ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

This is the quote I was disputing:

"We had around 35,000 in the stands even when we were not winning under Price"

That is 100% false. You claimed (if you take into account ALL the Price years) that the average attendance was 35,516.

I doesn't take a genius to conclude that the average was much less when they were losing.

FAU won 11 games last year, when has UTEP done that?

NMSU won a bowl game last year, when has UTEP done that?

WMU went to the Cotton Bowl and finished ranked in the Top 25, when has UTEP done that?

They haven't, but if they did imagine how crazy the sun bowl would get? UTEP is a sleeping giant, just need to start winning and great things will happen. It's proven we support a winner, and we support a loser more than other teams support their winners. ha ha if you can follow that.

They haven't, but if they did imagine how crazy the sun bowl would get? UTEP is a sleeping giant, just need to start winning and great things will happen. It's proven we support a winner, and we support a loser more than other teams support their winners. ha ha if you can follow that.

Complete agreely. UTEP is the only game in town and that definitely helps. I won't get my hopes up, but I hope great things happen soon.

Reactions: ELPGREEN

Exactly. It will get nuts if UTEP can get to that level. Problem is, there's fans that don't give props to teams doing more with less. If those teams can do it, so can UTEP.

Reactions: El Paso 777
This is the quote I was disputing:

"We had around 35,000 in the stands even when we were not winning under Price"

That is 100% false. You claimed (if you take into account ALL the Price years) that the average attendance was 35,516.

I doesn't take a genius to conclude that the average was much less when they were losing.
It doesn't take a genius to twist things around. You can take the game with the lowest number of fans and guess at the number of fans and call that an average. Under Price I would venture to estimate that the least number of fans any one game was between 20,000 to 25,000 and there were some sell outs or near sell outs.

At least they win.

FAU's fans (all 1000 of them) are hard to understand. This past season they were one of the most media-hyped teams in America (Lane got lots of Love from his friends at ESPN). But their attendance was horrific. In some of their games, they had just a few thousand in the stands.

FAU's fans (all 1000 of them) are hard to understand. This past season they were one of the most media-hyped teams in America (Lane got lots of Love from his friends at ESPN). But their attendance was horrific. In some of their games, they had just a few thousand in the stands.

They were probably at the beach.

That’s three years in a row the CUSA championship game had 16k fans or fewer. If UTEP ever had a good enough season to host the championship game there would easily be 40-50k in attendance.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
That’s three years in a row the CUSA championship game had 16k fans or fewer. If UTEP ever had a good enough season to host the championship game there would easily be 40-50k in attendance.

It would sell out very quickly if that happened.

Agree. Not only would El Pasoans attend the game, but Miner fans from all over the country would flock to the Sun Bowl for that.

Reactions: JCorona
Doubt that. Hard to travel with less then a weeks notice. Unless you're coming from Albuquerque, etc.

Fair enough. I’d find a way to do it, though. Pretty sure many others would too. Of course we could argue all day long about what “many others” means, but...

Reactions: Lil_Train
Fair enough. I’d find a way to do it, though. Pretty sure many others would too. Of course we could argue all day long about what “many others” means, but...
With the large alumni base in central Texas it’s really not that hard to plan out an 8hr weekend drive back to the sun city with a weeks notice.

If the hosting team cannot average 20K they should not be able to host. Regardless of the outcome of the game it makes the conference look bad

With the large alumni base in central Texas it’s really not that hard to plan out an 8hr weekend drive back to the sun city with a weeks notice.

The statement was 'all over the country', not Texas. Very few Miner fans east of the Mississippi are making a trip to the CUSA championship. Especially since its the week after Thanksgiving, some will have already traveled and there would be an upcoming bowl trip a month later.

So, not that many outside of Texas would make the trip.

The statement was 'all over the country', not Texas. Very few Miner fans east of the Mississippi are making a trip to the CUSA championship. Especially since its the week after Thanksgiving, some will have already traveled and there would be an upcoming bowl trip a month later.

It probably wouldn’t do any good for me to clarify that I’m not suggesting the masses would come from “all over the country”, but rather that Miner fans from all parts of the map would make it in. Not sure how old you are but there is an “older” portion of the fan base that would jump at the opportunity to see the Miners in the conference championship, especially if it’s in EP. Since you talk with such surety, I can do the same thing. I guarantee you if it happens, there will be people from all quadrants of the map that show up for it. Guaranteed.

Agreed, plus the game is on Saturday morning. If people have kids that would be very tough to do on a week's notice.

Reactions: unihom
It probably wouldn’t do any good for me to clarify that I’m not suggesting the masses would come from “all over the country”, but rather that Miner fans from all parts of the map would make it in. Not sure how old you are but there is an “older” portion of the fan base that would jump at the opportunity to see the Miners in the conference championship, especially if it’s in EP. Since you talk with such surety, I can do the same thing. I guarantee you if it happens, there will be people from all quadrants of the map that show up for it. Guaranteed.
giphy.gif

Correct. The Miners also have an international fanbase. Juarez makes it international.

giphy.gif

Correct. The Miners also have an international fanbase. Juarez makes it international.

Good lord. We’ve got another one.

You were the smart ass who felt the need to call my comment out. Hence the clarification. But you, on the other hand, add so much to the conversation. Let me tell ya.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966

What has not been discussed is out west. UTEP has boosters and many out west.

Reactions: Lil_Train

I think this is true. Older generation of miner fans will show up.

Go Miners...

Reactions: MineroFanatico
For those who prefer Rivals Rankings they have us as the 11th best class in CUSA. I wouldn’t call them very reliable since they don’t even list all the teams in the conference.

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2018/cusa/football

I’m just playing devil’s advocate here but UTEP has the lowest average/recruit out of the “13” C-USA teams. But because they signed so many players they are ranked higher due to the fact that the classes are ranked based on total points. Take it with a grain of salt.

UTEP did a great job given the circumstances. Next year should be better given the excitement around the program and the fact that the coaches have a full year to recruit.

This has been a good thread don’t **** it up.
Wait until tonight when UTEP bball blows a lead and another game. Football will get intermingled with basketball and mix it in with alcohol.... aye Dios Mio!

e7b54bc3a2a283c422556d71445bed2e.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT