ADVERTISEMENT

If UTEP wants to replace the 3 cancelled games....

IMO people with expensive tastes require a high salary. I strive to reach the 24% tax bracket.

Obviously if you want a $50k car and $500,000 car you need more money.

But it's moronic to say that $80k "doesn't go far" in most cities.

My goals aren't money driven. I spend wisely and that's how my money goes far.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Obviously if you want a $50k car and $500,000 car you need more money.

But it's moronic to say that $80k "doesn't go far" in most cities.

My goals aren't money driven. I spend wisely and that's how my money goes far.
What if that’s the lifestyle someone wants to live? Wouldn’t it be moronic to say you can afford to provide a 500k home and a new suv on a 35k salary?

What if that’s the lifestyle someone wants to live? Wouldn’t it be moronic to say you can afford to provide a 500k home and a new suv on a 35k salary?

Who said you can afford a $500k home and a new SUV on a $35k salary?

If you don't live out of your means and make $80k, you can buy a good house, car, and have money leftover in MOST CITIES.

Who said you can afford a $500k home and a new SUV on a $35k salary?
No one can afford that lifestyle on 35k. Some people want that lifestyle. They want a 500k home and 50k car. To them it’s not moronic to say 80k doesn’t take you very far in a major city.

Yes I know you can live a nice apartment for 1000 a month and eat $7 a week of food. Nice for you.

Do I think it’s a moronic lifestyle? Who give a f*ck. It’s what makes you happy.

No one can afford that lifestyle on 35k. Some people want that lifestyle. They want a 500k home and 50k car. To them it’s not moronic to say 80k doesn’t take you very far in a major city.

Yes I know you can live a nice apartment for 1000 a month and eat $7 a week of food. Nice for you.

Do I think it’s a moronic lifestyle? Who give a f*ck. It’s what makes you happy.

LOL We're talking about the average person. The VAST MAJORITY of people don't drive $50k cars or live in $500k houses.

I didn't say living that life is moronic. If you can afford that lifestyle, then do it.

I said it's moronic to say $80k "won't go far" in most cities.

Yes, because they live in a bubble. That's my point.
The median income for a family in Austin is 96k. It’s not a bubble. That’s how much it cost to raise a family in a major city like Austin. If you want a decent lifestyle for your family of course.

Reactions: Minerforlife
The median income for a family in Austin is 96k. It’s not a bubble. That’s how much it cost to raise a family in a major city like Austin. If you want a decent lifestyle for your family of course.

We are talking about individuals, not families.

Also, the median household income in Austin is $64,462.

The per capita income is $40,391.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/austincitytexas

Where did you get the $96k figure?

So I'm confused. Is @Minerforlife saying $80k is low for household income (2 people working) or individual income?

It seems like we are debating different things.

Either way, the median household income in Austin is less than $80k, so he's wrong either way.

We are talking about individuals, not families.

Also, the median household income in Austin is $64,462.

The per capita income is $40,391.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/austincitytexas

Where did you get the $96k figure?
Maybe he meant average income. Average can be skewed higher than the median value due to the uber-rich, which is why median is a better measure for a typical family. (I don't think it would skew that much, though.)

So I'm confused. Is @Minerforlife saying $80k is low for household income (2 people working) or individual income?

It seems like we are debating different things.

Either way, the median household income in Austin is less than $80k, so he's wrong either way.
IMO in your bubble world you can’t understand how for a family with kids it could be difficult to have a good lifestyle with an 80k salary in a major city.

IMO in your bubble world you can’t understand how for a family with kids it could be difficult to have a good lifestyle with an 80k salary in a major city.

Again, are we talking about individual income or household income?

Is 80k based on 1 person or 2 people working?

Either way, I already proved that in Austin the median household income is $64,462 (a lot less than $80k).

Again, are we talking about individual income or household income?

Is 80k based on 1 person or 2 people working?

Either way, I already proved that in Austin the median household income is $64,462 (a lot less than $80k(.
We’re talking total income. Based on however many people are working.

Great job on proving the house hold income is 64k. Do you want a cookie?

Now prove that’s a comfortable lifestyle for a family with kids. I’ve lived it and it’s a struggle.

Great job on proving the house hold income is 64k. Do you want a cookie?

Now prove that’s a comfortable lifestyle for a family with kids. I’ve lived it and it’s a struggle.
He only talks about single person income, single game tickets, etc. Thats all he knows. He pretends he doesn't know that most here have family, kids, more than one car, a bigger house and many more responsibilities than a single person usually has.

Great job on proving the house hold income is is 64k. Do you want a cookie?

AGAIN, WE ARE TALKING ABOUT INDIVIDUALS. A FAMILY IS A CHOICE.

YOU are the person talking about families. You are trying to debate something else.

I said that it's moronic to say that making $80k is low. Meaning ONE INCOME.

I don't need a cookie. I just don't like seeing misinformation.

My proof is all my friends and family live in cities and do just fine making less than $80k. Some have kids and some don't.

You just live out of your means and give money away to friends. This is why you struggle.

He only talks about single person income, single game tickets, etc. Thats all he knows. He pretends he doesn't know that most here have family, kids, more than one car, a bigger house and many more responsibilities than a single person usually has.

And your point is? That is YOUR CHOICE to have those responsibilities. Just like it's MY CHOICE to travel, have hobbies, etc.

Everybody has a family. If you are married without kids you are still a family as well.

And your point is that some people CHOOSE to have a family?

When I list my expenses I give my basic expenses. Everything else is EXTRA. Just like expenses for children are EXTRA.

AGAIN, WE ARE TALKING ABOUT INDIVIDUALS. A FAMILY IS A CHOICE.

YOU are the person talking about families. You are trying to debate something else.

I said that it's moronic to say that making $80k is low. Meaning ONE INCOME.

I don't need a cookie. I just don't like seeing misinformation.

My proof is all my friends and family live in cities and do just fine making less than $80k. Some have kids and some don't.

You just live out of your means and give money away to friends. This is why you struggle.
No dude you’re talking about individuals. The rest of us are married and most of us have kids. We can’t relate....

Reactions: axingfools1
No dude you’re talking about individuals. The rest of us are married and most of us have kids. We can’t relate....

So @Minerforlife was saying $80k is low for 2 people working?

I was talking about individual income the whole time. Nobody was talking about OPTIONAL expenses (children). Just like I wasn't talking about my OPTIONAL expenses (travel, hobbies, etc.)

So @Minerforlife was saying $80k is low for 2 people working?

I was talking about individual income the whole time. Nobody was talking about OPTIONAL expenses (children). Just like I wasn't talking about my OPTIONAL expenses (travel, hobbies, etc.)
Are you asking Minerforlife? Is yes then good idea.

Are you asking Minerforlife? Is yes then good idea.

Yes, but he never responded.

I never mentioned anybody about families. I wasn't talking about OPTIONAL EXPENSES.

My original comment was that it's moronic that he said that an $80k salary is low (one person's income).

Optional expenses: travel, hobby and kids.

Now I understand

No wait. What if my hobby is traveling with my kids? I know I know. Still optional.

Yes, but he never responded.

I never mentioned anybody about families. I wasn't talking about OPTIONAL EXPENSES.

My original comment was that it's moronic that he said that an $80k salary is low (one person's income).
Maybe you shouldn't assume what he meant then until he clarifies.

Optional expenses: travel, hobby and kids.

Now I understand

No wait. What if my hobby is traveling with my kids? I know I know. Still optional.

I am glad you understand.

I don't consider food, clothes, and shelter optional.

Traveling hobbies, and kids are optional expenses. They are CHOICES that you make.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT