ADVERTISEMENT

Best and most realistic take on how things may play out in CUSA, Sun Belt, AAC Realignment.

If we put our Oly sports in the WAC, we could end up playing in the tournament every other year or every 2 to 3 years. That would be fun.
Being in a one bid league now below the likes of UTA, UTSA and Texas State would not be fun. It would kill the hoops program forever.

Have you seen NMSU's football team lately? They're not doing okay.

How's good ol' UConn doing since they took their football team independent?

And they share the NCAA tournament cash with their WAC mates because that's how it works.
UConn decided to put their basketball program first. UTEP doesn’t have that option.

Minerforlife says playing FCS teams is crappy. But a league with NMSU and some FCS move ups is better now. Okay…………….
NDSU isn't just some FCS move-up. They consider Big Ten Minnesota a rival and they also beat Iowa. If NDSU actually wants to move up and join our conference, we should listen. They'd probably be the best team in the conference.

UConn decided to put their basketball program first. UTEP doesn’t have that option.
No, but jdubb is trying to argue that going independent would be a good move for the football team. I'm trying to drive home the point that there is nothing desirable about that path. We can see this in NMSU's and UConn's football teams.

Reactions: SAMINERGIRL
No, but jdubb is trying to argue that going independent would be a good move for the football team. I'm trying to drive home the point that there is nothing desirable about that path. We can see this in NMSU's and UConn's football teams.
NMSU there out of their own control. UConn decided to put their football team there. Big difference.

NDSU isn't just some FCS move-up. They consider Big Ten Minnesota a rival and they also beat Iowa. If NDSU actually wants to move up and join our conference, we should listen. They'd probably be the best team in the conference.
NDSU is a tremendous FCS program. Do they belong in a conference with UTEP? No!

Reactions: TxRdKiller
NMSU there out of their own control. UConn decided to put their football team there. Big difference.
The result is the same. They chose independence for their football team and we see the result. jdubb WANTS us to choose independence for our football team.

So did you.

Plus those three FCS programs already have budgets similar to FBS teams. It's not the same as asking McNeese St to increase their budget by 12 million.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Minerforlife says playing FCS teams is crappy. But a league with NMSU and some FCS move ups is better now. Okay…………….
The Dakota schools would be top 60 fbs teams right now. From a competitive standpoint can't beat that.

Liberty is a top 50 program.

Missouri State has excellent facilities.

The Dakota schools would be top 60 fbs teams right now. From a competitive standpoint can't beat that.

This is why they have such good facilities.

"Currently we have a $50/semester fee that goes solely towards facilities, nothing towards athletics at all. Student body of 23-26,000, even a small fee would be able to make up any difference."

Reactions: Rot

I really don’t think being in an all-sports conference with teams from the Dakotas, Virginia, and Florida is a good idea, but hey, we’re UTEP. We’ll take anything!

Have you seen NMSU's football team lately? They're not doing okay.

How's good ol' UConn doing since they took their football team independent?

And they share the NCAA tournament cash with their WAC mates because that's how it works.
I'd rather we get our asses kicked by MWC schools than by the Jackrabbits. Is that so wrong?

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I'd rather we get our asses kicked by MWC schools than by the Jackrabbits. Is that so wrong?
We're 6-1, finally seem to be turning things around, and you want to piss it all away by choosing to go independent.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet.

Reactions: SAMINERGIRL
We're 6-1, finally seem to be turning things around, and you want to piss it all away by choosing to go independent.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet.
Not throwing in the towel. Choosing our own destiny. The decision is going to be made for us anyway.

Being in a one bid league now below the likes of UTA, UTSA and Texas State would not be fun. It would kill the hoops program forever.
It wouldn't kill it forever. They have been in irrelevant, for the most part, for decades. The last time UTEP even won a game in the NCAA tournament was almost 30 years ago. Since 1992 the Miners have gone to the NCAA tournament a total of THREE TIMES going 0-3. In that same time NMSU, being in essentially a 1 bid conference most of that time, has gone to the big dance TWELVE TIMES winning one game (2nd round started to mean something different in the 2000's). Who has the bigger budget? Who has more resources? It sure isn't NMSU. Dropping to a lesser conference in Oly sports could actually make recruiting easier because UTEP could have advantages over the other schools.

Last edited:
Liberty wants no part of this. Rock bottom

From UTEP's point of view its best. Geographically, financially and competitively it was going to be impossible to compete with them. They would have pushed for UMASS and more schools around them. And pretty much get their way.

At least we know NMSU will probably be the first invite. If us them and LT form an alliance we can push for a more southern league.

It wouldn't kill it forever. They have been in irrelevant, for the most part, for decades. The last time UTEP even won a game in the NCAA tournament was almost 30 years ago. Since 1992 the Miners have gone to the NCAA tournament a total of THREE TIMES going 0-3. In that same time NMSU, being in essentially a 1 bid conference most of that time, has gone to the big dance TWELVE TIMES winning five games. Who has the bigger budget? Who has more resources? It sure isn't NMSU. Dropping to a lesser conference in Oly sports could actually make recruiting easier because UTEP could have advantages over the other schools.
They haven’t won 5 times. Look again.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
From UTEP's point of view its best. Geographically, financially and competitively it was going to be impossible to compete with them. They would have pushed for UMASS and more schools around them. And pretty much get their way.

At least we know NMSU will probably be the first invite. If us them and LT form an alliance we can push for a more southern league.
Steve Kaplowitz just said NMSU hasn’t been contacted as of yesterday.

Looks like Senter needs to start booking games as an Indy. Find a conference. for Olympic sports. Maybe work a deal with La Tech to do home and away late in the season. Same with NMSU and FIU. Schedule 2 money games, a game against New Mexico every year. Fill it other three with whoever you can.

Looks like Senter needs to start booking games as an Indy. Find a conference. for Olympic sports. Maybe work a deal with La Tech to do home and away late in the season. Same with NMSU and FIU. Schedule 2 money games, a game against New Mexico every year. Fill it other three with whoever you can.
Better than losing to North Dakota St every year

Liberty would rather be indy than join CUSA. Someone said they're a top 50 program. Why can't we do that?
Liberty pays teams like ODU a million dollars to play at their home. Can we afford that?

That was years ago when Liberty was trying to get to FBS. NMSU ain't paying that kind of money I guarantee.
They are still paying teams to play them at home. Check out how much they'll pay Texas St.

NMSU is finding H&A series. They've been lucky up to now. Getting bye how ever they can. The point remains that NMSU is hoping they're part of whatever crappy version of CUSA is left. Independence life as poor middle of the no where low major is not sustainable. Not for them and neither for us.

They are still paying teams to play them at home. Check out how much they'll pay Texas St.

NMSU is finding H&A series. They've been lucky up to now. Getting bye how ever they can. The point remains that NMSU is hoping they're part of whatever crappy version of CUSA is left. Independence life as poor middle of the no where low major is not sustainable. Not for them and neither for us.
Yep, it’s going to suck being an independent but it sure seems that’s where we are headed.
You would think it would be in the Texas University System interest to insure the health of their schools! Guess not.!

Yep, it’s going to suck being an independent but it sure seems that’s where we are headed.
You would think it would be in the Texas University System interest to insure the health of their schools! Guess not.!
Not really. Kap said in his article the only way we go independent is if the league disolves or we get kicked out. The latest rumor is CUSA is targeting two Texas FCS teams and NMSU. We're not getting kicked out. Could the league still disolve? Maybe, but there are still things that make this an attractive league for FCS schools and NMSU. I used to jokingly say CUSA 4.0 would eventually be incarnate Word and HBU sad thing is its not a joke anymore. Those type of schools will most likely be our conference members.

Let's dominate the league. Improve our facilities and be ready for the next wave cuz next time we might just drown.

Not really. Kap said in his article the only way we go independent is if the league disolves or we get kicked out. The latest rumor is CUSA is targeting two Texas FCS teams and NMSU. We're not getting kicked out. Could the league still disolve? Maybe, but there are still things that make this an attractive league for FCS schools and NMSU. I used to jokingly say CUSA 4.0 would eventually be incarnate Word and HBU sad thing is its not a joke anymore. Those type of schools will most likely be our conference members.

Let's dominate the league. Improve our facilities and be ready for the next wave cuz next time we might just drown.
Exactly right.

To do that I hope that that the alumni and fan base can get on board and donate to help strengthen the athletic department from a financial standpoint. I know UTEP doesn’t have a wealthy benefactor waiting in the wings but there are a lot of alumni and even if they all just chipped in a little cash that could help push the football team and put us in a better position to move forward. Will it happen? Probably not.

To do that I hope that that the alumni and fan base can get on board and donate to help strengthen the athletic department from a financial standpoint. I know UTEP doesn’t have a wealthy benefactor waiting in the wings but there are a lot of alumni and even if they all just chipped in a little cash that could help push the football team and put us in a better position to move forward. Will it happen? Probably not.
As soon as UTEP starts losing to SHSU, Tarleton, and see NMSU win the basketball championship, you can kiss donations goodbye.

As soon as UTEP starts losing to SHSU, Tarleton, and see NMSU win the basketball championship, you can kiss donations goodbye.
I agree but at the same time I already know it’s next to impossible the alumni/fan base will rally around this problem. If people haven’t given before they’re surely not going to give now.

I agree but at the same time I already know it’s next to impossible the alumni/fan base will rally around this problem. If people haven’t given before they’re surely not going to give now.
That’s correct. Can’t expect people to give when you keep giving them worse opponents and the same results

The reality is we have never learned our lesson and never will. Not when Arizona and the others left to the PAC. Not when half the conference left and formed the MW. Not when half the conference left to the form the aac.

Could we expect to get the hint this time? I doubt it.

Like Nowins said we will lose to SHSU and the fans will completely abandon the university.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT