any other.
I’m not dismissing anything Anderson says it’s a jab at shovelman since he in the past has dismissed any praise for Terry because the person saying it had less than 5k followers. His tweet further gives evidence that the MW is preparing to lose the Las Vegas Bowl as McMurphy stated weeks earlier. The creation of a second Bow in Las Vegas is an indication of that. As Anderson says “better chance if there is a second game” so he’s also aware that the MW is on the chopping block for the Las Vegas Bowl.

Those stats posted by LaserCoog also prove my point that the MW isn’t some great league. Like I’ve stated all along yes the MW is better but not by much over CUSA. Our ultimate goal should be to join a conference that’s looking to make “12 million per year” instead of a lateral move.

He does not know anything. He gets his info from the "CUSA board" and then comes and touts them as fact. I'm sure the "Las Vegas Bowl" would like to up it's standing in the bowl pecking order, who wouldn't. He came here saying the MWC was out, when they might be part of a new bowl. Again, might. They could end up in the Arizona Bowl, but until there's an announcement from the conference or bowl, it's not a done deal.
Again shovelman all I did was post a link to the McMurphy article where his sources say the Las Vegas Bowl is dropping them. Same thing you did with the Anderson tweet.

You’re right I don’t know anything except what I read.

I’m not dismissing anything Anderson says it’s a jab at shovelman since he in the past has dismissed any praise for Terry because the person saying it had less than 5k followers. His tweet further gives evidence that the MW is preparing to lose the Las Vegas Bowl as McMurphy stated weeks earlier. The creation of a second Bow in Las Vegas is an indication of that. As Anderson says “better chance if there is a second game” so he’s also aware that the MW is on the chopping block for the Las Vegas Bowl.

Those stats posted by LaserCoog also prove my point that the MW isn’t some great league. Like I’ve stated all along yes the MW is better but not by much over CUSA. Our ultimate goal should be to join a conference that’s looking to make “12 million per year” instead of a lateral move.
Unfortunately LaserCoog's post shows that about 45 million more viewers watched MW football than CUSA. I really don't see us as close to that league nor the AAC. If we ever get invited to the AAC it will be due to some of their schools joining other conferences and it will be CUSA all over again. It will be a shell of itself.

Unfortunately LaserCoog's post shows that about 45 million more viewers watched MW football than CUSA. I really don't see us as close to that league nor the AAC. If we ever get invited to the AAC it will be due to some of their schools joining other conferences and it will be CUSA all over again. It will be a shell of itself.
In a three year span I count 27 million more for the MW. It’s still an advantage for them but when you compare those MW numbers to the AAC they’re a lot closer to CUSA than they are to the American. A lot of variables involved due to OOC P5 scheduling and bowl matchups. When comparing conference controlled games it’s only 4 million more.

I would think the same would apply to any move to the MW. It will only come at the expense of them losing a team or two.

Call me a homer or whatever but I view the MW as a rival conference. I ride hard for my teams. I’ll continue to find any weaknesses in rivals to expose. If you and any other fan want to continue glorifying a league that left us to die well that’s your decision. If we ever make a move I’ll shift my loyalties to the new conference.

In a three year span I count 27 million more for the MW. It’s still an advantage for them but when you compare those MW numbers to the AAC they’re a lot closer to CUSA than they are to the American. A lot of variables involved due to OOC P5 scheduling and bowl matchups. When comparing conference controlled games it’s only 4 million more.

I would think the same would apply to any move to the MW. It will only come at the expense of them losing a team or two.

Call me a homer or whatever but I view the MW as a rival conference. I ride hard for my teams. I’ll continue to find any weaknesses in rivals to expose. If you and any other fan want to continue glorifying a league that left us to die well that’s your decision. If we ever make a move I’ll shift my loyalties to the new conference.

"and so it is" JCorona just confirmed that he wants to make UTEP great again ... Think BIG and results will happen ..

"and so it is" JCorona just confirmed that he wants to make UTEP great again ... Think BIG and results will happen ..
Finishing 3rd in CUSA West in football is not out of the realm of possibility. With Metz/Locksley and a solid rb by committee that includes Dimel's son and throw in a real post modern FBS passing game and the sky is the limit.:p

Finishing 3rd in CUSA West in football is not out of the realm of possibility. With Metz/Locksley and a solid rb by committee that includes Dimel's son and throw in a real post modern FBS passing game and the sky is the limit.:p

I like the way you think ... I got my season tickets and headed to Vegas to watch the game ... get on the MINER train now and enjoy the ride ..

Let's hope the athletic department thinks big as well. Stull never did, and that was the problem.

Produces more than negative energy.

Yeah, you're right. Negative and positive energy outweigh poor coaching decisions and poor play. Too bad there wasn't more positive energy around last year. Our 0-12 football team was just missing some positive energy to make our players better.

Same with basketball, too bad there wasn't more positive energy directed toward Kelvin Jones and Keith Frazier. Imagine the possibilities with all the positive energy they should have received.

Players and coaches win and lose games, not fans. UTEP has probably lost most of their highest attended football games over the years. Too bad those fans didn't give more positive energy to will the team to victory .

Let's hope the athletic department thinks big as well. Stull never did, and that was the problem.

Stull didn't "think big" because he didn't have to. He knew he had 5,000 Miner Morons buying basketball season tickets and 15,000 Miner Morons buying football season tickets every year. The fans told him, "we don't want wins, we're buying anyway". "These coaches just need xx years more, despite their poor performance".

If you continue to pay for crap, the person taking the money has no incentive to improve or change their ways. Pretty simple.

Produces more than negative energy.

Not necessarily. I could think big and say I want the corner office and want to make a half million dollars a year. Thinking big doesn't help me get there. What helps me get there is hard work and even some luck.

Reactions: KaneFan29
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT