ADVERTISEMENT

Best and most realistic take on how things may play out in CUSA, Sun Belt, AAC Realignment.

The only school that has publicly been against UTEP is San Diego State. Their previous president just savaged us in an interview about expansion about five or six years ago. She was very critical of our hoops program.

It's never been made public, however it's thought Boise is against us. That's not shocking.

The new school that's been mentioned lately in Wyoming. From the stories they have been slipping in enrollment for a while and want Texas schools in the MWC to try to recruit students from the Texas metros. Their gripe is that UTEP isn't really part of Texas and doesn't help them raising their visibility among college applicants in Texas.

You guys are putting lipstick on a pig with this thread. Optimism is great but delusion is awful. This is a nail in the coffin for our UTEP sports unless something unexpected occurs. Reality is no one wants us. The CUSA as it stands is garbage and right now we’d kill to keep things as is. If you guys are fine playing a bunch
For sure lipstick on a pig. No way a rational person could think this is “better” than current CUSA. However, hopefully UTEP does well and isn’t a bottom feeder. If they end up being a bottom feeder, than yeah, done forever and ever.

You guys are putting lipstick on a pig with this thread. Optimism is great but delusion is awful. This is a nail in the coffin for our UTEP sports unless something unexpected occurs. Reality is no one wants us. The CUSA as it stands is garbage and right now we’d kill to keep things as is. If you guys are fine playing a bunch
It is what it is…at least for a while. Fine with it? Is there really a choice at the moment?

Well SMU is kinda p.o.'d that UNT was admitted to their conference and their rich donors could cough up exit fees easily. The MWC covets them and so UTEP should try to tag along to the MWC since they would need 2 not 1.
It’s fair to speculate that SMU probably isn’t happy with UNT being with them. However, as an unbiased outsider, I don’t think SMU has too much to worry about UNT wise. As long as SMU continues to do what they’re currently doing, they will be fine.

The MWC might “covet” them, doesn’t mean their TV partners do and are willing to give them more money or that SMU has interest in playing games against Wyoming and San Jose St. Just as people poke fun at Rice “carrying” the Houston market, does anyone actually believe SMU does that in Dallas?

The funny thing is this what some people were asking for last year. Since we couldnt beat the shitty teams in CUSA they wanted to lower the competition level even more. To leave CUSA and join an FCS league. CUSA left us and we're basically joining an FCS league.

To make it even funnier now we're beating the shitty teams and would rather CUSA stay as it is.

Their president, AD, donors and entire fan base. I don't know anyone associated with SMU that's not irate that UNT is in the American.
Irate? Come on man, just like the rest of us, we get fired up and it calms down days, weeks, or months later.

SMU is 1 team. If the other 7 members wanted UNT, they were coming regardless. I bet TAMU didn’t want Texas in the SEC. They probably acquiesced and did what’s good for business, like SMU did.

Reactions: MinerFan79
The funny thing is this what some people were asking for last year. Since we couldnt beat the shitty teams in CUSA they wanted to lower the competition level even more. To leave CUSA and join an FCS league. CUSA left us and we're basically joining an FCS league.

To make it even funnier now we're beating the shitty teams and would rather CUSA stay as it is.
You’re referring to me specifically and yes, I did suggest Independence or FCS. Based on history and our current coach. I didn’t think we would be 6-1 and a pretty competent team.

While what we’re going through right now isn’t “better”, it could end up being “better” for UTEP.

I’ve always said, the opponent doesn’t really matter and I stand by this. We got 11,000 for ODU, nobody cares about them or would rather attend that game over Sam Houston St. IF the Miners are average or have a winning record the first time they play SHSU, and it’s perfect weather wise and at 7pm Saturday, and they do not draw at least 11,000; I will apologize and admit that opponents do matter.

Reactions: JCorona
Irate? Come on man, just like the rest of us, we get fired up and it calms down days, weeks, or months later.

SMU is 1 team. If the other 7 members wanted UNT, they were coming regardless. I bet TAMU didn’t want Texas in the SEC. They probably acquiesced and did what’s good for business, like SMU did.
Yep. Highly doubt the most expensive school in Texas nestled in the “Beverly Hills of Texas” with every top perk and facility on earth at their finger tips cares what a mid level state school an hour to the north does

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
You’re referring to me specifically and yes, I did suggest Independence or FCS. Based on history and our current coach. I didn’t think we would be 6-1 and a pretty competent team.

While what we’re going through right now isn’t “better”, it could end up being “better” for UTEP.

I’ve always said, the opponent doesn’t really matter and I stand by this. We got 11,000 for ODU, nobody cares about them or would rather attend that game over Sam Houston St. IF the Miners are average or have a winning record the first time they play SHSU, and it’s perfect weather wise and at 7pm Saturday, and they do not draw at least 11,000; I will apologize and admit that opponents do matter.
Sounds good but let's see what kind of crowd we draw for UTSA and we'll compare it to when we're 6-2 hosting SHSU.

I don’t know man. I can see the MWC being a very distant goal. I think wherever we end up we need to take the approach that this is where we belong…at least for the time being. Not looking to bolt every time the ground shakes.

Always wanting to be where we’re not has only taken deeper into the depths of despair. We need to embrace where we end up as if we’re gonna be there forever and build solid, stable and successful programs. Sink whatever money we have into building from the foundation up. Position ourselves so that we get called up rather than us looking so desperately for someone to take us. Just my take. Embrace the suck and turn it into something.

Who knows, maybe we’ll even be able to tell the MW to **** off someday when they need us. That’d be poetic justice!
I'm fully ready to embrace the suck.

The problem is I don't think we have the time to embrace it too long. The eastern teams will be gone in the next couple of years (if not the next couple of weeks) I believe. WKU and MT, if they're not in the MAC by next week, will probably end up as AAC/Sun Belt backfill when SMU and Memphis move on in a couple more years. Who knows what's going to happen with FIU, whether they drop down or not. Maybe LT is happy with the Texas schools or maybe they they're in the AAC/SB mix too. Then it's UTEP, NMSU, and a bunch of newbies. If the ads now don't impress you, then I doubt those will either. Incarnate Word? UTRGV? Is Trinity ready to jump from D3?

The reason we're here is complacency and lack of vision. I don't know if the complacency was that the Texas CUSA schools will drag us along with them or that the MWC would automatically take our calls. The fear I have is that if we're aligning with Texas again, we're just going to keep getting dragged down again.

Remember the speculation so far is 3 teams. That gets CUSA to 8. Is that the end this round or are we going to try to get to 10? If so, there's 2 extra FCS teams that won't be around to pick up in next reshuffling.

Anyways, that's 2 cents (and that's probably about what it's worth). And it sounded a lot better in my head than it did on paper.

Fair. I think kick time has an impact though.
What are your initial attendance predictions for next week? I won't hold you to them. Lol. Whatever you post on the official prediction thread will be your final answer. Curious to what you think today.

The problem is I don't think we have the time to embrace it too long. The eastern teams will be gone in the next couple of years (if not the next couple of weeks) I believe. WKU and MT, if they're not in the MAC by next week, will probably end up as AAC/Sun Belt backfill when SMU and Memphis move on in a couple more years. Who knows what's going to happen with FIU, whether they drop down or not. Maybe LT is happy with the Texas schools or maybe they they're in the AAC/SB mix too. Then it's UTEP, NMSU, and a bunch of newbies. If the ads now don't impress you, then I doubt those will either. Incarnate Word? UTRGV? Is Trinity ready to jump from D3?

The reason we're here is complacency and lack of vision. I don't know if the complacency was that the Texas CUSA schools will drag us along with them or that the MWC would automatically take our calls. The fear I have is that if we're aligning with Texas again, we're just going to keep getting dragged down again.

Remember the speculation so far is 3 teams. That gets CUSA to 8. Is that the end this round or are we going to try to get to 10? If so, there's 2 extra FCS teams that won't be around to pick up in next reshuffling.

Anyways, that's 2 cents (and that's probably about what it's worth). And it sounded a lot better in my head than it did on paper.
I think you have to get to 9 or 10 football playing members as soon as you can. And they have to be full members. If UConn and UMass are added for football only, they do no help if WKU and MTSU were to leave. I don’t think we want them (UMass/Conn) anyway.

I don’t know man. I can see the MWC being a very distant goal. I think wherever we end up we need to take the approach that this is where we belong…at least for the time being. Not looking to bolt every time the ground shakes.

Always wanting to be where we’re not has only taken deeper into the depths of despair. We need to embrace where we end up as if we’re gonna be there forever and build solid, stable and successful programs. Sink whatever money we have into building from the foundation up. Position ourselves so that we get called up rather than us looking so desperately for someone to take us. Just my take. Embrace the suck and turn it into something.

Who knows, maybe we’ll even be able to tell the MW to **** off someday when they need us. That’d be poetic justice!
Being Tier 1 helps, but winning seals the deal in the sports that matter.

What are your initial attendance predictions for next week? I won't hold you to them. Lol. Whatever you post on the official prediction thread will be your final answer. Curious to what you think today.
I’ll say that the FAU result is very important to the number. I will say 18,000 if they lose to FAU and 27,000 if they beat FAU. I think some UTSA fans make the trip if they’re still undefeated. Not like a large bunch, but a few hundred.

Reactions: JCorona
I’ll say that the FAU result is very important to the number. I will say 18,000 if they lose to FAU and 27,000 if they beat FAU. I think some UTSA fans make the trip if they’re still undefeated. Not like a large bunch, but a few hundred.
I have similar thoughts. If we lose to FAU and they lose to LT around 20k. If we both win might get to 30k. If we lose and they beat LT around 25k. Same 25k if we beat FAU and they lose to LT.

I have similar thoughts. If we lose to FAU and they lose to LT around 20k. If we both win might get to 30k. If we lose and they beat LT around 25k. Same 25k if we beat FAU and they lose to LT.
Losing to FAU takes a lot of steam out of this team. Not sure we get 25k no matter what UTSA does tonight

Reactions: FarWestTexas

All valid points. Well said. Last line made me laugh out loud cuz I can relate.

Reactions: STexMiner
I am liking a more regional conference potential. The MWC will probably go to 14 teams, next tv contract. Until then , focus on building around UTEP and La Tech. Add NMSU and it’s a travel bonus. If MTSU and WKU stay on, then you can build around them too. 8 to 10 school conference with a true region feel. Everyone looked down on UTSA and the Charlottes of the world. Now look at them. Personally I don’t buy the UTSA hype, they don’t have the backing a UNT does.

Geez man. Even if we beat FAU and are 7-1 playing a “rival” Texas team you’re saying the fans still won’t come out. 27k under those circumstances? No wonder no conferences want us

Geez man. Even if we beat FAU and are 7-1 playing a “rival” Texas team you’re saying the fans still won’t come out. 27k under those circumstances? No wonder no conferences want us
27k would be more than what 5-1 and future big 12 team Houston has drawn to their stadium this year.

Well Craig, I got news for you... We're going to stand pat too. How do you like that?
CUSA wants to strengthen along football lines with SB and MW? Then just pull the trigger and invite

SHSU
ACU
Liberty

Keep Marshall as our MILF for ratings and TV. Rumors are that they are not so quick to jump ship and talks are "not as far along". If Marshall stays, I got $20 WKU and maybe MTSU stay for Eastern side.

No one in the P5 schools will be lining up to take on SHSU and Liberty as they can play in any arena with any school.

Hell, traveling ain't easy but put in NDSU.

Wild hair up my anus prediction for East CUSA:

Liberty
Marshall
La Tech
WKU
MTSU

These guys will rule the roost for CUSA until next realignment.

Marshall is already in the Sun Belt and Liberty said yesterday don't want to join CUSA.

Wild hair up my anus prediction for West CUSA:

UTEP
NMSU
SHSU
Abilene Christian
La tech

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: FarWestTexas
Marshall is already in the Sun Belt and Liberty said yesterday don't want to join CUSA.
No.

Other sites saying nothing is a done deal for Marshall. Only USM is a done deal. They are listening but not agreed on as of this very minute and there is nothing that I saw, please show me because I may have missed it, regarding Liberty.

Phones are ringing every hour for these AD's. The end of the week may be clearer but as of right now nothing concrete.

The only school that has publicly been against UTEP is San Diego State. Their previous president just savaged us in an interview about expansion about five or six years ago. She was very critical of our hoops program.

It's never been made public, however it's thought Boise is against us. That's not shocking.

The new school that's been mentioned lately in Wyoming. From the stories they have been slipping in enrollment for a while and want Texas schools in the MWC to try to recruit students from the Texas metros. Their gripe is that UTEP isn't really part of Texas and doesn't help them raising their visibility among college applicants in Texas.
What’s Boise’s beef with us?

Wyoming has never liked us right?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT