ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Basketball Ticket Prices

I have always believed reducing prices was the wrong thing to do. El Paso ALWAYS wants cheap/free stuff. I had no problem with the pricing structure increasing. However, I did complain a lot (my wife even more so) when our season tickets went up $500 total. In addition, I looked at the pricing on individual seats in my section and they are at $58. WTF? I remember when we had paper tickets the face value was $18. Now, I could understand increasing to say, $30/$35 each, but c'mon man!
That being said, the upper level seats are $16, and that's not too bad.
We shouldn't be focusing on the cost for families. Seriously, you think the music that DJ plays is family friendly? Every kid I see has their head in a phone and munching on some kind of treat and ignoring the game. Let's target high school kids and kids in their 20s. They would have more fun and can afford $16 tickets.

We shouldn't be focusing on the cost for families.

Let's target high school kids and kids in their 20s. They would have more fun and can afford $16 tickets.

So you're saying we shouldn't be focusing on the cost for families and focus on teens coming to the games alone, without their parents?

You think an average kid in their teens or 20's is going to spend their money at a college basketball game vs. going out to the movies, drinking, or doing other things?

I don't know about you and how you grew up, but $16 was a hell of a lot of money for me when I was in my teens.

Reactions: MinerFan79
I have always believed reducing prices was the wrong thing to do. El Paso ALWAYS wants cheap/free stuff. I had no problem with the pricing structure increasing. However, I did complain a lot (my wife even more so) when our season tickets went up $500 total. In addition, I looked at the pricing on individual seats in my section and they are at $58. WTF? I remember when we had paper tickets the face value was $18. Now, I could understand increasing to say, $30/$35 each, but c'mon man!
That being said, the upper level seats are $16, and that's not too bad.
We shouldn't be focusing on the cost for families. Seriously, you think the music that DJ plays is family friendly? Every kid I see has their head in a phone and munching on some kind of treat and ignoring the game. Let's target high school kids and kids in their 20s. They would have more fun and can afford $16 tickets.
Granted, this is anecdotal and is a small sample size, but that’s how I became a life long Miner fan, is by attending games with my family. Same with half my friends growing up…most of whom are still Miner fans to this day. And of those friends who went to games with their families, half of them sure as hell wouldn’t have been able to afford it in this day and age.

So there’s no confusion, I am considering the cost of living along with the cost of a ticket in both eras.

I’m curious, why do you think attendance is so low right now?

Compare CRT’s first year, finishing at 8-21, yet averaging nearly 2K more in attendance than we are now.

I guess Covid makes it difficult to get an accurate measure, tho.

Alright, ticket price rant over…until next year.

Last edited:
In year 7 of the Floyd era we were 2-13. By that time the fan base was exhausted of underachieving. During conference we still had crowds of 6k, flirted with 7k a few times and even hit over 8k.

Our biggest crowd this year was the home opener and there's no telling how many of those were because of the free tickets season holders received.

Could the 100% price increase to the cheapest tickets have something to do with it?

Granted, this is anecdotal and is a small sample size, but that’s how I became a life long Miner fan, is by attending games with my family. Same with half my friends growing up…who are still Miner fans to this day. And of those friends who went to games with their families, half of them sure as hell wouldn’t have been able to afford it in this day and age.

So there’s no confusion, I am considering the cost of living along with the cost of a ticket in both eras.

Compare CRT’s first year, finishing at 8-21, yet averaging nearly 2K more in attendance than we are now.

You could see attendance was going to fall off a cliff for years. The basketball season ticket base skewed very old. It was made up of people who were there and remembered the sixties. UTEP's problem was for years, decades really they propped up and inflated UTEP' basketball history. They thought people would become fans because of the "tradition". The thing is tradition is like a plant. If you don't feed it it dies. UTEP's basketball trading wasn't fed and died and the administration didn't want to acknowledge this. The only time we have been to second weekend of the tourney since 66 was 92. People 35 and under certainly don't remember that. Their impressions of UTEP hoops is that it's a bad program as bad a football.

Even for those of us who remember the eighties. It seems like a long time ago and it was. The college basketball landscape is so different now what was possible then isn't possible now. I shouldn't say not possible. However, we will never have success clinging to very a inflated history. The past needs to be left in the past and the rafters. For UTEP basketball to be successful the structure has to be burnt down and rebuilt. Fans are frustrated there has been a clinging to the past but no building of winning foundation. You can't fool people for thirty years and that's what UTEP has tried to do.

The other major issue is playing in a one bid league. The regular season is meaningless. It's hard to get people excited about meaningless game on Thurday unless you are playing an exciting brand of ball and beating people down. It's much easier to sell football. There is a one game a week. The first goal is to get to six wins to bowl eligibility. So each win means something. That's not the case so much in hoops where you can win 20 games and stay home for the postseason. Or win 28 games like Middle Tennessee and go to the NIT. That frustrates people. In no way am I saying UTEP has done a good job selling football. They done a terrible job of selling all the sports. I just thinks it much easier to sell people on coming to football games as opposed to basketball games especially with the reality of being in a one bid league.

For UTEP to increase attendance. You have to make the Haskins Center a place to be. You have to make more amenities for premium seat holders. The Haskins Center has to become a place you take someone to impress them. A place people want to take clients. A place you want to be seen. I think we need to go heavy on NBA like premium Courtside amenities. If you can get people to buy premium tickets and want to be in the Haskins Center the general population will follow especially in a place like El Paso.

Reactions: kickballpro
You could see attendance was going to fall off a cliff for years. The basketball season ticket base skewed very old. It was made up of people who were there and remembered the sixties. UTEP's problem was for years, decades really they propped up and inflated UTEP' basketball history. They thought people would become fans because of the "tradition". The thing is tradition is like a plant. If you don't feed it it dies. UTEP's basketball trading wasn't fed and died and the administration didn't want to acknowledge this. The only time we have been to second weekend of the tourney since 66 was 92. People 35 and under certainly don't remember that. Their impressions of UTEP hoops is that it's a bad program as bad a football.

Even for those of us who remember the eighties. It seems like a long time ago and it was. The college basketball landscape is so different now what was possible then isn't possible now. I shouldn't say not possible. However, we will never have success clinging to very a inflated history. The past needs to be left in the past and the rafters. For UTEP basketball to be successful the structure has to be burnt down and rebuilt. Fans are frustrated there has been a clinging to the past but no building of winning foundation. You can't fool people for thirty years and that's what UTEP has tried to do.

The other major issue is playing in a one bid league. The regular season is meaningless. It's hard to get people excited about meaningless game on Thurday unless you are playing an exciting brand of ball and beating people down. It's much easier to sell football. There is a one game a week. The first goal is to get to six wins to bowl eligibility. So each win means something. That's not the case so much in hoops where you can win 20 games and stay home for the postseason. Or win 28 games like Middle Tennessee and go to the NIT. That frustrates people. In no way am I saying UTEP has done a good job selling football. They done a terrible job of selling all the sports. I just thinks it much easier to sell people on coming to football games as opposed to basketball games especially with the reality of being in a one bid league.

For UTEP to increase attendance. You have to make the Haskins Center a place to be. You have to make more amenities for premium seat holders. The Haskins Center has to become a place you take someone to impress them. A place people want to take clients. A place you want to be seen. I think we need to go heavy on NBA like premium Courtside amenities. If you can get people to buy premium tickets and want to be in the Haskins Center the general population will follow especially in a place like El Paso.
To what you said, I’ll say “fair enough”. We’ll just have to agree where we agree and disagree where we disagree.

I’m half tempted to respond to the things with which our point of view diverges, however, I’ll stick to my claim that my rant is over…for now.

To what you said, I’ll say “fair enough”. We’ll just have to agree where we agree and disagree where we disagree.

I’m half tempted to respond to the things with which our point of view diverges, however, I’ll stick to my claim that my rant is over…for now.
I have ideas and thoughts but I know I'm not always right just ask my wife.. I enjoy reading everyone's perspective and thoughts.

1966 Championship - 1992 Sweet Sixteen: Span 26 years

1992 Sweet Sixteen - 2022: Span 30 years

We enjoyed plenty of success in the 26 years between 1966 and 1992 and in the 30 years since have done essentially nothing. I agree with you that our "basketball tradition" isn't quite so much anymore.

How to fix it? Well, therein lies the rub.

Marketing department has been in place for just about a month now. They added those falling foam hands and the halftime t-shirt toss. A few theme nights were also added.

A LOT of effort has gone onto getting students more involved. Splitting the student section makes the numbers look worse. On campus there are events all week promoting home games and making students aware of games. Times have changed though. Now you have more students who would play with their phones or stay shut in playing video games. Back in the 90s I remember having to go to the ticket office early before class to get good seats for games.

Things will NEVER have a chance to be like they were until UTEP puts a few good winning years together AND has some exciting players. Still then it may never be the same with our weak ass home schedules. I'm glad I was there to see some good years early on.

It's difficult to see and experience today's UTEP basketball home environment for those of us who were around in the 70's, 80's-90's. That said, I would hope that the product on the court would match the value in the ticket price. Currently, there's not enough return on the investment that fans are required to make. Additionally, MTSU, UAB, or UNT will never match the draw that UNM, Colorado State, or SDSU would bring during the season.

Last edited:
IDK man, I was at every home game and bringing people as well. Remember COVID is still a thing, and people in El Paso would rather stay home than go to UTEP to see a game. I would say let's wait until COVID isn't a thing then compare numbers. Raised ticket prices are going to happen at some point, just look at everything raising prices.

Remember COVID is still a thing, and people in El Paso would rather stay home than go to UTEP to see a game.
Yo soy! I have season tickets but I want the numbers to get better....and they will. Just right now El Paso, which was doing so darn good (tops in the country), has seen cases rise somewhat dramatically while the country was going down, go figure?

I am totally on board the Golding bus. He has fire in his belly.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
I remember many weak home opponents during the Haskins years. For every Georgetown game there were 4 against Southern Utah, Cardinal Stritch, Texas Wesleyan and Jacksonville State.

I remember once UTEP had a random game against West Texas State (now A&M) in the middle of the conference season.

Reactions: T-6 Miner
Oh great! nowins (etc) has a new handle and is harassing real fans. Another one of his personalities to join my ignore list. zzzzzzzz
Oh look! Here he comes with an insult for me that he knows I'll never see.
I'm curious to know where movies costs $28 too. I went to IPIC to see the new scream movie and it was half of that per ticket. That's as top of the line as far as the Austin area goes. I've been to the Flix Brewhouse in Round Rock and paid under $12 per ticket. I saw there's one in El Paso now. I imagine tickets are priced similarly there.

Edit: I checked online and the EP location is 10.50 for a weekend night show and $10 during the week. Lower prices for non evening shows.

Last edited:
A D-Box seat on a XD screen goes for $18.50 locally. That’s the exception as there are only three or four rows of D-Box seats in an auditorium.

I'm curious to know where movies costs $28 too. I went to IPIC to see the new scream movie and it was half of that per ticket. That's as top of the line as far as the Austin area goes. I've been to the Flix Brewhouse in Round Rock and paid under $12 per ticket. I saw there's one in El Paso now. I imagine tickets are priced similarly there.

Edit: I checked online and the EP location is 10.50 for a weekend night show and $10 during the week. Lower prices for non evening shows.
I haven't been to movie theatre since before covid. The last time I went was either at Southcenter or Pacific place in Seattle. I live in Seattle. The tickets were $28 and I think a bag of popcorn and drink was $19. It was right around $100 for two people and concessions. I've heard they are running specials to get people back into the theaters, but with everything being direct to streaming I haven't been back.

I haven't been to movie theatre since before covid. The last time I went was either at Southcenter or Pacific place in Seattle. I live in Seattle. The tickets were $28 and I think a bag of popcorn and drink was $19. It was right around $100 for two people and concessions. I've heard they are running specials to get people back into the theaters, but with everything being direct to streaming I haven't been back.
According to Google Pacific place has an AMC theater. For a weekend evening show its 14 and change.

Maybe UTEP should consider running specials to get people back in the Don. With every game streamed nowadays more and more people are opting for that option and not going back.

According to Google Pacific place has an AMC theater. For a weekend evening show its 14 and change.

Maybe UTEP should consider running specials to get people back in the Don. With every game streamed nowadays more and more people are opting for that option and not going back.

I saw the same prices. Minerforlife paid $28 for two tickets, not one ticket.

Granted, this is anecdotal and is a small sample size, but that’s how I became a life long Miner fan, is by attending games with my family. Same with half my friends growing up…most of whom are still Miner fans to this day. And of those friends who went to games with their families, half of them sure as hell wouldn’t have been able to afford it in this day and age.

Alright, ticket price rant over…until next year.
Times have changed. Kids don't want to hang out with their parents at a college game. They would rather play online with their friends. (I see high school kids occasionally alone enjoying the game) I say target high school kids that PLAY sports. They would be more likely to want to go. You COULD offer free tickets to several schools per game to get them there. Get them involved like at timeouts, halftime, before the game starts, etc..give all those kids free shirts, foam fingers, cups, etc.....Do this repeatedly and you could build a fanbase for the future. Maybe a couple hundred kids per game?
Mid to late 20s should be targeted also. Focus on the student body first and foremost. They usually have jobs and can afford to go (get concessions)
Move that DJ to the upper level seats and let the students scream at the opponents again. Why the hell does he need to be close to the action? A total waste of prime seating.
Covid HAS hurt attendance, especially since our main fan base is so old. Remember, I lost a LOT of business because of covid concerns, causing me to shut down. I know of at least 6 season ticket holders who have died in the last year from covid. However, I still see college games packed. It is not pricing (although $58 for my seats is stupid). Most people have ZERO clue when games are. (BTW did you realize the next home game is Superbowl Sunday? Ridiculous) I, being an avid fan, sometimes forget when the next game is.
It doesn't help our schedule sucks ass. Opponents have not been promoted either. Even I have to look up the opponent to know their record. My wife will ask me "Are these guys any good? Are we supposed to win?" Hell if I know.
Our team intro is too long and boring. Even the players don't give a crap. And speaking of players, MAKE them interact with fans. Have them visit high schools. There is such a disconnect.
It's not an easy fix. Cube acts like we have never had a marketing department before. We ONLY got it in December. pfft. And theme nights do NOT work. Pink night was celebrated by ONLY the dance and cheer teams. No one cares about ANY of the other including latino night, texas western night, or white out. Fans are blah and there is very little fun because the masses have no clue what to do anymore. Screaming dude is the coolest thing we do.
Go ahead and bash if you like. I have missed about 5 games in the last 3 years. Most likely I won't renew next season. It's just boring. I've been a fan all my life. Listened to games on the radio when I was little. I used to feel like the guys were family. Not anymore.

Agree with many on this topic. UTEP needs to understand the market. El Paso is a low wage city by all accounts. I've heard that's improved slightly in recent years, but I guarantee most any high skill, well paying jobs are being filled with non-local talent who have little interest in watching a Miners game, especially at high prices.

That means you need support from the local community, and $30+ for single tickets is a lot to ask of a community who's median household income is $46k.

To put it more into perspective-- I consider myself a diehard fan. El Paso has a significant need for the type of job I do, and I get asked frequently if I'd consider moving back there. With my expected salary, I'd likely fall somewhere in the top 5-10% of annual income in that city. Even with those factors, I'd be highly unlikely to spend $56 to sit in premium seats. Why would I spend such a large amount to see a consistently mediocre product, which plays in a consistently mediocre conf, in the middle of a sparse and unenthusiastic crowd/atmosphere?

The pricing just doesn't make much sense, and will Undoubtedly alienate the local fan base.

The only way tickets should be that expensive, is if we were producing a highly sought after product. For that price, I should either be watching a high caliber team that's competing for championships, or is at least playing in a high tier conference. I shouldn't be expected to pay over $25 to get decent seats, while watching us struggle to beat the likes of FAU or Marshall on our home court...

Add me to those that feel that UTEP is shooting itself in the foot by pricing out the average fan. While I do understand that college athletics is a business, I really have to question how it's good business to continually raise prices on a product that has been mediocre at best and poor at worst. I have a hard time believing that it's good business to cater only to the well heeled older fans to the exclusion of younger fans and families. I get that those older, well healed fans have kept the athletic department afloat for years, but those guys aren't going to live forever. What are we going to do when they're gone and there is no one in the younger generations that gives a damn about Miner athletics? How is it not possible to cater to both the well healed and to the average fan?

I want a family to view going to a Miner game as a legitimate alternative to going to the movies. I want the blue collar guy to be able to afford a ticket, soda, and a hot dog so that he can sit down at the game and cheer on the local team. I certainly hope that the wealthy El Pasoans don't believe that they're above sharing a 12,000 seat arena with such dregs.

Obviously to get the fans and energy back in the Don lower ticket prices are only part of the answer. The Miners, of course, have to win. That family above knows that there's a good chance that if they go to the movies the Avengers will save the day, or the couple will live happily ever after, or that they will laugh, cry, or experience whatever emotion they are expecting from the movie they want to go to. They need to know that there's a good chance that they will watch their team win the game should they choose to go. UTEP also has to do a better (hell, any) job of marketing. I guarantee you that coming into the UTSA football game a very large proportion of the El Paso population had no idea that we were 5-2. That needs to change. And speaking of marketing, what effort is being made to get the students to take advantage of free tickets to the games? Having full student sections in the Don would add a lot energy to the games.

So in order of importance the Miners need to
1. Win,
2. Let everyone know that they're winning, and
3. Make it affordable for fans to see the games.

To me that is good business. Not charging top dollar to the rich elderly die hard supporters while turning your back on everyone else, insuring that you won't have any fans in the future.
Then set your price point with a budget for the following items (not all inclusive since I may miss some things:
Electricity/water/gas for game nights and the practice facility
Coaches salary
Travel (we know that has gone up especially due to fuel costs and wages of the airline)
Security (those yellow jacket windbreaker ppl from when I went) and EPPD after the games to help cross ppl across mesa st
Giveaways for fans
Recruiting budget
Housing and meals (only given the miner bucks card for on campus eateries when I was there)

outside of stuff I’m missing, try doing a budget with how much tickets “should” be or just use ticket prices from when Floyd was here and you’ll be short

I’m sure those families “priced out” go regularly or have season tickets to the Chihuahuas and Locomotives. Those games have very good attendance and, may be what ppl care to see now vs spending for the UTEP sports. Yeah “winning solves all” but I don’t think we’ll see a packed sun bowl or Haskins center again for a long time.

Times have changed. Kids don't want to hang out with their parents at a college game. They would rather play online with their friends. (I see high school kids occasionally alone enjoying the game) I say target high school kids that PLAY sports. They would be more likely to want to go. You COULD offer free tickets to several schools per game to get them there. Get them involved like at timeouts, halftime, before the game starts, etc..give all those kids free shirts, foam fingers, cups, etc.....Do this repeatedly and you could build a fanbase for the future. Maybe a couple hundred kids per game?
Mid to late 20s should be targeted also. Focus on the student body first and foremost. They usually have jobs and can afford to go (get concessions)
Move that DJ to the upper level seats and let the students scream at the opponents again. Why the hell does he need to be close to the action? A total waste of prime seating.
Covid HAS hurt attendance, especially since our main fan base is so old. Remember, I lost a LOT of business because of covid concerns, causing me to shut down. I know of at least 6 season ticket holders who have died in the last year from covid. However, I still see college games packed. It is not pricing (although $58 for my seats is stupid). Most people have ZERO clue when games are. (BTW did you realize the next home game is Superbowl Sunday? Ridiculous) I, being an avid fan, sometimes forget when the next game is.
It doesn't help our schedule sucks ass. Opponents have not been promoted either. Even I have to look up the opponent to know their record. My wife will ask me "Are these guys any good? Are we supposed to win?" Hell if I know.
Our team intro is too long and boring. Even the players don't give a crap. And speaking of players, MAKE them interact with fans. Have them visit high schools. There is such a disconnect.
It's not an easy fix. Cube acts like we have never had a marketing department before. We ONLY got it in December. pfft. And theme nights do NOT work. Pink night was celebrated by ONLY the dance and cheer teams. No one cares about ANY of the other including latino night, texas western night, or white out. Fans are blah and there is very little fun because the masses have no clue what to do anymore. Screaming dude is the coolest thing we do.
Go ahead and bash if you like. I have missed about 5 games in the last 3 years. Most likely I won't renew next season. It's just boring. I've been a fan all my life. Listened to games on the radio when I was little. I used to feel like the guys were family. Not anymore.

UF66, sounds like you are exactly the fan that UTEP cannot afford to lose. Maybe you can meet with Jim Senter and share your concerns? I think he'd appreciate hearing from someone like you.

I pay $652 for my Chihuahuas tickets for 75 games. I get a $4 concessions credit on each ticket (for 5 year ticket holders) and I also get a $50 concession voucher for paying my tickets by a certain date.

I pay $665 for my UTEP basketball tickets ($170 for the ticket and $495 for the donation).

I'm fortunate I can donate and I will continue to do so, but I totally understand why fans aren't coming to the games.

Why not just have a section of the Haskins center that is 5 dollar tickets and the area by the goal post 5 dollars for football games ….. then you can have others come and spend money at concession stands ?

Why not just have a section of the Haskins center that is 5 dollar tickets and the area by the goal post 5 dollars for football games ….. then you can have others come and spend money at concession stands ?
Building a season ticket base is the most important part of building ticket revenue for both revenue sports. There is no incentive to buy season tickets, If people are getting in for five dollars. All you will do is lose season ticket holders and cheapen your product. In the end a suicidal strategy that loses revenue.

Last edited:
I've suggested this before. From what I've seen section XX and KK always seem to go unsold. Would it hurt to put those two sections for $5? We're talking about 144 tickets in total. In football I would do section 26 the very top rows. Who knows maybe some of those people will actually enjoy the games, become fans, and buy better seats.

I am curious what the reason for drastic increases in Ticket Prices. Its not like UTEP is financing a new stadium or arena. I think people would pay an extra $10 if they knew that the $10 was going towards something significant.

But from what I understand, the increase in ticket prices is so that Season Ticket Holders don't complain about the donation portion of their tickets.

Reactions: anon_yegnbe5pin2so
Building a season ticket base is the most important part of building ticket revenue for both revenue sports. There is no incentive to buy season tickets. If people are getting in for five dollars. All you will do is lose season ticket holders and cheapen your product. In the end a suicidal strategy that loses revenue.
I said only a section or two not the whole arena….. these sections would be the least wanted seats and sections just to fill in the arena and get some money passing through concessions and get people seeing Utep basketball can be a fun time

I said only a section or two not the whole arena….. these sections would be the least wanted seats and sections just to fill in the arena and get some money passing through concessions and get people seeing Utep basketball can be a fun time
This has been tried for decades. We have data points. It doesn't work. It doesn't increase season ticket sales or revenue. It does the opposite, it cheapens the product. People bitch about any small increases in ticket or concessions prices. It lowers revenue.

• Haha
Reactions: anon_yegnbe5pin2so
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT