ADVERTISEMENT

Best and most realistic take on how things may play out in CUSA, Sun Belt, AAC Realignment.

Well this about sums it up to this point. UTEP still has a chance to survive if this plays out. Also I'm sure UTEP is now either talking to NMSU or Sam Houston/SFA for interest in CUSA as well. Not sure if CUSA wants that, but Utep would like to have a travel partner closer than La Tech I'm sure.
https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf...realignment-scenarios-sun-belt-conference-usa
How pathetic of a conference will that be? Sounds like a great way to drop to FCS by default

How pathetic of a conference will that be? Sounds like a great way to drop to FCS by default
Well they won't drop to FCS so you can keep that opinion in your pocket. Liberty waxed a good UAB team this year and will go to a bowl for the 3rd time in a row. James Madison is a top 5 FCS school that will have immediate success once they go FBS and have the extra scholarships. The names may not be familiar to you, but I assure you they'd both destroy Rice or N. Texas! It's not an ideal situation for Utep of course. However right now conference USA is just trying to survive, under a new landscape where if you're not in a P5 conference, alliances are unstable at best.

Well they won't drop to FCS so you can keep that opinion in your pocket. Liberty waxed a good UAB team this year and will go to a bowl for the 3rd time in a row. James Madison is a top 5 FCS school that will have immediate success once they go FBS and have the extra scholarships. The names may not be familiar to you, but I assure you they'd both destroy Rice or N. Texas! It's not an ideal situation for Utep of course. However right now conference USA is just trying to survive, under a new landscape where if you're not in a P5 conference, alliances are unstable at best.
I like how you’ve done your homework and how optimistic you are about all of this. Reading your take is encouraging

I like how you’ve done your homework and how optimistic you are about all of this. Reading your take is encouraging
It is what it is, I don't like any of the current options very much actually. We just don't have much choice. If I had to be honest I'd be more of a fan of going independent in Football. Then play 2 money games a year, which would make us more than our CUSA contract currently anyways. Continue to build football and the fan base back and maybe try to be more attractive in 5 or so years. Men's basketball and other sports can play in WAC or Big West. That's if CUSA can't save this conference without going half FCS teams to move up. That option I'm not a huge fan of, cause it'll be a Meh conference, but we have to pick the lesser of 2 evils.

Natty,

James Madison and Liberty would wax Rice and UNT? Does that make up for their location? How many UTEP fans live in Virginia? Safe to say probably not even close to the amount that live in the Houston and Dallas areas? UTEP shouldn’t be in a conference with teams from Virginia, let alone 2 or 3. Which we would travel to every year.

The Big West is not taking UTEP. Again, UTEP would have to pay travel subsidies, if they would even be considered. Some on here, talk trash about WAC teams, but the Big West has UC San Diego, UC Riverside, Cal St Northridge, Cal St Bakersfield. Yeah, we would really be more excited to see those teams! Big West isn’t happening. Not now, not ever.

CUSA will survive even if we're down to UTEP, LT and FIU. That's still the best option for UTEP over independence or FCS.

Natty,

James Madison and Liberty would wax Rice and UNT? Does that make up for their location? How many UTEP fans live in Virginia? Safe to say probably not even close to the amount that live in the Houston and Dallas areas? UTEP shouldn’t be in a conference with teams from Virginia, let alone 2 or 3. Which we would travel to every year.

The Big West is not taking UTEP. Again, UTEP would have to pay travel subsidies, if they would even be considered. Some on here, talk trash about WAC teams, but the Big West has UC San Diego, UC Riverside, Cal St Northridge, Cal St Bakersfield. Yeah, we would really be more excited to see those teams! Big West isn’t happening. Not now, not ever.
I had previously stated I didn't think BIg West would take Utep it's more likely the WAC, but I still have time in life them as a possibility. As with the other issue, it doesn't really matter. We were already traveling far in CUSA so not much changes and as far as N. Texas, UTSA, Rice they left us so not much we can do about that now can we. Except convince Sam Houston, SFA etc... To move up as I've said already.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
Football independence is not an option. It's a survival strategy. If it was viable, there would be a whole lot more of them around. It works if you have money and a national following. Notre Dame does. We don't. Ask NMSU how it's working for them since that's likely where we would end up. Home and homes with them and UConn year in year out and some SEC team's glorified scrimmage prior to rivalry week.

If we have to travel to Fargo to be in a conference, so be it.

Football independence is not an option. It's a survival strategy. If it was viable, there would be a whole lot more of them around. It works if you have money and a national following. Notre Dame does. We don't. Ask NMSU how it's working for them since that's likely where we would end up. Home and homes with them and UConn year in year out and some SEC team's glorified scrimmage prior to rivalry week.

If we have to travel to Fargo to be in a conference, so be it.
Exactly. We would also miss out on the playoffs money distribution and the exit fees. The 3 - 5 teams left over will do what they have to do to make sure CUSA stays at the FBS level. I'm not sure if it's 6 teams or 8 that are needed but they'll get them.

Last year cusa received 17 million from the ncaa payouts. We had to split that 14 ways. Imagine receiving a similar amount but only having to split it 8 ways. That's enough to keep this conference going. Also the 30 million in exit fees is another incentive.

A conference with 8 teams would give us an extra ooc game that we could use for a payday to make up for the TV revenue and travel.

How much money did nmsu as an independent receive from the playoffs payout?

The same way schools are selling their left arm and going into debt to jump from CUSA to AAC is the same way FCS will do to become FBS.

Reactions: Rot and Lil_Train
Exactly. We would also miss out on the playoffs money distribution and the exit fees. The 3 - 5 teams left over will do what they have to do to make sure CUSA stays at the FBS level. I'm not sure if it's 6 teams or 8 that are needed but they'll get them.

Last year cusa received 17 million from the ncaa payouts. We had to split that 14 ways. Imagine receiving a similar amount but only having to split it 8 ways. That's enough to keep this conference going. Also the 30 million in exit fees is another incentive.

A conference with 8 teams would give us an extra ooc game that we could use for a payday to make up for the TV revenue and travel.

The same way schools are selling their left arm and going into debt to jump from CUSA to AAC is the same way FCS will do to become FBS.
Got ya, I wasn't aware of all that. Well then best of luck to CUSA pulling a rabbit out of their A$$

@JCorona I want your honest thoughts and opinion here. With no bias for UTEP or myself. You’re the AD or President, who is making the real decision to move conferences at Sam Houston St. We will assume the following:

A. You want to move to FBS
B. You’re capable of adding the extra scholarships in football and coaching staffs/ scholarships for whatever womens sport(s) you may need for compliance.
C. These numbers you provided are 100% true

With that said, you’re invited to CUSA, which consists of UTEP, LaTech, FIU, WKU, MTSU, and Liberty. You would accept an invitation to this league?

1. 500k per year media deal will for sure go way down, schools might have solo deals like Liberty, NMSU, and BYU currently have. Basically you expect 0 or a small loss from this.
2. At best, this version of CUSA has 2 bowl bids
3. Travel for all sports will be far flung and more expensive and extensive than you’ve had previously.
4. Conference tournaments will not be in Dallas, sure they could be, but we will say they’re aren’t.
5. You know that the current CUSA teams are looking to move the first chance they get.

So question is, would you jump SHSU into FBS and CUSA? Does your answer change if WKU and MTSU go to the MAC?

If I'm the president of SHSU. Yes 100%. We moved to the WAC chasing FBS status and now an FBS league is giving us that opportunity. We take it for we do not know when it presents itself again.

1. We currently make next to nothing in tv money so that stays the same assuming the CUSA TV deal drops to 100k or less per team.

2. That's better than no bowls.

3. The 2+ million we get from the playoffs money will offset travel costs. Also P5 teams will now pay us in the 1-2 million range to play at their school instead of 300k.

4. Our current basketball tournament is 1500 miles away so doesn't really make a difference for us if it's in Dallas or not.

5. Sure the other teams want to leave at the first chance they get. Where are they going to go? No one wants them and all conferences are almost full. They would have to wait until the next wave of realignment to make any moves and hey maybe it's us getting called up to the SB and leaving UTEP behind by then.

Still yes if WKU and MTSU leave. Now us along with LT, UTEP and NMSU have more influence on who gets in and recruit teams closer to us. I can get on the phone with my buddies at Stephen F Austin, Lamar and ACU and try to convince them to make the jump now or stay at FCS until the next round. Even then no guarantee they'll get a chance.

Natty,

We can't be in a conference with the Texas Southland additions in the WAC. The perception alone would kill UTEP basketball. Either you tie yourself to LA Tech and follow them or you join the Big West. With subsidies the Big West would have no issues with us at all.

We can't be in a conference with the Texas Southland additions in the WAC. The perception alone would kill UTEP basketball. Either you tie yourself to LA Tech and follow them or you join the Big West. With subsidies the Big West would have no issues with us at all.
Guess who is being reported as CUSA additions? McNeese St and Sam Houston. McNeese is still in the Southland and SHSU was there last year.

Paying the Big West travel money is retarded. They’re a 1 bid league and UTEP doesn’t make them 2. They wouldn’t even consider UTEP. UTEP basketball can accomplish the same thing in the Big Sky, Southland, or WAC without having to pay travel subsidies.

Guess who is being reported as CUSA additions? McNeese St and Sam Houston. McNeese is still in the Southland and SHSU was there last year.

Paying the Big West travel money is retarded. They’re a 1 bid league and UTEP doesn’t make them 2. They wouldn’t even consider UTEP. UTEP basketball can accomplish the same thing in the Big Sky, Southland, or WAC without having to pay travel subsidies.
There goes your theory that SHSU wouldn't want to join.

You implied that in post 14. I explained to you in post 15 why they would.
I did not imply anything. I presented a scenario with several “would be facts” and “possibilities”; to gauge your thoughts on the matter. Since you seem more level headed than some of the others.

When SHSU joined the WAC, those teams were going to put together a FBS sustainability report once Southern Utah joins next year. They haven’t even started and I really doubt that they will make a hasty decision to join up with the most unwanted schools in FBS. I think you underestimate how much money is needed to go from FCS to FBS, and to make a pressured decision in a matter of weeks, isn’t really a “smart” one.

With that being said, it’s “possible” they would consider it and “hope for the best”, but that’s a really dumb decision, in my opinion. Especially if WKU and MTSU are leaving as well.

If we replaced SHSU and UTEPs roles, would we as UTEP fans be “excited” about joining SHSU, LaTech, FIU, and Liberty just to be FBS? Excited wouldn’t be the word I would use. I would bet many SHSU fans and administrators feel the same way about “CUSA”.

Reactions: JCorona

If just Sam is added I'm fine. McNeese is a good fcs name. I didn't want to be a conference with five of them. Especially with the 2 who recently transitioned from to d2. I. I can handle one especially because it's the strongest of the bunch.

If just Sam is added I'm fine. McNeese is a good fcs name. I didn't want to be a conference with five of them. Especially with the 2 who recently transitioned from to d2. I. I can handle one especially because it's the strongest of the bunch.
Sam Houston probably won't join CUSA. It is too unstable. They joined the WAC for a better conference knowing that they would move up to FBS eventually with the rest of the Texas teams. I don't think they would move up knowing that CUSA reached out to them in desperation and how unstable that conference will be. Probably the same for McNesse as there has been talk for a WAC invite. The Texas 4 need time to upgrade their facilities before they go to FBS.

Sam Houston probably won't join CUSA. It is too unstable. They joined the WAC for a better conference knowing that they would move up to FBS eventually with the rest of the Texas teams. I don't think they would move up knowing that CUSA reached out to them in desperation and how unstable that conference will be. Probably the same for McNesse as there has been talk for a WAC invite. The Texas 4 need time to upgrade their facilities before they go to FBS.
Those conversations are already happening. How do you know it's not SHSU and McNeese calling CUSA?

"She's getting calls from every aspiring FCS program," said a source from one of those schools

Those conversations are already happening. How do you know it's not SHSU and McNeese calling CUSA?

"She's getting calls from every aspiring FCS program," said a source from one of those schools
McNeese is probable honestly. Fan talk doesn't want them in the WAC because of low academic standings. Hell if SHSU wants to jump ship right away to go FBS that is understandable. I think that the stability of the conference would play a factor for some of the more solid FCS schools knowing they will go FBS soon. Could be that CUSA poaches the Texas 4 and screwing over the WAC but I would think that would be iffy at best.

If I'm the president of SHSU. Yes 100%. We moved to the WAC chasing FBS status and now an FBS league is giving us that opportunity. We take it for we do not know when it presents itself again.

1. We currently make next to nothing in tv money so that stays the same assuming the CUSA TV deal drops to 100k or less per team.

2. That's better than no bowls.

3. The 2+ million we get from the playoffs money will offset travel costs. Also P5 teams will now pay us in the 1-2 million range to play at their school instead of 300k.

4. Our current basketball tournament is 1500 miles away so doesn't really make a difference for us if it's in Dallas or not.

5. Sure the other teams want to leave at the first chance they get. Where are they going to go? No one wants them and all conferences are almost full. They would have to wait until the next wave of realignment to make any moves and hey maybe it's us getting called up to the SB and leaving UTEP behind by then.

Still yes if WKU and MTSU leave. Now us along with LT, UTEP and NMSU have more influence on who gets in and recruit teams closer to us. I can get on the phone with my buddies at Stephen F Austin, Lamar and ACU and try to convince them to make the jump now or stay at FCS until the next round. Even then no guarantee they'll get a chance.
Tournament is 1500 miles away?

If we put our Oly sports in the WAC, we could end up playing in the tournament every other year or every 2 to 3 years. That would be fun.

If we went indy in football, we could schedule teams such as BYU, UNM, CSU, Tulsa, Army, etc. Not a bad deal since these are teams the locals like to watch.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Terrible deal. You can't build a program being independent.
Says who. You think playing North Dakota is better? NMSU is doing okay plus they get the NCAA tournament cash every year. El Paso could host the WAC tournament every other year or at least play in Vegas. I'd travel there.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
They have some good ideas over there at MWC but I think Indy is the way to go. Schedule all the schools we've always wanted to play, form an scheduling alliance with MWC and fill it in with NMSU, UCON, Army and other indy's (Notre Dame?)
Why would the MWC make a scheduling alliance with UTEP? Our schedule would look like NMSU's. We're not Notre Dame and we're not Army.

Says NMSU. They're hoping and waiting for C-USA, even this shitty version of it, to call them for an invite.

Says who. You think playing North Dakota is better? NMSU is doing okay plus they get the NCAA tournament cash every year. El Paso could host the WAC tournament every other year or at least play in Vegas. I'd travel there.
Minerforlife says playing FCS teams is crappy. But a league with NMSU and some FCS move ups is better now. Okay…………….

Have you seen NMSU's football team lately? They're not doing okay.

How's good ol' UConn doing since they took their football team independent?

And they share the NCAA tournament cash with their WAC mates because that's how it works.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT